Gun Owner's of South Carolina

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
As GrassRoots is defunct at least for the time being, I was wondering what folks think of GOSC (http://www.gosc.org/).

On one hand I want to support a local gun rights organization; real world concerted political action is much more effective than agitating on the internet.

On the other hand I don't really feel motivated to volunteer my time or money if GOSC is dominated by "fudds" who will throw shooters of black rifles, Cowboy Action Shooting, IDPA/USPSA, NFA stuff, and so on to preserve double barreled shotguns and slow fire target rifles.

Does anyone have real info on their positions and past actions/advocacy?

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
Correction -- the paragraph should read:

On the other hand I don't really feel motivated to volunteer my time or money if GOSC is dominated by "fudds" who will throw shooters of black rifles, Cowboy Action Shooting, IDPA/USPSA, NFA stuff, and so on off the bus in order to preserve double barreled shotguns and slow fire target rifles.

I think that makes more sense!

The General

Well-Known Fanatic
Take a quick look at the earlier posts on the Grassroots thread for more details (without totally repeating myself).

GOSC is not a bunch of duck hunters with double barrels, etc. In fact, if you're an NFA guy, you would know that it wasn't that long ago most folks considered Full Auto illegal in SC 'cause the law seemed to read that way. By carefully observing the location of the commas in the law, it became apparent that it was legal and the AG would no longer interpret it any other way. You have to read two sections of the law to realize that it is legal for private citizens to own. GOSC worked with the Legislature and AG to make sure it was intepretted correctly from that point forward.

As an overall comment, if you look more closer these days, you'd see that the NRA magazines carry mostly articles about AR platforms. Sure, the 'American Hunter' magazine is for Fudds, but the 'Rifleman' covers ALL guns and 'First Freedom' is all about legislation. If you're not familiar with these magazines, then borrow one from an NRA member and start reading!!!

NRA (and GOSC by extension) believes in one fundamental truth: Your right to own firearms shall not be infringed. Its not about duck hunting, or self protection, but protection from the Gvt. Anyone who has ever heard Wayne LaPierre would agree with that in a heartbeat (http://home.nra.org/classic.aspx/blog)

NRA and its state associations depend on one thing: The people that do the work. And I'm not talking about paid employees, I'm talking about the volunteers that coordinate other gun owners. You may or may not be surprised to learn that less than 3% of gun owners bother to do anything other than shoot (or hunt). Only 3% get off their butts and FIGHT for their rights. GOSC is always looking for folks that want to act as district coordinators. But have no illusion - Its not about being handed a bunch of volunteers and ready-made work. Its about being the organizer and FINDING more people and then representing GOSC by helping folks in or running for office that support the 2nd Amendment.

Also, recognize that GOSC is NOT a political organization - We're a Gun Rights organization, and although the difference might seem small, tell that to the Tax Man!! So we're unable to endorse candidates officially. However, we can send volunteers to assist that candidate in getting out the message for his support for the 2nd Amendment. Get it??

GOSC doesn't send out newsletters, or hold big rallys just to make noise. We're more of the quite type that simply works behind the scenes with our Legislators and the community. You know, walk softly and carry a big stick....

-Mike

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
Great info, thanks.

DW and I are already NRA members... I'm not anti-NRA, but I know that some of the state chapters have different takes on things. As a displaced Alaskan I've found that there's a, erm, significant difference in the culture down here about firearms and wasn't sure if it permeated the local state chapter too.

We may look into GOSC a bit more as things settle down.

Latest posts