What's your favorite Battle Rifle?

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a nice M1A Scout Squad , bought "previously owned, but was unfired / new. Looked for a used one for a long time..(years) found this on a local gun forum, old guy bought it, passed before he ever shot it. His young neighbor bought his collection, & resold them.Said he was going to keep the M1A for himself, but changed his mind. (don't think he was much of a shooter) Anyway, my good fortune. M1A became my favorite rifle to shoot, a soft-shooter in an accurate caliber.

Used it X 10 yrs. then decided to try an AR-10.. after getting the AR dialed in, enjoyed shooting it more. Love the ease of modifying an AR,. compared to the M1a , Quickly learned doing anything to the rifle entailed a lot of work and / or a hefty cost. The Ar was more accurate , on top of that..at least with me tripping the trigger.

I encourage everyone to get their "bucket list" firearms, it's very satisfying, to get something you've wanted for years.
I have no regrets with any of my purchases, but I did sell my M1, after I realized I hadn't shot it since I got the AR-10...
Sold it for more than I paid for it..that was nice too.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The only one they gave me was a M-16(AF). I would have preferred the one my brother got an M-14. But I did have a M-60 when in a HH-53.
My son got to shoot a m60 at the range when he and a friend babysat it for some guardsmen. At first they didn't want them to shoot it when my sons loud mouth friend asked if they could, but the other guy said you pay taxes you're paying for the ammo so go ahead. My son kept that target on his wall for years. Wouldn't any 19 year boy in the 80's have jumped at the chance. I wish I could have done it!!! Good times!

krglorioso

Well-Known Fanatic
1903 Springfield and M-1 Rifle. The latter I used during my (peacetime) Marine Corps service. The former (I have two custom sporters) for nostalgia remembering Marines of WWI and the 1930s "Banana Wars". I'll have to add the Browning Automatic Rifle M-1918 to fully date myself.

Ralph

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

By about 1750, the rifle that had been developed was light and deadly accurate. It was long—between five and six feet in length—but graceful and well-balanced. Because the weapon had been modified over the years in a number of places, it was called by a variety of names: the Kentucky rifle, the Tennessee rifle, and the Pennsylvania rifle. Because it was such a hybrid, changed and modified by many so people in so many different places, it was most accurately called the American long rifle.

Shooting one of these rifles, made my nostrils flare & my Blood rush through my American Veins.

Surrounded by Smoke & other rifles spitting out Lead, I could feel the rush my Forefathers felt
when they drove the British from our Soil Forever.
This is my Favorite rifle, just look at it's roots, here in America they were forged into a weapon for Freedom.

krglorioso

Well-Known Fanatic
Mkke : That is great! So well stated. Made me stop and think about our heritage. I love the old quote from an unknown author, "The British tried to take away our guns. We shot them". To modern US gun confiscators, I call their attention to George Santayana's sage comment, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

Ralph

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
saw this in my inbox & reminded me of this thread..

https://www.pewpewtactical.com has some good articles & videos to watch, if you aren't aware of their site.
Perhaps they should have paid more attention in Basic. o_O
full metal jacket GIF

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
AR 1.jpg
This is why I like the AR format.. I can shoot it better than most the other rifles I own..
The 308 group is from My AR-10 , the 223 group is one of my AR-15's.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I do not like to brag.
At 200 yards 20 rounds prone with a MR52 target I shot a 197-13x.
M1A NM I built, & Federal God Medal .308, leather jacket, Mat, Turner Leather Sling & Gehman glove.

Man & I was just a master at that time, the High Masters took their M1As & cleaned it. 200 points like they did at 600 yards. .
So please accept my inability to understand, but hell I was there. My rifles make 1/2 minute or thy get rebedded.

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not even close to your shooting ability, my target was from 50 yds.. as our club's 100 yd. range has uncovered shooting positions,
& I have to stay out of the sun, as much as possible. The 50 yd range has covered positions, I'm out of the sun..
I accept I'm not a great shot , with pistol or rifle, but I enjoy shooting & try to shoot the best I can, given my limited abilities.
I can shoot well enough to have some mods done to my firearms, and despite my limitations,...I can tell if mods increase my accuracy.
Same with my loads..I can shoot well enough to tell if one load is better than another in my guns, with me pulling the trigger.
I'm fairly consistent and am happy to do as well as I do, in addition to as being as handsome as I am..
(ask my wife if you don't believe me)

Latest posts