Your Mil-Surps, show and tell.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I would like to see some pics of your Mil Surp rifles, as well as any handguns. I don't want just another picture thread. I would like pictures of individual guns, from both sides if possible. Then tell us everything you know about it. If you don't know much about it, tell us what you know and maybe we can help you out.

I'll show you what I mean, here's my Garand.

garand003.jpg

garand002.jpg

This is my March of '45 Springfield M1 Garand. It has a March of '45 barrel, and the stock has all the right cartouches to make it possibly the original stock. It does have lock-bar rear sights, which would not be original to the rifles date of manufacture. It's all Springfield parts, except for the hammer, which is stamped for Winchester Repeating Arms. The barrel is in great condition, I think the rifle may have spent it's time with a parade ground unit, or something similar. The gun has lots of handling wear, but very little wear from being shot.

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
I'll start with my Garand as well.

1955 SA 5.88 Garand CMP Service Grade with original barrel that gauges MW at a 1 and the TE around 1.5. The bolt and op rod are HRA from the same time period, and there are a couple small internal parts that are not correct as well (safety and hammer spring guide). Photos #1, 2, and 3 are the rifle in a CMP Service Grade Special Stock and #4 is the rifle in an HRA 1/2" DAS stock.

GARAND018E2.jpg

GARAND025E2.jpg

CMPStock028E.jpg

GIStock021edited.jpg

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
I don't have multiple photos of the rifles below with the exception of the Yugo SKS, but here's some info starting from the rifles on the left to right...

CommBloc005E3.jpg

1. 1943 Mosin Nagant Izhevsk 91/30 repro PU sniper. Scope is a reproduction (or at least a more recent eastern bloc production), but the mount and base are original surplus parts. I have refinished the wartime era stock with an aged oil finish technique.

2. 1942 VKT Finnish M39. Built on a 1901 Izhevsk receiver. Rear sight and lower band have a plum colored finish. Barrel has an 11 degree target crown. Looks to be a post war Finn refurb due to the square stock splices and dark finish on the metal parts with the exception of the rear sight and stock band.

3. 1979 Yugoslavian 59/66 SKS. The rifle is an unfired Cherry's import. I took this rifle out of cosmoline and is mint condition down the the armorer's pencil markings on the stock.

4. WASR 10/63 (I guess this counts as a milsurp). I have refinished the stock with a mixture of Minwax Sedona Red followed by Fiebing's medium brown dye to get the plum color that I was after. The clear coat finish is Minwax tung oil finish. It is wearing a Kalinka BP side mount and red dot scope in the photo.

coolhandluke

Active Fanatic
And lastly here are my two Lee Enfields...

1943 No 4 MK 1* Savage (no drill and tap repro sniper)

Below are a few pics of my setup. I found the 40's era Weaver K2.5 at a gunshop for $30 while visiting family in Albuquerque. I short time later I purchased the S&K mount used on eBay for around $35 shipped. The rifle was actually the third piece that I purchased. The furniture was in bad shape so I picked up a used stock (one in photo) and a second new FTR stock that I use when shooting with iron sights. Pics don't do the rifle justice. The patina on the scope matches the rifle perfectly and it does look the part of a 70 year old sniper rifle. The S&K mount is rock solid and after a little work with steel wool, the finish on the mount and rings matches the rifle pretty well. The cheek rest is a Numrich walnut repro piece that I stained to match using an aged oil technique. I purchased the brass screws at Ace Hardware (brass No 8 wood screws). Either brass or black oxide screw finish would have looked correct, but I opted for the brass screws since they matched the brass buttplate that I installed along with the brass endcaps on the scope and brass keepers on my sling (original 1918 Hoyt).

FauxT047E.jpg

FauxT044E.jpg

FauxT016E.jpg

Enfield033Edited-1.jpg

Enfield009edited2.jpg

Enfield054edited-1.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

1955 Fazakerley No 4 MK II

Rifle is in mint unissued condition and has not been fired since it left the armory. I picked it up in a trade with a member of another board for a vintage Mickey Mantle baseball glove that I had a total of $1.00 invested in (purchased at a thrift store).

No4MKII014e.jpg

No4MKII031edited.jpg

flatwins

New Fanatic
This is more of a teaser photo than anything else since the action of the rifle is at Franson's getting the "required for importation" barrel extension removed but here it is after seven coats of linseed oil cut with turpentine.

1904 Swedish M94 carbine

photo12.jpg

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
My M1 Carbine that's been unbubba'd (Manfactured Jan of 1943 Standard Products):
8qEURKA.jpg

My CMP M1 Garand (Manfactured Jan of 1944 SA):
aeAYIe1.jpg

My Type 53 Mosin M44:
M3PytlJ.jpg

My Bubba'd Krag: (Note: It's at my Gunsmith getting unbubba'd, previous owner "tried" to turn it into a Carbine.)
xfQSj2N.jpg

My Cavalry Carcano: (Yes It's beat up, but i got it for $99 so expect worse for wear.)
R2TbAqn.jpg

My PolyTech M14/S:
dqX6jnD.jpg

My Turkish Ankara M38 Mauser:
mDJsdhT.jpg

My Type 56 SKS (Manufactured 1956/57):

EKHf2E5.jpg

Most of my Surplus Rifles have bayonets with the exception of my Krag and my Turkish Mauser.

Last edited:

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you shoot them?
I shoot all my guns, I own no safe queens only workhorses.
The builds aren't done yet, so they're not in shootable condition.
I'm in the process of converting a Federal Arms FA91 to a G3 Style PTR 91 GIR Receiver and in the process of trying to build a CETME.

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I shoot all my guns, I own no safe queens only workhorses.
Even shoot my new guns from my safe, no queens in there..
Love the old wood & steel freedom firearms that changed the world..
Shoot them every chance I get.

Do you hand load for them?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Cool place to shop.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
Cool place to shop.
Yup I know all the online surplus stores for parts.

Latest posts