1911 Government Appendix Carry

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
If it works for you with the gun that's great.

AIWB is fast, the gun is close to the body, and you can freely access the gun sitting down and in most other settings. I often carry the Sig (not the 1911 but the 365) as AIWB. I've found the 45s a bit cumbersome for me personally to aiwb so it's usually strong side pancake with outer garment.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Never tried appendix carry, I'm a bit chunky and I like IWB for both firearm (no matter which platform or size) and also IWB for double mag carrier (have matching one for all my holsters)

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

2aCrisis

Fanatic
Anyone still looking at this thread? i have tried larger handguns AIWD, like my Glock36 or 1911, but have had trouble bending at the waist. i do carry my smaller pistols and j-frame that way all the time now, though. much better than the 4-5 o'clock position i used to carry, too much problems with my shoulder reaching back and up. are some holsters better than others for a 1911 size Appendix carry?

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone still looking at this thread? i have tried larger handguns AIWD, like my Glock36 or 1911, but have had trouble bending at the waist. i do carry my smaller pistols and j-frame that way all the time now, though. much better than the 4-5 o'clock position i used to carry, too much problems with my shoulder reaching back and up. are some holsters better than others for a 1911 size Appendix carry?
I have found that the shorter slides are more comfortable. I prefer the Commander and my T4 with 3.9" barrel. It comes down what you can put up with for 8-12 hours.

Holster adjustment is essential. This is why I use JM Custom Kydex and Tenicor with Discreet Carry Concepts clips and Pull the Dot loops. This gives you maximum versatility. You will need to adjust vertically and possibly change the angles. Sometimes a slight outboard cant solves the problem. I also always use a soft wedge (never molded kydex like the Velo 4 I have for my Commander).

Tenicor has several videos on holster setup.

PHLster has a good AIWB tutorial. They also have a web series.

Last edited: