USCCA

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
been debating whether to join or not. seems like a good idea. Insurance is best bought and neve rused--kind of like guns for defense right?

what ar e your ideas and experiences with this group? do you feel it is worth the price of admission?

johnholliday

Fanatic
I've had them about a year, seem great, but I've thankfully not had to "use" it. They are awful email heavy I will say as a negative.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I was with CCWSafe for a year or so but their monthly billing would have an error every single month so I canceled and subscribed annually to USCCA. Seems like I recall they want me to select a preferred attorney, which I haven't done. I reviewed their list of folks in my state and no one grabbed my attention.

BToro720

New Fanatic
been debating whether to join or not. seems like a good idea. Insurance is best bought and neve rused--kind of like guns for defense right?

what ar e your ideas and experiences with this group? do you feel it is worth the price of admission?
I've been now close to 8 yrs with USCCA. I suggest you sign-up with the annual plan. Their Magazine is excellent. Has lost of info on defensive tactics, plus what to do in the event of a shooting. Very helpful info.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
USCCA will FLOOD you e-mail inbox, and it never seems to stop!
I'm a member of the US CCA and my mailbox is "flooded" maybe once a week? I sure as hell would rather hear from them as not. And unlike every other gun rights organization, they never ask for money. USCCA is a legit organization.

m/v MOJO

Fanatic
My comment about flooding e-mail inboxes wasn't a criticism, just just an observation based on experience. "johnholiday" above apparently experienced the same thing and said he viewed it as a negative. An aggressive e-mail marketing doesn't mean they aren't "legit", if that's what you thought I was implying (I wasn't). But, until I cancelled, I got multiple e-mails from them multiple times per week, not just once a week. My delete key works just fine, and when I got tired of the flood, I opted out, which wasn't difficult to do. I respect that they do to promote gun rights and training, but the reality is that they're an insurance company and they do ask for money in the form of insurance premiums. I'm fine with that too...

Magicmanmbsc

Fanatic
USCCA will FLOOD you e-mail inbox, and it never seems to stop!

I get about 3 emails a day from them to join. One of many reasons I stopped with the NRA. Lifetime Membership was done 50 years ago and I kept getting solicited for $$$. When they had the insurance I did the same for my Son. Now in my state they are only recognized as the agent to do CWP Instructor certification unless current or retired LEO & trying to find liability insurance has been a real pain. Even with all the emails still joined this year. If I could get back my $1,000 from the NRA I would. If they don't get some new members and top staffers 5 years everyone will be saying when the NRA was around.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic

I pay USCCA for their magazine because I think it's that good, and I buy some of their training materials, but I am not a member of their plan. I use a different plan.

Pistol Annie, OTOH, is a platinum member of USCCA. It's a good program. IMO you need to get one of the higher-level plans if you're buying it to actually cover legal expenses. The lower plans don't have enough (again, IMO.)

Annie is also a USCCA instructor and she much prefers the training materials and curriculum to NRA. I think the NRA materials are good too. They're just different. USCCA has much more defensive mindset, NRA is much more about shooting. Both are good, just need to pick your purpose. (Not what you asked about, I know.)

Lastly, I'm pretty sure there are email subscription options. I don't think people have to get blasted if they don't want. I'll have to look at that. I don't get that many emails from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I know the former marketing guy from USCCA, email and landing pages was a huge success for them. I'm not sure if their product, but I'm glad to hear people are liking what they are paying for.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Last year I purchased Andrew Branca's $39.95 course on self-defense legal assistance plans. It was very informative and I learned a lot. There's more to it than I will belabor here, but the $$ caps, exclusions/prohibitions, source of the money (whether it's an insurance plan or not), lawyer restrictions, etc are all things a potential subscriber should think about in determining what is important to them.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Last year I purchased Andrew Branca's $39.95 course on self-defense legal assistance plans. It was very informative and I learned a lot. There's more to it than I will belabor here, but the $$ caps, exclusions/prohibitions, source of the money (whether it's an insurance plan or not), lawyer restrictions, etc are all things a potential subscriber should think about in determining what is important to them.
I always wondered what's the first thing you should do in a case like that. Should you immediately ask for representation or talk with a cop. I tend to think the first.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
according to Mas Ayoob, you can give a brief statement such as:

there is his weapon. "I was in fear for my life.. he tried to kill me.".point out other evidence in the area for the police..and then silence until your attorney arrives.silenc e is golden and never causes you an issue

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
I always wondered what's the first thing you should do in a case like that. Should you immediately ask for representation or talk with a cop. I tend to think the first.

I've never been in a gun fight or dealt with the aftermath. The following is just collected from books and classes I've taken. Based on the various reading/studying I've done, I believe the relevant decision point is (as @boatdoc points out) whether you are capable at the time of saying a very few things that are helpful and then shutting your mouth, or whether you need to just STFU because you're going to blather.

There is universal agreement that the cops are not there to help you, and that saying nothing is better than running off at the mouth. The risk is that cops might overlook important physical evidence or witnesses in your favor (they may very well come into the situ assuming you're the bad guy and not look for exculpatory evidence) if you don't say anything at all. But the downside risk of blathering is also real.

So it's a trade-off with risks either way. Def something that needs to be considered in advance and try to mentally prepare for the severe stress of such a situation.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Respectfully, there's no such thing as "always the best plan." Half of all lawyers graduated in the bottom 50% of their class. Far, far fewer than half have ever defended a legitimately innocent person in a genuine lethal force self-defense case. Only a handful have ever done it more than once. And 0 got more than a 90-min discussion of self-defense law in law school.

Just because a lawyer says something doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

Always STFU is great advice when you know in advance that all your clients are guilty because, well, they're criminals. Of course that's the advice from internet lawyers whose career is spent defending criminals.

But frankly, the random lawyer who has made his living defending drug dealers and murderers is not the lawyer I want on my side. I want a lawyer who actually understands self-defense law, preferably one who has actually succeeded in a lethal force case.

So, if you're a drug dealer/pedophile/wife beater/etc yes, absolutely STFU. You're guilty and nothing you say is gonna help. But if you're in a legitimate self-defense scenario you may benefit from spending some time beforehand considering, studying and thinking about what experienced self-defense law experts have to say - and it is more nuanced than a universal/unilateral STFU.

In addition, identify a competent self-defense lawyer in advance. Make them your lawyer. Then talk with *your* lawyer about what *you* should do if ever in such a situation. Don't get legal advice over the internet.

Last edited: