12 Gauge Shotgun Dummy Rounds

LIVE_AGAIN

New Fanatic
Ok so I'm having some trouble finding some 12 gauge dummy rounds that fit the specifics I'm looking for.

Aluminum (or other metal)
Length of actual 2 3/4 shot shell (which is about 2 1/4 on a live round)

I appreciate any help given.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LIVE_AGAIN

New Fanatic
Yes I would prefer them to be all aluminum in order for them to last longer because the caddy I use to practice tends to dig into plastic and actual rounds.

The problem is that no one seems to list the actual length of the shell. I had picked up some hard plastic ones from Academy but they were too short to fit in the caddy.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
LIVE_AGAIN said:
Yes I would prefer them to be all aluminum in order for them to last longer because the caddy I use to practice tends to dig into plastic and actual rounds.

The problem is that no one seems to list the actual length of the shell. I had picked up some hard plastic ones from Academy but they were too short to fit in the caddy.

What kind of caddies, if you don;t mind me asking?

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
Shotshell dummy rounds are a pretty disposable item. For what you are going to spend on those all aluminum one you could probably pick up a used Lee shotshell reloader and make your own dummies. I bet you will be surprised how quickly the rims get chewed up even on the all aluminum ones.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
Check out the snap caps by A-Zoom.

If you use the Brownell's link on the homepage, I think it helps the forum.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the Brownells white dummy rounds the best. They are the same size, weight & feel. I have a box of them & haven't worn them out yet. The writing has rubbed off so I have to remember the white ones are dummy rounds. I don't have any other shells that are white.

I have some plastic snap caps ones, hate them. They are shorter, slick & just don't load the same. No a good substitute.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
I know a couple guys that make dummy rounds if you were interested in that. I have been using them. They are loaded with the spent primer and feel like live rounds.

dennishoddy

I made some dummy 12 ga rounds for a member once in a trade deal. Exact weight for a 1 1/8 oz load, using standard AA shells. He said they lasted for awhile, but didn't take to repetitive practice sessions.
I still think using original shells made inert to practice with is the key for reality. Just don't know how to make them long term reliable for practice.

Latest posts