Vortex Spitfire 3x and Venom

Shotgunn25

Fanatic
I'm seeing if anyone has run a Spitfire 3x and a venom combination in a competition? Did you put the Venom on the top of the Spitfire's railing, or did you have the Venom off to the side on a 45 degree mount? Do the mounting screws for the Spitfire get in your line of sight of the Venom with a 45 degree mount? I'm trying to decide which way I want to go. I've got the Spitfire already, and am going to pick up the Venom soon. Thanks.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The venom isn't great in an offset mount because the adjustment buttons are on the same side As the gun making them hard to reach.

Chad King

Well-Known Fanatic
Shotgunn25 said:
What is wrong with using the spitfire in competition?
Running a fixed optic really doesn't have any advantage is why. While you have the option running a red dot + a 3x pism it puts you into open and would actually be a disadvantage compared to someone running a 1x6 with an offset dot. If your just shooting for fun then honestly run your rifle however you want and just see how it works for you, but if your wanting to be competitive you may want to step up to a variable optic. A 3x/ 1x dot combo might not be a huge hindrance in a local match where everything is most likely 100-150 yards or closer but when targets start moving out to 200+ are you really going to be comfortable running a fixed 3x versus a variable 1x6?

Shotgunn25

Fanatic
Chad King said:
Running a fixed optic really doesn't have any advantage is why. While you have the option running a red dot + a 3x pism it puts you into open and would actually be a disadvantage compared to someone running a 1x6 with an offset dot. If your just shooting for fun then honestly run your rifle however you want and just see how it works for you, but if your wanting to be competitive you may want to step up to a variable optic. A 3x/ 1x dot combo might not be a huge hindrance in a local match where everything is most likely 100-150 yards or closer but when targets start moving out to 200+ are you really going to be comfortable running a fixed 3x versus a variable 1x6?
I see what you're saying. I'm just shooting at my local range right now in 2gun shoots, once a month. Max distance is 75 yards. Maybe sometime down the road I will look at doing other competitions.

Thanks for the input.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Shotgunn25 said:
What is wrong with using the spitfire in competition?
Spitfire 1X is the king in Limited/Tac irons/factory but a fixed 3X isn't as flexible as a 1-4x or 1-6x or even 1-8x scope. You could use it but it's not the best option out there. Most guys run 1-6x scope as a primary and a red dot as an offset if using two optics. Let's you shoot out to 600 yards.

Latest posts