What brand ammo do you shoot in competition?

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Learned a pretty valuable lesson about using good ammo while in competition. I know it all depends on the gun, but what ammo do you run for competition? Looking for a couple different brands to try out and see what works best.

I started out with Blazers and did pretty well. The white box Winchester are the only target ammo I've shot without any issues.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Winchester, Federal, and PMC have never caused me any issues. Haven't shot a lot of any other brands, but I've shot a lot of Federal in 9mm, WWB in 9mm and .45ACP, and a lot of PMC in a broad variety of calibers.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
If you have a trigger job with lighter springs than stock, stick to federal for factory ammo. Winchester primers are harder and not reliable in some.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
I've been using either Federal from walmart, or Red River Ammo from the group buys for 9mm

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
I've shot PMC, Magtech, federal and Winchester. I mainly shoot federal value pack from WalMart it's $19.99 for the hundred pack. I don't have to order it to get a good price. My friend has been shooting Freedom munition with no problem. I've been thinking of switching to Freedom it's $9.69 for a box of 50 or $194 for a 1000 plus shipping. Freedom is a lot cleaner then federal, but I'm just to cheap to make the switch yet. Even though I won't have to pay sales tax, their shipping cost is high. But I hate having a filthy gun and black fingers after a day of shooting.

Cajun0007

Well-Known Fanatic
Atlanta Arms blue box 9mm. Very soft shooting, clean, and accurate. PMC Bronze .223 in the rifle.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
9mm? I still cant reload it (single stage press, I know :drag: ) as cheap as I can buy it. Winchester and Federal are at Wally World .... I have been using Magtec and Remington UMC out here in Nevada as they seem to stock it and Magtec seems to be popular here. PMC is good ammo also...I never found a reliable stock of Magtec or PMC in Oklahoma City though.

Still roll my own 38 special... but I don't shoot much revolver out here.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
31210862.jpg

E:

Also, and I think I told you this on Saturday, buying remanufactured ammo isn't necessarily a bad thing but you want to buy from a reputable company like BVAC instead of some rando at the gun store.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Adam was doing great at the match Saturday. Unfortunately his ammo hadn't been fully resized and wouldn't go into battery and would get stuck so hard you had to grab the slide and hit the grip. Unfortunately when Adam did this he caught the web of his on the corner of the slide.....ouch! 4 stiches worth. Sorry amigo! I am glad to hear you will be back, and you done good. Folks are right, don't be afraid or remanufactured ammo, just know where it is coming from and ALWAYS chamber check some to make sure.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Yep, had that happen with some HSM .223 reloads, about 10% hadn't been hit with a resizing die. That's a fun malfunction to clear on the clock.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Greg's Home Rolled is my current brand. If reloading isn't a good option I would look at Atlantic Arms, or other custom built USPSA ammo. There are a couple of companies building Major and Minor ammo.

Others have mentioned, and its excellent advice, always chamber check your match ammo. I run all my ammo through a case gage before match day, regardless of caliber or make.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep, had that happen with some HSM .223 reloads, about 10% hadn't been hit with a resizing die. That's a fun malfunction to clear on the clock.

Man, that was horrible. That was the first time it happen to me and I was at a loss as to what to do. Kurt was kind enough to help me out and I was able to finish the stage.

I'm kind of tempted to hang onto that crap ammo so I can intentionally let it happen to practice clearing it. Heh

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Federal 100 Round Bulk Packs from Walmart in the Pistol
Winchester AA's, Federal Flgith Control Buck, Fiocchi Slugs and Spreaders in the shotgun
PMC and Black Hills in the Rifle. I have shot all types of .223 and only have ahd issues with Tula or Wolf.

Latest posts