What about lefties, post knee scope surgery peeps, and USPSA?

I am a lefty with a post orthoscopic right knee that is healing up well. It was only to fix damaged cartilage not a knee replacement. Will these two things hamper USPSA performance profoundly if I can do the shooting, magazine changes, and such from standing still?

I don't expect to run sprints or marathons, I can walk fast so far and am building up my endurance and stamina in my knee again. My motivation is to do USPSA for fun and if I get to D or C so be it. I would love to do A or B and maybe higher, but I am not worried about it right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Shoot to your knees abilities. You don't have to sprint around and re-injure yourself for what's supposed to be a fun hobby.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Had the knee surgery back in 2007. Cartilage repair and removal of a second kneecap.

After physical therapy and 10 years of hard use that one is still my "good" knee. Significantly stronger and more flexible than my unimproved knee.

Do the therapy and pretty soon you won't be able to blame a bad knee for keeping you in "D" class.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Had a knee replacement 3 months ago and now I can run in small spurts no hard starts or stops. Man it sucks because as soon as that buzzer go off your mind goes into haul ass mode! So take it easy and work on your gun handling, watching you sights properly. It will help you in the long run. I know it sucks to not be at 100% running and gunning it took me a little bit to take it all in and I still get pissed off ( and fall down ) knowing I am not shooting to my full potential. Just getting out there and shooting and going through the rhythms will benefit you. Don't worry about what class you will end up end.

Willfully armed

Fanatic
I gamed after both knee surgeries. 2010 meniscus repair on left knee, and 2015 ACL replacement on right knee.

Just move at the speed that is comfortable. If you have a brace, wear it.

Thank you to all. I feel a bit better about my recuperating process and my hopeful ability to get shooting in competition soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
You're F'd.....

Na I'm kidding! I had approximately half of the meniscus in my right knee removed via two different surgeries with I was 16 & 18, I'm 34 now. It doesn't cause me any issues, I am just cognizant of what motion types cause pain or swelling.

You'll be fine. Like the others said, rehab like you're supposed to, dryfire like crazy while you're on restricted mobility, shoot groups at the range and get scary accurate.

bluegrasspicker

New Fanatic
I really appreciate this thread. I'm sitting here the day after an arthroscopy on the knee that I broke 4.5 years ago. A little careful planning with a chainsaw and tractor goes a long ways!

The tib/fib fracture healed just fine, but the y-shaped break on the tib plateau didn't seam up so hot. I'm hoping this at least takes care of the earth-moving click and the locking.

My thoughts go to you guys recovering. It's easy to take mobility for granted!

Bob

PS: I just recently discovered this great forum and am enjoying catching up on old threads.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Feegee Matlock said:
Had a knee replacement 3 months ago and now I can run in small spurts no hard starts or stops. Man it sucks because as soon as that buzzer go off your mind goes into haul ass mode! So take it easy and work on your gun handling, watching you sights properly. It will help you in the long run. I know it sucks to not be at 100% running and gunning it took me a little bit to take it all in and I still get pissed off ( and fall down ) knowing I am not shooting to my full potential. Just getting out there and shooting and going through the rhythms will benefit you. Don't worry about what class you will end up end.
Going on 6 1/2 months now and feel like I am at 85%. I can run pretty good now, and movement is a lot better, but the hard stops, and burst out of position part is still iffy. It will let me know when I am pushing it to hard, but overall I never thought I could run this good so soon. I worked my ass off doing physical therapy on it, and it made all the difference in the world.

Feegee

The Magic Man
bluegrasspicker said:
I really appreciate this thread. I'm sitting here the day after an arthroscopy on the knee that I broke 4.5 years ago. A little careful planning with a chainsaw and tractor goes a long ways!

The tib/fib fracture healed just fine, but the y-shaped break on the tib plateau didn't seam up so hot. I'm hoping this at least takes care of the earth-moving click and the locking.

My thoughts go to you guys recovering. It's easy to take mobility for granted!

Bob

PS: I just recently discovered this great forum and am enjoying catching up on old threads.
Call or PM me any time if you have questions. I made my self a exercise routine that really helped.

bluegrasspicker

New Fanatic
I appreciate the offer on sharing what works for you. I'd really like to hear it. With that said, I know I'll need to find my own solution.

At this point I'm putting weight back on it. As with the initial recovery, it's hard to know how hard to push without overdoing it.

There's a PT appointment tomorrow, and I'll look forward to getting their input.

My mom and girlfriend showed me the pics from the operation (once my comprehension skills were back up!), and I'm pretty optimistic. There was a lot of garbage and more of a tear that wasn't apparent on the mri/x-ray.

Gotta' love modern medicine!

Enjoy,
Bob