Looking for some experienced suggestions...

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife owns a Glock 26 sub-compact 9mm. Awesome little pistol and I would not hesitate to carry it myself with some +P 124gr HP.

However...she wants something even smaller for purse carry. Yes I understand, as does she, that purse carry isn't the ideal but I would rather buy her something she is comfortable with rather than insist on her carrying something she is not. Hey, I might inherit the G26 as well :D

Anyway, I am looking for some opinions on sub-compact 9mm carry guns that may be smaller in dimension and/or weight compared to the G26. She has some small hands to boot. I really do not want to get into another caliber for us (.38) so I am hoping y'all may have some insight?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies and opinions. It is greatly appreciated.

--Mike

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
I have shot the Glock 26, Ruger LC9 and Keltec PF9. The Ruger and Keltec both carry/conceal well due to their reduced size. Both of them are a handful to shoot. There is more recoil than the Glock and less gun to hold on to. If your wife has small hands, the reduced size of the Ruger or Keltec might not be a problem for her.

In my opinion, I would not recommend the Ruger and Keltec to a beginner shooter unless they plan to spend some time getting used to shooting them.

Have her shoot a few different ones at a range that lets you rent guns and see how they fit her before you buy.

Mark

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i have a shield 9mm. if you want you can try it. i love it. id rather carry a 45 but i switch around.

i have large hands and i like the mag with the extension. it comes with one with and one without.

we need to meet at the range anyway.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
+1 for the shield. I've shot and handled the Ruger, Keltec, Beretta Nano, and the Sig 9xx subcompact and the S&W is the nicest to shoot hands-down. I will say that none of them are easy to shoot twice (lots of muzzle climb, even with standard pressure rounds).

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
SOB! I just typed out a great reply thanking you all and saying that 9mm is what we are going to stick with and it disappeared when I hit submit.

Anyway, thank you for the replies and the suggestions.

Going to hit Sharpshooters Range here in G'Ville where I have a membership and can rent guns for free. Try to convince my wife that she already has an awesome carry pistol.

Cheers to y'all. Have a great weekend! Thanks again.

GreenBlood10

Active Fanatic
MCA said:
Try to convince my wife that she already has an awesome carry pistol.

^^ There were a lot of great alternatives listed above, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Maybe instead of getting a new gun to fit her purse, you could buy her a new purse that fits her gun. Cheaper and would probably make her happier. I know my wife would pass out if I let her get another purse.

GB

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
GreenBlood10 said:
MCA said:
Try to convince my wife that she already has an awesome carry pistol.

^^ There were a lot of great alternatives listed above, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Maybe instead of getting a new gun to fit her purse, you could buy her a new purse that fits her gun. Cheaper and would probably make her happier. I know my wife would pass out if I let her get another purse.

GB

Bingo! Great idea GB! I couldn't think of a better way to go about this and I get bonus points for the new purse to boot.

Thanks for your input.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
The pocket 9s get tough to shoot.

You may want to look at 380s or 38 snubbies, which can also be tough to shoot.

Maybe a bigger purse or more comfortable carry method is in order.

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
Well that was an easy fix :cool:

My wife already went out and bought a new purse and followed that up by heading to the new PSA store here and loaded up on some 9mm ammo for herself, some .45 for me, and some .22LR for our son. It was a wonderful sight to see: My smiling wife coming through the door with a new purse and boxes of ammo. A very happy ending to something I thought was going in a completely different direction.

GB I owe you a beer when you move down here!

And thanks again everyone for the replies and your input. I appreciate it.

Cheers to a nice holiday weekend.

--Mike

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
MCA said:
Going to hit Sharpshooters Range here in G'Ville where I have a membership and can rent guns for free.

I am a member at sharpshooters too! I try to shoot 1-2 x a month. If you see a guy with a psa hat it may be me.

Bradley

Well-Known Fanatic
Sig 938. Functionality of a 1911, small 9 mm, and you can carry in your pocket when she doesnt want to carry her purse.