The list of Shame (places where concealed carry is banned)

craigp

Well-Known Fanatic
Wells Fargo banks do not have any signs posted. I've been to several different branches, no signs.

Tedge

Well-Known Fanatic
Ran across this on Google+. Didn't go through all 11 pages to see if it had been posted here already. Seems like it would be a better way to keep up with everything since there's no order in the thread (updated list on the first page or something similar)

http://friendorfoe.us/

Cohiba

Well-Known Fanatic
I would like to ask you to stop for a second and think.

IF you have to use a firearm to defend your life that means it is the gravest extreme, right?
I mean...its your life thats on the line.
If thats the case do you really give a crap if you get charged after the fact with having a pistol in a buisness that bans them?
Really?
You just faced death and came out alive and you care about a CWP charge.
Its actually very VERY unlikely that and charge would ever come and in fact I have never seen or heard of a single conviction of anyone who used their weapon in a justified manner.
A good shoot is a good shoot and a bad shoot is a bad shoot.
Its judged based on the situation around the shoot, not if there was a sign on the door or not or if you had a permit or not.
A person with a CWP in an establishment that allows carry that shoots someone without a justified reason is going down. permit or not.
And a person without a permit in a buisness that doesnt allow carry...who is justified in the shooting will tell you they could care less if they catcha sill illegal carry charge.
compared to being dead, i will take the fine.
But i am sure that theres some gunshop commandoes walking around, all suited up in photojournalist vests, nech knife hanging from a para-cord, 3 spare magazines at the ready, CWP clipped on thier belt who are worried more about show than use who could sweat such a thing.

beerman

Well-Known Fanatic
Did you consider that maybe the point of this list is simply so that we can avoid businesses that try to restrict our rights.

No offense Cohiba, but you sound like a broken record. Everyone here knows what you believe in by now, why not let others believe in what they want to, and they'll let you believe in what you want to. Don't turn every single thread you've ever posted in into a lecture on how everyone except you is bending over for the government. 'Murica!

Glockrunner

Well-Known Fanatic
Be forewarned, I got kicked out of N.Charleston City Hall today for having a IWB holster & mag carrier on my belt. Guard was adamate that it be removed before I could enter. I set the body scanner off if anyone wants to know.

Crazy crap I tell ya. I vist many Federal buildings and have never gotten a second look when they see the holster.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
Glockrunner said:
Be forewarned, I got kicked out of N.Charleston City Hall today for having a IWB holster & mag carrier on my belt. Guard was adamate that it be removed before I could enter. I set the body scanner off if anyone wants to know.

Crazy crap I tell ya. I vist many Federal buildings and have never gotten a second look when they see the holster.

i wasnt allowed entry to Spartanburg courthouse until i revoved my holster and went back to the car with it.

they also wouldnt let me bring in my handcuff key or the S&W saftey key. dont use it just had it on the keys. and my P=38 can opener.

uod

Active Fanatic
I noticed that West Ashley Toyota appears in the very first post on this thread. I wanted to give an update on this. They recently built a new building. I hesitantly went in there for service a few weeks back --- worried that was I going to see a no carry sign and then have to cancle my service appointment. Luckily, there was no sign on the service entrance. While I was waiting for the service to be completed, I walked around to inspect the other entrances. I couldn't find any anti-2A signage. Maybe they forgot to put it back up after they rebuilt? Maybe they had a change of heart? Either way ... this place is good to go for now. I'll post an update if I see anything change here.

AngryGunner

Active Fanatic
Refused to go in Goodwill Goose Creek today with my wife. The no CW sign was all jacked up! I will not give to them any longer. maybe the kidney foundation thrift shop I will look to see if they have a sign. I don't think so.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
AngryGunner said:
Refused to go in Goodwill Goose Creek today with my wife. The no CW sign was all jacked up! I will not give to them any longer. maybe the kidney foundation thrift shop I will look to see if they have a sign. I don't think so.

I believe the Salvation Army does not have a policy against firearms; that might be an alternative.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
Just a friendly reminder:

It is not a criminal offense to carry a concealed weapon into a business or other private property if there is a sign or verbal direction prohibiting it.

If you go visit your aunt's house and before you enter she says "No weapons allowed" or if you go to K-Mart and there are huge "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS" signs everywhere, and you enter anyways, you are not breaking any law.

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating ?No Concealable Weapons Allowed? shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

South Carolina Code 16-11-620. Entering premises after warning or refusing to leave on request; jurisdiction and enforcement

Any person who, without legal cause or good excuse, enters into the dwelling house, place of business, or on the premises of another person after having been warned not to do so or any person who, having entered into the dwelling house, place of business, or on the premises of another person without having been warned fails and refuses, without good cause or good excuse, to leave immediately upon being ordered or requested to do so by the person in possession or his agent or representative shall, on conviction, be fined not more than two hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than thirty days.
All municipal courts of this State as well as those of magistrates may try and determine criminal cases involving violations of this section occurring within the respective limits of such municipalities and magisterial districts. All peace officers of the State and its subdivisions shall enforce the provisions hereof within their respective jurisdictions.

The provisions of this section shall be construed as being in addition to, and not as superseding, any other statutes of the State relating to trespass or entry on lands of another.

Under the law, if you carry a weapon into a place that the owner/operator doesn't want you to, then you are to be treated like any other "trespasser" for any other reason they don't want you there. They must ask or instruct you to leave. Once you refuse to comply with their directive are you now, finally, committing a criminal offense.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
what does this one say?

The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
what does this one say?

The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

It means police are not ever unlawfully carrying weapons, concealed or otherwise, in South Carolina.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
we had a son that worked security at westgate mall and he said if he saw or suspected a carry all he could do was ask him to leave and call a cop if they refuse.

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
So if I understand this correctly, presence of a compliant sign does not carry the force of law, only the possibility of being asked to leave and/or a trespassing charge? I am relatively new to SC and thought I remembered both code and previous posts on this board stating it was a felony, with all the attendant problems.

My quick perusal of the code at the SLED site shows Avtomat-Acolyte to be correct (thanks for pointing this out) but it carries an awfully big risk if there's a loophole somewhere.

Now we just need to get CC at alcohol serving areas passed next year, like we had in VA. I've found carrrying on a motorcycle to be a royal PIA because of this.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
This may be deserving of its own sticky thread, but what about the list of places that allow local and state laws to prevail?

Here's a site asking for listings of gun friendly businesses. I haven't formed a complete opinion yet, as in the end it might not be much different than the site that lets you report "dangerous" gun owners.

http://www.gunsallowedhere.com/

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
I was disappointed to see a new sign up at the local GHS YMCA here in Simpsonville.

I'm a swimmer so it's not like I can carry anyway (tough to conceal in a speedo right :eek: )

I know the director and am going to ask why the change all of the sudden? I don't think the sign follows proper protocol either. Have to double check the requirements.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
MCA said:
I know the director and am going to ask why the change all of the sudden? I don't think the sign follows proper protocol either. Have to double check the requirements.

I wouldn't point out that the sign is non-compliant. The last thing you want them to do is fix it and post a compliant sign.

Latest posts