SC Constitutional Carry and Open Carry

Howland

Fanatic
There are four Constitutional Carry bills introduced in South Carolina, two each in each chamber. All four versions legalize open carry, require reciprocity with licenses from every state and appear to rescind Duty to Notify. Each was referred to the respective chamber's Committee on Judiciary on 1/12/21. I have yet to find the Committee calendars so I can't see if any have been scheduled for hearings. Not ever getting onto the calendars is how leadership has killed all previous attempts. This is on the leadership and Committee Chairmen, but some legislators may be in on the bait and switch and just posturing as cosponsors.

S 32, S 155, H 3039 and H 3096, all titled SC Constitutional Carry Act of 2021.

The Open Carry (H-3094) bill did make it to a House subcommittee with a hearing held on February 4th. The bill was referred out to the full House. It has a good chance of getting a floor vote as the leaders of both chambers support the bill.

The Governor has said that if the bill makes it to his desk, he will absolutely sign it into law. A further bright note is that Representative Jonathon Hill (R-Townville) plans to offer an ammendment to expand this to Constitutional Carry should it make it to the calendar for a vote of the full House.

601c639ea90be.image.jpg
Trained SC gun owners could carry openly in public under bill lawmakers expect to pass

Some gun rights supporters argue the "open carry with training" bill would be a sensible expansion without going as far as other advocates who prefer a "constitutional carry" measure, which
icon.ico
www.postandcourier.com

milkmanjoe

Fanatic
There are four Constitutional Carry bills introduced in South Carolina, two each in each chamber. All four versions legalize open carry, require reciprocity with licenses from every state and appear to rescind Duty to Notify. Each was referred to the respective chamber's Committee on Judiciary on 1/12/21. I have yet to find the Committee calendars so I can't see if any have been scheduled for hearings. Not ever getting onto the calendars is how leadership has killed all previous attempts. This is on the leadership and Committee Chairmen, but some legislators may be in on the bait and switch and just posturing as cosponsors.

S 32, S 155, H 3039 and H 3096, all titled SC Constitutional Carry Act of 2021.

The Open Carry (H-3094) bill did make it to a House subcommittee with a hearing held on February 4th. The bill was referred out to the full House. It has a good chance of getting a floor vote as the leaders of both chambers support the bill.

The Governor has said that if the bill makes it to his desk, he will absolutely sign it into law. A further bright note is that Representative Jonathon Hill (R-Townville) plans to offer an ammendment to expand this to Constitutional Carry should it make it to the calendar for a vote of the full House.

601c639ea90be.image.jpg
Trained SC gun owners could carry openly in public under bill lawmakers expect to pass

Some gun rights supporters argue the "open carry with training" bill would be a sensible expansion without going as far as other advocates who prefer a "constitutional carry" measure, which
icon.ico
www.postandcourier.com

All great news. I been sick and out of the loop, Thanks for this heads-up.

Imaduckin

Well-Known Fanatic
open carry passed with training and goes into effect 90 days from signing, as a virginian who moved to sc last august im not a fan of open carry(va was a open carry state), the folks walking around with 1911s and assorted other big guns on their hip make alot of antigun folks cringe and push back harder. besides that if a mass shooter walks into a store whos going to be the first guy he shoots, the guy with a gun showing, not to mention the thugs walking around have learned how to relieve you of your gun from behind. In this political mess we are in it only gives the snowflakes something else to whine about, just an opinion from a old guy who has seen the world change and not for the better

Howland

Fanatic
I will not give up the element of surprise by carrying openly. More correctly, being able to reverse the element of surprise. The initial advantage will always go to the one initiating action. Open Carry gives up a tactical advantage. I don't care if the anti gun folks cringe. How can they push back harder than they are already? They can go hide out in their safe spaces.

I do appreciate those who carry openly. It desensitizes people and conditions them to accept firearms carry as normal and common.

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
Despite flaws in the bill the big payoff and progress in our ability to exercise our rights is not being liable for failure to conceal in situations allowing concealed carry (and open carry).

