what is the best wight bullet for a 1:7 twist

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
for 3gun or what purpose?
For 3gun, I'd use 55grn.
For the absolute best accuracy, that depends on your barrel.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Still relatively new to reloading, but if you read a bit on some of the suggestions from the experienced (old timers) on here you can learn a lot. This will save a lot of time and headaches. Honestly though what works for some (powder and bullet weights or manufacturer’s of bullets) might not work for you, try a few different kinds in 50-100 boxes.

Try out some suggestions and work from the lowest suggested load to the highest. It’s not always fun, but will help you get the load that’s tailored to your barrel as Wall said.

I will say rifle is a lot more work than pistol to reload.

I have cheated on rifle brass a bit and use th following process. Will cost some $$$$ but save you time.

-Find a good tumbler or whatever means to clean brass
-size/de-prime
-swage all the primer pockets NATO brass is a must, but have a quite a bit especially wolf brass that needs it. Have gotten to the point where I do all.
-C clamp a power drill down to a bench or table, take another C clamp on the trigger at the speed you need, use an RCBS brush for cleaning primer pockets or other device to speed up the process.
-IF, BIG IF you can afford it get a frankford arsenal case prep center, gracey or giraud. These machines will save you a ton of time.

I bought a Giraud if you need pictures or have any questions. It’s so simple I had my 5 year old give it a whirl since he wanted to help dad out. I went with the Giraud, because it’s over built and trims, deburrs and chamfers in one motion. Opened up time for swaging heh heh.

Good luck and happy shooting.

dennishoddy

biggair said:
I have a DDvm7 5.56 16"barrel what would you use for ammo? 5.56? 223? grain bullet 62? thanks
You have to define what your intended purpose for that rifle is before we can determine the best load.
Hunting, three gun, long range, or plinking.
Feed us some more information including the barrel twist, and we might be able to give some more technical information about your question.
If its long range, we will be asking about the BC of the bullet you choose, and if it's about hunting it will be about the game you choose to hunt that will determine the bullet.

Latest posts