Video on cleaning a 1911 with Bill Wilson

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic

How to Clean a 1911 with Bill Wilson

Watched the video & noticed many similarities to how I clean my 1911's ... I use paper towels / napkins, ..& q-tips.
I believe I do a better job @ cleaning. Mr. Wilson promotes his products, I favor more economically responsible methods.
!st ( & I feel it's a big deal..) I wear nitrile gloves when cleaning firearms.
Lead, powder residue, & any solvents used, best to avoid contact with skin.. for health's sake.

I buy WD-40 by the gallon (a gallon lasts a LONG time) pour it into a spray bottle (like a windex bottle, w/ pump.) to use
(much more cost effective than using aerosol cans of WD-40)

I disassemble my pistols, put them in a ss tray I have, then, spray the top of the frame, the inside of the slide, & the inside of the barrel (1 pump to each part)
Let the parts soak for awhile. Sometimes, I let them soak overnight. After soaking, I use my paper towel /napkin to wipe off the powder residue.
I use an old toothbrush to brush any remaining carbon buildup.

WD 40 does a GREAT job of loosening / dissolving fouling. If wipes off easily after soaking. A few passes with a bore brush removes most everything from the bore. You'll be amazed @ how clean parts come using wd-40 & a toothbrush.. & q-tips for hard to reach areas. Small parts get a quick brush with the toothbrush , dipped in the overspray that collects in the ss tray, the wiped clean on the paper towel..usually do the small parts while the frame, slide & barrel are soaking. I examine the bore, it may need a little extra cleaning, if you'rs shooting lead. Bore brush takes care of it.

If I remove the firing pin & extractor, a q-tip ( w/ some WD or Hoppes)) does a good of cleaning the tunnels the FP & extractor pass thru...

I use a teflon grease " SUPERLUBE " ( been using the same 1 # tub for 20+ yrs.. it's almost finished..but have another, for when it runs out) for areas where
there are sliding metal parts.. the top & rails of frame, bottom of slide (where disconnector slides)
. I use a q-tip to apply a light coating of grease., any excess applied is wasted.
A small drop of oil goes where the hammer pivots in the frame. Reassemble parts. Wipe off any excess with a clean rag /paper towels & you're done.

Not a bad video, but I believe the way I clean gets the parts cleaner, is fast/easy to do, and wearing gloves keeps solvent / oil from absorbing into your skin,

Latest posts