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
This. No BS for printing inadvertently, and (maybe) no more rangers telling me I can't carry a gun at the outdoor gun range.

rum4

Active Fanatic
I hope people read the law before making a mistake, not having a CWP, open carrying.
Hopefully it'll open up better chances to the law in the future.

Howland

Fanatic
Hopefully it'll open up better chances to the law in the future.

An improvement would be Constitutional Carry which again was allowed to die in Senate committee without hearings despite being passed by the House. Fortunately an ammendment was proposed to Open Carry which would have made the bill Constitutional Carry which forced a roll call vote. We now know the names of Senators who support the continued criminalization of bearing arms without permission and prior restraint of that right.

Bennett-R/38
Campsen-R/43
Gustafson-R/27
Hembree-R/28
Johnson, Michael-R/16
Leatherman-R/31
Massey-R/25
Rankin-R/33
Senn-R/41

If these are your Senators, start looking for their replacements early in the primary season. At least four need to be primaried. All nine would be even better. Shockingly, all Democrat Senators voted to kill Constitutional Carry.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
We didn't get Constitutional Carry in SC, but we did get Open Carry with CWP, while it's not ideal I'd rather take the win we got instead of lament on the loss of Constitutional Carry, remember how Texas got Constitutional Carry. I'd say we follow that example and use the momentum as a push for Constitutional Carry again.

Two Nickels

Fanatic
As a CWP holder I am required to presnt it to a LEO when carrying if he/she has initiated contact with me.
I am curious if carrying openly will cause more contact with LEO's simply because they know I am required to identify myself if carrying.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
As a CWP holder I am required to presnt it to a LEO when carrying if he/she has initiated contact with me.
I am curious if carrying openly will cause more contact with LEO's simply because they know I am required to identify myself if carrying.
All the crying whining Libby's have stated that if they see anyone Open Carrying they're calling the Cops on said individuals. So most likely if you Open Carry often you'll be stopped and asked to provide credentials, but if it happens more than a couple times then it's not asking for identification it becomes harassment, so each time you get stopped by a LEO ALWAYS ask for their Business Card/Contact Info and their Badge Number.

Imaduckin

Well-Known Fanatic
as i stated earlier im not a fan of open carry and the obvious problems/danger it can cause, theres always going to be a karen to cause problems in the political environment we live in but i do agree we shouldnt need a permit to open carry, training yes, especially for first time gun owners.

mossy930spx

Fanatic
I was very happy to see this pass. Will help with any unnecessary printing or brandishing charges going forward.

I agree concealed is preferable way to carry. I followed the senate hearing. Constitutional carry was real close.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
I was very happy to see this pass. Will help with any unnecessary printing or brandishing charges going forward.

I agree concealed is preferable way to carry. I followed the senate hearing. Constitutional carry was real close.
Yup August 15th is the day for Open Carry with SC CWP (Or Valid Reciprocal CWP)

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
I believe failure to conceal may still apply where open carry is not permitted. I see this as a hollow victory for those actually interested in open carry, because they still have to dress and holster to conceal if encountering one of the signs that prohibits public open carry. I even saw such a sign at the SCDNR range in Pickens. Imagine that, okay for me but not for thee at a gun range, for crying out loud. That overwhelming desire to control still lingers in SC.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always thought it ridiculous that I can't carry a gun at the gun range. FFS people. The ranger even pushed back against my friend carrying - who is an active deputy sheriff - until we had a chat with him.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always thought it ridiculous that I can't carry a gun at the gun range. FFS people. The ranger even pushed back against my friend carrying - who is an active deputy sheriff - until we had a chat with him.
That's ridiculous, though apparently from what those in the Senate said you can't carry around a long gun without a permit out in the open no problem, it's just when it comes to handguns you can't open carry while hunting or fishing actively, which honestly was a crock of bs in my opinion. While this isn't the most ideal situation we have open carry with permit, perhaps if we normalize open carry in more areas without incident we'll be able to use it as precedence for constitutional carry like Texas.

Latest posts