Trijicon RMR experiences

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
Question, before I spend the big $$$. Is the Red Dot either 3.25 or 6 MOA any crisper or clearer that the Holosun, Vortex or Sig Romero's on the Trijicon. Or does it still have the still Bleed or fizziness around the edge. Or maybe my eyes or just over the edge. It seems that the Dot clarity is different with every brand. But to spend double on the Trijicon is questionable.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Question, before I spend the big $$$. Is the Red Dot either 3.25 or 6 MOA any crisper or clearer that the Holosun, Vortex or Sig Romero's on the Trijicon. Or does it still have the still Bleed or fizziness around the edge. Or maybe my eyes or just over the edge. It seems that the Dot clarity is different with every brand. But to spend double on the Trijicon is questionable.

Like anything that's fizzy if you take the lid off and let it sit the "fizziness" goes away………

Sorry:) I couldn't help myself

I am currently thinking about getting another Sig P365XL with factory included Sig red dot, so that would be my only red dot. My go to shop has them for $599 normally $749

Only sights I have are Vortex and Eotechs (I now only buy Eotechs for all my long guns)
Scopes are Redfield and Luepold on bolt guns

jmac1911

Fanatic
I have an RMR and a Holosun 507K and like them both, go to a store and compare. I have astigmatism and some dots don't work well for me. Also go the Sig 365 forum and see what buyers have to say about Romeo dots, vast majority say they're junk.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I have an RMR and a Holosun 507K and like them both, go to a store and compare. I have astigmatism and some dots don't work well for me. Also go the Sig 365 forum and see what buyers have to say about Romeo dots, vast majority say they're junk.
Thanks for the info. I have the astigmatism also. I will defiantly do a hands (eye) on trial in store if possible. But I think the Trijicon will be a purchase in the near future. Besides the Trijicon and the Holosun share the same footprint.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
I've mounted a dual illumination on a G17 MOS. This requires the use of suppressor sights in that while the green triangle is nice (and allows for both precise and quick coarse aiming) it suffers from bright target/dim surrounding washout (which many of the follow ons do not). The suppressor sights allow for aiming in such a situation.

Trijicon is generally considered the 'gold standard' of tactical optics but each has its limitations.

One thing that caught me by surprise is the Holosun series--specifically the 507c series (which I've mounted on my VP-40). It's got an easy change battery (which doesn't require a re-zero) as well as solar backup and the auto-bright works very well (it's available in a Muti reticle version as well as the ACSS/Vulcan type reticle). These work very well and have gained a good reputation. Long battery life, auto on, etc. The nice thing about either reticle is that you can get a VERY easy to find reticle on these RMRs--superior to a simple small dot. I had some HUGE reservations about using anything Chinese or touching Chinese, but so far these have demonstrated reliability equal to or better than things like the Sig Romeo series or even the Trijicon (which had problems with its original version and blanking--subsequently fixed).

The main advantage of any RMR is that it places everything on one focal plane which allows target centered focus while also allowing rapid acquisition and follow shots. This becomes especially important as one ages and vision degrades (and it's important to DO your training with whatever glasses you might be wearing--as well as without as might be the case in a bump in the night situation--and be able to work the sight/gun combination with either. Notably, in the Miami-Dade shootout one of the agents had his glasses flung off his face in the car impact and to some extent was subsequently taken out of the fight because he had trouble seeing so this is something to consider also). The main disadvantages are it's usually electronic (the dual illumination is not) and thus might be subject to reliability problems, adds weight and bulk (in some cases this can affect gun reliability so making sure the gun functions with the added mass on slide is very important), and the dot can be hard to find. The latter is largely a matter of training but it's REALLY easy to 'lose the dot' until an RMR type presentation of the gun is mastered. Also, this can be a problem when the gun is used in a tactical situation and isn't presented conventionally (like in the middle of a fight--some would counter that sights are of limited use at all in some such situations however something like a Big Dot can continue to be useful in bad environmentals and dynamic situations). Using an RMR of any kind requires significant training in any case.

Astigmatism IMHO is overstated a bit in that while the dot can blossom or appear as a few dots, usually they are close enough together not to matter except at extreme ranges (like in a hunting situation).

Good luck !

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
Just a thought but I've noticed thst the dot tends to get fuzzy when the brightness setting is too high. Try dimming the dot a little (maybe one click down) and see if that eliminates the fuzz................JMHO
TR
P.S. all my Red Dots are Trijicon RMR's.

Latest posts