Trijicon RMR Question

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with the dual illuminated RMRs. I'm in the market for one and I am trying to decide between the dual illuminated and the adjustable LED. Seems like it's mostly personal preference but I've heard that the dual may wash out, which I've seen with some other optics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm in the same boat. I've done a lot of reading and some say they love the dual illuminated and some say they are just too dim. Seems to be about a 50/50 split.

The problem seems to be that they wash out when you are shooting from a low light area into a brightly lit target area. Also have read complaints about them being dim in the dark. Personally I love the idea of no electronics and the price tag is a bit less to boot. I'm waiting until I can put eyes on one of each before I decide, but I'll probably go with the electronic version.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The dual illuminated is dim unless you're out in bright sun. I had one on a pistol I kept in my nightstand. You could barely see it in the dark.
I put an non-adjustable LED version in that pistol which works great. I run an adjustable LED version in my 3-gun open
Pistol.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Does then non-adjustable one do a good job of keeping it bright enough to stay visible? I had a cheap sight that had a photocell to adjust and it was terrible at keeping up with conditions.

Kinda sounds like I should spend the extra 100 and get one of the led versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtischauser

Matt Washburn said:
Does then non-adjustable one do a good job of keeping it bright enough to stay visible? I had a cheap sight that had a photocell to adjust and it was terrible at keeping up with conditions.

Kinda sounds like I should spend the extra 100 and get one of the led versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The non-adjustable is very bright. Brighter then I run my LED adjustable version even. I've had it sitting in my nightstand for at least 1 if not 2 years now too and I haven't touched the battery.

I went with the adjustable on my open pistol because I use it at night matches, lower light stages of 3-gun in the woods and super bright day time stuff too. I like to be able to dial it up to exactly where I like it.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I have a dual-illuminated one. It's visible in darkness but not bright. If you have a WML, it washes out entirely, but shooting one-handed with a light held behind the gun is fine. Aiming from a dark place into a light place will also make it wash out.

disclaimer: I have no real low-light training or experience whatsoever; this is just from trying stuff at the house.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
dr poopgiggle said:
I have a dual-illuminated one. It's visible in darkness but not bright. If you have a WML, it washes out entirely, but shooting one-handed with a light held behind the gun is fine. Aiming from a dark place into a light place will also make it wash out.

disclaimer: I have no real low-light training or experience whatsoever; this is just from trying stuff at the house.
Sounds exactly like what I was hearing. Pretty much verbatim.

jtischauser

dr poopgiggle said:

That's exactly what I experienced the first night match I took mine to. I sold it shortly thereafter. WML with laser is on all my HD guns.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
If anyone is looking for a RMR keep an eye out on opticsplanet. I scored a RM07 with a weaver base for $519 - 10% (Thanks Jesse!). It's since jumped back up to $650 but it seems like they change the prices everyday. I hope to sell the weaver base for a couple bucks to make it an even better deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beastep

New Fanatic
I just picked up an RM02. It also washes out if using a bright white light in a small room with the light pointed at a white wall. If its pointed at anything besides white its still pretty easy to pick up. It does however do a fantastic job of keeping the brightness at the correct level for the shooting conditions. And just plain shooting from a dark room to a light room seems well adjusted as well. Its tough to decide one when they cost so damn much.

Latest posts