Weekend Project

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright, I decided a month or so back that I would like to mess with Cerakote, KG 3400, and a few of the other spray and bake finishes. Since I don't really want to use my kitchen oven, I thought a "paint curing oven" would be a fun project. With the help of my wife's dad, this is what I came up with. It did take several hours to complete and still has a few minor things that I want to add, but it's usable. I also got my vertical compressor ready to go and now just need to find a mid-size blasting cabinet. I may go with the stand-alone Harbor Freight model, but am hoping I will luck into something. Let me know what you think and feel free to ask questions.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

dennishoddy

Damm! You did a fine job of making an oven. I've never messed with the cerakote stuff, but do have to complement your handywork in getting a digital temperature control in there.
Does that require a type "e" or type "k" thermocouple?

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
It's actually type J, but you can use K. It also has some very pricey, though free, high temp wire connecting the element. The high-temp silicone I used to attach the insulation is awful and I may still be a little high! I'm going to run a bead around the seams too as soon as I get a chance. I also need to make some labels for the control. I'm really not digging the red Sharpie.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
holy balls that is awesome. I freaking love DIY projects.
I've been wanting to make a bench for reloading and general gun cleaning/maintenance for my garage but can't seem to make up my mind on how exactly I want to go about it. Any of you DIY guru's wanna make a 'how to reloading bench DIY' thread? Surely I'm not the only one.

Feegee

The Magic Man
If you need some more high temp wire or tape let me know I am a electrician at a plant that uses that stuff all the time and I can get you some... Maybe you can give me some pointers on spraying when I start.. Oh yea I can also powder coat or annodize some parts for you to and we can trade for some spraying for me or I can just do it for you for the hell of it either way let me know...😉

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
This is my kind of thread. What did you use for a heating element? Also, I've never seen a Love brand PID controller.

dennishoddy

holy balls that is awesome. I freaking love DIY projects. I've been wanting to make a bench for reloading and general gun cleaning/maintenance for my garage but can't seem to make up my mind on how exactly I want to go about it. Any of you DIY guru's wanna make a 'how to reloading bench DIY' thread? Surely I'm not the only one.

I know there are tons of ideas about the "perfect bench" and if everybody contributed, maybe we could come up with an idea that sombody could get some good ideas when setting up their own :D

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
If you need some more high temp wire or tape let me know I am a electrician at a plant that uses that stuff all the time and I can get you some... Maybe you can give me some pointers on spraying when I start.. Oh yea I can also powder coat or annodize some parts for you to and we can trade for some spraying for me or I can just do it for you for the hell of it either way let me know...😉
As soon as I get the blasting cabinet, I'd be happy to spray some stuff. I bought some cheap beat up stripped A2's the other day to learn on.

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
Cool loking setup. I noticed you went with a Kobalt for air. Looks like a 60 Gal. 3.7 hp. i'm just guessing. I bought one two weeks ago and it lasted 2.5 days.
FYI be careful of the bleed port on the bottom of the tank it will break. Also keep a close eye on the oil level.I took mine back, no questions asked and although they had another one i went with another brand.
It works great and i am happy. Kobalt is a good name maybe i got the one they dropped off the truck, i dont know.

Okshootist

Fanatic
I'd recommend you pass on the harbor freight type cabinet, too many seams and screws. Cyclone makes an all plastic model that is less than $300 at Enco. You''ll spend less time sweeping and have less airborne abrasive in your shop.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
If you're looking for a gun to test your skills on, I have a .22 Mossberg rifle that has rust on the barrel and is in need of sandblasting and recoating.

Feegee

The Magic Man
On the labels do you want hard plastic or the peel and stick kind??? Tell me what you want them to say.The peel and stick kind I have them in orange and they can be 1 3/4" wide up to 3 to 4" the hard plastic will b like the ones you see stuck on the outside of a door that say restroom etc. any size and font.

Latest posts