The Springer High Power

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I hate to be a party pooper but........I don't get what all the fanfare is with the Springer BHP. It's another clone of the BHP made in the USA; I get that. I sold both mine a long time ago (Brownings). They can't hold a candle to a good 1911 even in 9mm. It must be just because there something new, I guess. And people are paying a premium for them now. Nuts.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I hate to be a party pooper but........I don't get what all the fanfare is with the Springer BHP. It's another clone of the BHP made in the USA; I get that. I sold both mine a long time ago (Brownings). They can't hold a candle to a good 1911 even in 9mm. It must be just because there something new, I guess. And people are paying a premium for them now. Nuts.
Hi HooDoo Man,
I love ALL John Browning's designs. I usually shoot Hi Powers better than most other guns, But some days the 1911's win out. Just depends on the day. I guess I've been blessed because my Hi Powers and My 1911's have always been reliable. I know I shoot less than many others here, and that may play into things too. I will say I truly enjoy being a part of this forum, and I continue to learn a lot, and to enjoy what everyone has to say. For the record I love wheel guns too! I have a huge soft spot for the S&W K frame in every iteration I also carry a Smith J frame a lot. Nothing fancy but I like it. Over all I'm just a deplorable gun nut no matter what. Stay safe.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi HooDoo Man,
I love ALL John Browning's designs. I usually shoot Hi Powers better than most other guns, But some days the 1911's win out. Just depends on the day. I guess I've been blessed because my Hi Powers and My 1911's have always been reliable. I know I shoot less than many others here, and that may play into things too. I will say I truly enjoy being a part of this forum, and I continue to learn a lot, and to enjoy what everyone has to say. For the record I love wheel guns too! I have a huge soft spot for the S&W K frame in every iteration I also carry a Smith J frame a lot. Nothing fancy but I like it. Over all I'm just a deplorable gun nut no matter what. Stay safe.
That's funny, I carry a 357mag J-frame quite often also.

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
The first thing that turned me off was Springfield's advertisement telling me what NOT to call it.

Don't call it "classic"....ok, got it.

How about I just ignore it and maybe it will go away?

What I'm not likely to call it is "mine".

But I get bored and I read a lot of reviews.
Some of the owner reviews haven't been uh...glowing. You can't trust gun magazine and YouTube reviews to be honest and impartial. Even a lot of owner reviews may represent their investment through rose colored glasses.

This offering just doesn't hit a sweet note with me. Admittedly I'm ignorant of the virtues of the BHP. But I believe that if I was interested, it would HAVE to be a classic and not a clone.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I admit to being a hi-power guy. Not too awful long ago, a 1911 that would reliably run 9mm was about as rare as hens teeth. While I love any 1911 chambered in super 38 (also 45 auto) I'm pretty cold to the 9mm chambering. Why? I guess some old prejudices die harder than others. I'll also admit to initially being pretty psyched up about the sa35, but have cooled off considerably and will likely stick with my tried and true FNs. Unless of course a good priced sa35 jumps up at me. Ha

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Ergonomics of grip has never been my favorite.
Hi Mike,
I've found the slim grips make a huge difference in the feel of a Hi Power grip. I understand the grip thing. Small hands not long fingers and most double stack guns are a bear for me. I'm talking Beretta 92 Sig pretty much anything else with a big grip. I love Sigs hate the trigger reach. I'd love a 220 can't reach the trigger for first shot comfortably. I own 3 Glocks. a 43 that I cannot get to feed right has to go to Glock but I'm so pissed at it I leave it in the safe. A 17 and a 19 both of these have had grip reductions and I can shoot them reasonably well. But again grip ergonomics are everything with any hand gun or any long gun. If it doesn't fit I don't want it.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I admit to being a hi-power guy. Not too awful long ago, a 1911 that would reliably run 9mm was about as rare as hens teeth. While I love any 1911 chambered in super 38 (also 45 auto) I'm pretty cold to the 9mm chambering. Why? I guess some old prejudices die harder than others. I'll also admit to initially being pretty psyched up about the sa35, but have cooled off considerably and will likely stick with my tried and true FNs. Unless of course a good priced sa35 jumps up at me. Ha
I love my FN's. This includes Argentine FN's, and MK 3's. BH products redid a Springer Hi Power nice gun, but why pay that much to fix a gun you bought new? I applaud Springfield for making a new Hi Power, and I especially like the fact it is a pre mk3 style. The classic style is really pretty I think. Maybe they should have spent a bit more time shaking this new gun down before they brought it on the market.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
Whether it's the FN, Hi Power, or 1911, the JM ergo is perfect for my hands. Fit and feel are excellent (as it is with the Sig 220 as well). I really do like the hi-power design but most have had mixed results in feeding newer age defensive ammo HPs in older hi-powers. So I welcome the new design and might seriously take a look at one after any bugs are shaken out.

FWIW, the Sig 365 is an excellent carry micro-9 and even IT (and the G43) had teething problems.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I carried a "Belgian 9" in Vietnam for my time there,( in a shoulder rig, as a back-up) nice pistola, but there was a novelty factor with it for sure. Not near the 1911 in most ways. At the $600 ish msrp, and presumably, selling for less, the new one might have a place in my safe, at the inflated prices they seem to be going for, no thanks.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I can relate to what everyone here is saying.

Personally....and mind you.....this is just me. I respect everyone else's position when it comes to firearms or anything else....unless I'm dealing with a liberal.

I learned long ago that any pistol I own will be a safe queen unless it's a 1911 in 45acp. I only own 1 pistol that isn't a 1911 in 45acp. It's a Glock 17 in 9mm for the wife to shoot because her small wrists don't care for handling 45acp and she thinks .380 is underpowered for self defense. I do like to shoot the Glock some myself, but nothing has ever floated my boat like a 1911 in 45acp. Anything else...for me...is wasted money.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic

People like me who want a decent $600 HP.

Latest posts