Undecided between these Rifle options~ Suggestions needed!

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
[SIZE=10.5pt]So far I've researched the Ruger Precision Rifle, Savage 10/110 BA Stealth rifle, Mossberg MVP LC and the Tikka T3x TAC A1. The Tikka option is the more expensive options out of the options listed. I'm no expert rifleman or shooter but I am leaning towards the .308 caliber option for now. I am looking into getting into competitive rifle shooting, but I don't want to break the bank in the process. Like the factory blueprint option the Savage firearms offers, also the availability to swap barrels, etc. The Savage, Ruger and Mossberg are nicely priced. The Tikka, well, not so quite. But I rather spend now and cry later. Just want to stay below the 2k-price range option or less and I still need room for a nice scope. In regards to the scope, well, I'm also researching options. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I want a rifle not only for the competitive game but also tactical nature. One of my friends is pushing me to buy the Savage 10/110 BA Stealth as a good option due to its price, features, and lots of available options. However, that Tikka is sure looking good too~ Anyway, my safe is growing in size that's for sure~ Recommendations, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks to all in advance~[/SIZE]

James Abram

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis is right, the 6.5 Creedmoor is the way to go if you want to compete in long range. The .308, which is good in other arenas, is the turd of the long range game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
If your looking at getting into competitive long range rifle shooting, I'd look at the 6.8 Creedmore vs the .308.
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thank you, I looked into the 6.5 Creedmore however, the ammo is expensive and not as readably available as the .308 amm. Also, if the needs arise I can find .308 ammo just about anywhere. Whereas 6.5 has limited options. Also, both calibers are good but price wise and availability favors the .308 more on my end. Also, I can do a barrel swap, with a few other mods and convert the .308 into a 6.5 Creedmore~ [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks~ [/SIZE]

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
Hell of a deal to get on here and admit that your not an expert. Ask for advice, get some good info and then immediately discard it.

dennishoddy

chgofirefighter said:
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thank you, I looked into the 6.5 Creedmore however, the ammo is expensive and not as readably available as the .308 amm. Also, if the needs arise I can find .308 ammo just about anywhere. Whereas 6.5 has limited options. Also, both calibers are good but price wise and availability favors the .308 more on my end. Also, I can do a barrel swap, with a few other mods and convert the .308 into a 6.5 Creedmore~ [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks~ [/SIZE]
Reloading is your friend in long range shooting. You will need to tune your load to your rifle. Factory ammo won't produce the results that a reload will. Every barrel has its sweet spot. The more modern barrels are more consistent in accuracy than barrels of past years are due to the more modern machining methods.
I know its extreme, and anal, but back in the early 80's I went to the Camp Perry National matches as a volunteer and to watch the 1000 yard shooters.
They had reloaders right behind the firing line. Take the shot, see the results, load one round for the next shot taking into consideration, humidity, temperatures, burn rates of the powders, etc. Crazy stuff.
Reloading your own after acquiring the brass for a 6.8 Creedmore is no more expensive than loading the .308.
Its your choice for sure, and I'm not trying to steer you away from what ever caliber you want to shoot, but you said your interested in long range shooting, hence my advice.
Long range shooting accurately involves a lot of science and practice. Keep us in the loop how your progressing.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Tika all the way! I have one and its the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. There factory trigger is adjustable and the action is as smooth as glass.

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
Feegee Matlock said:
Tika all the way! I have one and its the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. There factory trigger is adjustable and the action is as smooth as glass.
I'm leaning towards the Tikka Tac3 or the Savage Stealth BA, decisions, decisions~

P.E. Kelley

Well-Known Fanatic
I would (and have) go with the Savage GRS. YES...I work for Savage, but the rifle is half minute capable and the stock is
push button adjustable and...it can be had for about 11 or 1,200 bucks. (MSRP 1449)

https://youtu.be/U7sycn_TLdk

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
P.E. Kelley said:
I would (and have) go with the Savage GRS. YES...I work for Savage, but the rifle is half minute capable and the stock is
push button adjustable and...it can be had for about 11 or 1,200 bucks. (MSRP 1449)

https://youtu.be/U7sycn_TLdk
Thanks what is the differences between the GRS and the BA Stealth besides the Chassis?

FogHornLegHorn

New Fanatic
I have the Ruger Precision in 6.5 , but from the lists you offered I'd go with the Savage 110 stealth or stealth revolution. I went with the Ruger because of the depth of aftermarket options and it can easily be converted to a .308 if I choose. But the 6.5 is a better target shooting round , may not drop an antelope quite like a .308 though :) Depends on your true needs

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
FogHornLegHorn said:
I have the Ruger Precision in 6.5 , but from the lists you offered I'd go with the Savage 110 stealth or stealth revolution. I went with the Ruger because of the depth of aftermarket options and it can easily be converted to a .308 if I choose. But the 6.5 is a better target shooting round , may not drop an antelope quite like a .308 though :) Depends on your true needs
Curious is the Evolution series an upgraded verstion of the Stealth? Different color, different buttstock, and pricing. The evolution series is a tad bit pricier...

Latest posts