1911 Front Site is loose

Chevy4wd

Wake me up when it's my turn to shoot.
I bought my first 1911 from my brother in law about 4-5 months ago. I was excited! After taking it to the range for the first time I noticed the front site was loose. I have attached some pics of the inside. I want to fix the front site so it won't fall off one day. I don't want really want to dump a bunch of money into a new set of sights because I would like to eventually trade up, but I can part with it when it has an issue that needs fixed.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Attachments

• DSCN7654.JPG
    DSCN7654.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • DSCN7655.JPG
    DSCN7655.JPG
    714.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN7656.JPG
    DSCN7656.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • DSCN7659.JPG
    DSCN7659.JPG
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 35

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The best way to fix it would be to take it to Mike Cyrwus and have him dovetail the front sight.
Buy this set and just use the front one: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16447/Product/1911_AUTO_SNAG_FREE_SIGHTS

You shouldn't be out more than $75 total but check with Mike to make sure on installation costs.

Chevy4wd

Wake me up when it's my turn to shoot.
That is kinda what I figured would need to be done. It did not look to me as if there was enough material on the front site left to be able to retake it.

What about using a tig welder to tack it in place? I used to be pretty good with one in college but don't have access to one currently. A good tig welder is on my wish list.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
That is kinda what I figured would need to be done. It did not look to me as if there was enough material on the front site left to be able to retake it.

What about using a tig welder to tack it in place? I used to be pretty good with one in college but don't have access to one currently. A good tig welder is on my wish list.

I'd be wary of the heat. Plus- welding would make it a lot harder to change later if you ever wanted to.

You did'nt hear it from me.... but JB WELD has temporaried a few loose sights.

By the time you dink around ...Mike C or other good 'smith with a milling machine could have added a dovetailed unit for the same time and aggravaton

Latest posts