Will I be denied cwp in sc?

shawn_248

Fanatic
Ive lived in sc my entire life. I plan on taking my cwp course next week. Only issue is I have a simple assault charge from when I was 16. (I'm 24 now) I called sled and they informed me my record was expunged. The lady was nice but uunable to tell me if it would affect me getting a cwp or not. I've purchased about 10 handguns in the last couple of years and background check always comes back clean and I walk out with my new gun within a few minutes. I also have a speeding ticket and at fault accident in the last 5 years. Anyone believe this will be denied?

Lupinus

Well-Known Fanatic
IANAL, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night.

But I'd say you are probably fine. If it was still on your record you'd have likely been flagged when trying to buy a firearm.

throttleup

Active Fanatic
Understand that SLED has the discretion to deny a CWP based on a HISTORY of disregarding SC law. This applies to multiple misdemeanors or a very bad driving record. Neither of which will get you denied the purchase of a firearm but SLED can use this information to deny your CWP. SLED will not pre-screen you. You have to submit your application and pay your non-refundable $50 to find out. If you want to appeal a denial, you must do so in writing within 30 days. Good luck.

shawn_248

Fanatic
I took my cwp class today and passed with a 100 on the shooting test and a 100 on the written test. Going to hand deliver my paperwork to sled in the morning and wait up to 90 days lol. Hoping for the best.

Latest posts