The .22 rimfire cartridge.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Remember your first .22? The first box of 50 shorts, long & long rifle cartridges you shot trying to find that perfect one holer. ;)

The rounds below are old familiar faces that I remember.
Because of these wax coated rounds we have old .22 rifles that if not cleaned too often, would be in perfect bore shape today.

What was your first .22 rifle or pistol you adopted?
Mine was a Remington Model 511X Scoremaster & a Remington 511 Scoremaster both with perfect bores that had not been cleaned of their protective wax coating.

1664300061320.png

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Remember your first .22? The first box of 50 shorts, long & long rifle cartridges you shot trying to find that perfect one holer. ;)

Because of these wax coated rounds we have old .22 rifles that if not cleaned too often, would be in perfect bore shape today.

Mine was a Remington Model 511X Scoremaster & a Remington 511 Scoremaster both with perfect bores that had not been cleaned of their protective wax coating.

View attachment 28504
My first 22 was an Ithaca x 5 or x 15 can't ever remember. Dang thing was an absolute tack driver! My first 500 rd box of 22 ammo was CCI high velocity. I believe it was in a a blue and white box. Costed me $8.00. I had a really small trap line behind my folks house in our creek. Made enough of the 7or 8 muskrats I caught to pay for the ammo. Man was I proud! Must have been 7th grade, 1 had to be 12, or 13 at the time. What a wonderful way to grow up!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

View attachment 28504
I still have some of the yellow box Remington UMC. Stuff shoots crazy good through my Colt Huntsman.

dennishoddy

My first .22 was an 1890 pump action Winchester with a hexagon barrel my grandfather gave me. Still have it to this day and shoot it occasionally.
The first I personally bought was a Marlin Glenfield 35 that I got for $35 when a Gibsons store went out of business in town on clearance.
Pretty sure there are still a couple bricks of Winchester White Box rimfire ammo in the ammo locker that is wax coated.
Used to do a lot of rabbit hunting behind beagles. The standard .22 round nose bullets didn't put them down very quick. Hollow points damaged too much meat.
I believe it was either Winchester or Federal that came out with a semi-hollow point that was a round nose with a dimple in the nose of the bullet. It was the perfect small game round. Stopped them quick with little meat damage.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
On a side note to the O.P., I also have a Remington 511 Scoremaster that has seen many a squirrel go down.

View attachment 28511

Both of mine are painted by an artist ( My Wife ) with testers camo flavor paints with leaves etc.
I have put many squirrels in the pot with those Remington's even Deer with head shots & ground hog.

Both my 511s will shoot the Aguila SSS 60gr subsonic without tumbling tight groups at 50 & 100 yards
Their favorite is Eley Ten X ammo.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My Dad gave me a Marlin 60 for my birthday. I still have it. It is in pristine condition with a Leupold 3x9x40 scope mounted on it. It is extremely accurate and reliable. It has the most desirable model 60 features with a 22 inch barrel, 18+1 tube magazine and last shot bolt hold open. It's very hard to find a Marlin 60 with all 3 of those features. I could never sell it. It will be left to my only child.

It's 38 years old, yet you would never know it by it's appearance. It's taken down untold numbers of squirrels, rabbits and even a deer. A .22 is underrated as a deadly weapon. It's all about shot placement.

Latest posts