Relocation question

jwpetro

New Fanatic
Hi all.
My search-fu must be weak, because I can't nail down an answer to a question:
If I move from NC to SC, what must I do to obtain my SC CCW? Paperwork and vision test, or must I do the entire process all over?
Can I legally carry on my NC permit til it expires?

Thanks in advance!

throttleup

Active Fanatic
Sorry, you must have a SC CWP whenever you have a SC drivers license. You can carry on your NC CHP until then. South Carolina only recognizes permits from states that you are a resident of. That precludes say, a Georgia resident from carrying concealed in SC on a Utah permit. As soon as you officially become a SC resident, you are expected to obtain and posses a SC CWP.

Classes are available everywhere and just about every week. Yes, you have to attend the class, pass the written test, pass the range qualification, submit your application (with a copy of your SC drivers license) and wait for the permit to arrive in the mail. Many are now receiving theirs in as little as 4 weeks. If you are going to be in the Myrtle Beach area, I can help you. Good luck.

jwpetro

New Fanatic
Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured..just not what I hoped!
I used to move around alot for work, and I've lost count of the number of times I've taken the darn CCW classes! Oh well, what's one more day I guess...

BTW, if I move, which I may know by next week, I'll be living near Columbia, but will have projects in Myrtle, so I may look you up throttleup!

Yankee

Fanatic
I am a Pennsylvania resident who spends a considerable amount of time in SC. While in SC I would like to go to a range now and then and fire my handgun to maintain some level of proficiency. I don't think PA and SC has a reciprocity agreement in place so my CCW permit from PA is worthless in SC, BUT being a law abiding citizen and not wanting to take any chances, how do I legally transport a firearm and ammo from where i am residing in SC to/from a shooting venue in SC? I am not looking to get a CCW in SC but will gladly do so if this is what it takes for me to transport a firearm in my vehicle. FWIW I will have the firearm unloaded, separated from ammunition and in a locked container while being transported.

Yankee

Fanatic
Well folks, I ain't going nowhere until this COVID 19 mess is brought under control. Here in PA we are on the verge of hysteria with a lot of it being driven by the media. Our governor Wolf has, for quite some time now, close down ALL the liquor stores - state wide. Nobody is able to understand HOW closing the booze stores is going to help with this COVID 19 stuff!! It must be that us folks here in PA are somehow not mature enough, or maybe we are all drunks, and can not be trusted by THE GOVERNMENT to handle hard spirits. All the CARE facilities that dole out Marijuana are open.... We can buy beer and wine in grocery stores as long as the 6' distance is maintained between other people. All the cashiers are now working from behind Plexiglas barriers that probably give some protection from spit / coughs and the like. I am however, doing a lot of walking on the local trails and doing push ups and such there as well. Actually too darned cold to do any shooting. All the gun clubs here that I am aware of have suspended organized shooting: rifle matches / trap / skeet / sporting clays / 5 stand and the like. AND - local police and state police too are concentrating on major crimes and not busting folks for not using a turn signal and such. Oh - almost forgot. Since I am a veteran (USMC) I use the VA facilities in Coatsville, PA and they do a GREAT job!! Went there for my scheduled blood work and had to go through a kind-of "Pre Screening" on arrival at the facility. Everything went smooth as grease through a goose and the next week my VA doctor called and did the interview over the phone. I need to get a Shingles "booster" and they are going to push this back several months. BTW - I am going to live forever.... All the tests were either right on the money or better.

Latest posts