Work on vehicles

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Well was headed to pick up some goodies to start loading some 40 and on the way the truck started acting funny and died! WTF, got it off the highway and thgought for a second, turned the key and no fuel pump noise grrrrr so pretty sure the fuel pump crapped out.

Anyone know anyone that is respectable and more reasonable than the dealership that can work on a 2003 1500HD? pretty sure it's the fuel pump but I'm no mechanic. Thanks fella's! Later,

Kirk

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
be sure to check the fuse for the fuel pump... I have had that happen before and felt dumb because I had already gone to get all the parts when my father mentioned checking the electrical side

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
Has your fuel gauge been acting up? Those GM trucks are notorious for the fuel pump crapping the bed shortly after the guage stops being accurate. It isn't that big of a job even laying in a driveway. But its especially easier when you have a car lift and a trans jack.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Has your fuel gauge been acting up? Those GM trucks are notorious for the fuel pump crapping the bed shortly after the guage stops being accurate. It isn't that big of a job even laying in a driveway. But its especially easier when you have a car lift and a trans jack.
I went through 3 fuel pumps in my silverado before I go a "good one".
It was easier to just pull the bed off than to drop the tank.

imacgyver

Founding Member
I just changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter on my nissan - felt funny tonight. I need to check the oil level in the morning

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Got with my buddy Ross and he has it now, I hate spending money but hey when you don't have the tools to work on stuff anymore sometimes ya gotta suck it up and just pay someone. I called one of the dealerships and they were saying $1000-$1200 :-O yeah right I said! I do know that my pistol purchase just got put on the back burner though :-( Later,

Kirk

Copper01

Well-Known Fanatic
with two ratchet straps and a floor jack you can change one by yourself in have it back on the road in under 45 mins with out pulling the bed

Can you elaborate? I've found pulling the bed fairly easy, even by myself. Of course my truck is mostly a farm truck and beat to heck so a few more dents don't bother me.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've changed one before and we dropped the tank, it wasn't that bad but I also had the tools to do the job with, now I've just got the tools to work on my 3 wheeler. Since I got the house now I can start to gather tools back up to where I can actually do something myself. Brian K your the man it took me a couple of hours! Later,

Kirk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
with two ratchet straps and a floor jack you can change one by yourself in have it back on the road in under 45 mins with out pulling the bed
it always seemed to happen to me with a full tank :)

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
Find a MityVac fluid evacuator. You can get them from Sears or any of the big tool guys. Mine is deffinatly in my favorite tools list.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine is acting up to and I've researched the crap out of them I found a new pump for 250$ it does seem like a do it your self job as long as you have a lift . The main contributor to this is running your tank on empty alot . It causes the fuel pumps to over heat . Also on your fuel rail you can hook up a gauge to read the pressure . See if you get a hiss when you remove your gas cap. Good place to order parts is a web site named rock auto part.com you can find cheap ones to high end ones. The fuse for the fuel pump can be switched out with your air comp fuse to make sure that's not the problem.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea I don't have the tools I used to to work on vehicles, hell I used to enjoy it! these days seems I'm running all over and time is short. I know enough about these new vehicles I just don't like to work on them other than normal stuff. Sucks being a long way from all your running buddies where you can offer beer and have more folks show up than you need :) Later,

Kirk

Latest posts