Tell me about 9mm SBR AR.

DenverDave

New Fanatic
I have wanted to build a PDW style SBR for a while now. Had intended on going with a 10.5" 5.56 barrel as 300 aac ammo is too expensive. Recently I have been reading up a little on dedicated pistol caliber AR Set-ups and am interested in exploring this option a little more.

I have primarily been looking at the PSA uppers and lowers. They offer two style in 9mm, Glock or Colt. Is there any advantages to one over the other? I don't own a Glock so don't have Glock mags around which I could see as a reason to go with a Glock style lower.

Also regarding the PSA offerings are the lowers compatible with other brands uppers or the other way around? The description does say it's designed to work PSA uppper/PSA Lower.

Apart from PSA, other companies I should look at?

Also, how about drop in 9mm conversion kits, do these generally work well? Any specific brand recommended?

The pistol caliber set up is attractive to me because of the price of ammo, able to effectively use shorter barrel, and quieter to shoot. I do have concerns about the effective range and accuracy. I know a rifle caliber will out perform a pistol cal, I would like to know by how wide of a margin.

What type of range / accuracy can one expect a 9mm SBR fired from a 8"-10" barrel? Obviously this is not a precision platform, and it depends on factors like barrel quality and ammo quality. But a ball park estimation of the platforms capabilities , for example is 2 MOA out to 200yrds possible?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
PSA uppers and lowers are proprietary.
If I were to do it over again, I would go with the Glock mag version due to the cost of mags and simplicity of lower compared to going with the mag block and colt style mags.

I use mine for steel challenge and USPSA and just playing around so I haven't pushed the long distance accuracy at all.
I did get consistent hits on a 12" steel gong at 200 yards using my subsonic 165 grain loads as long as I aimed about 8-10' high. That round arches like a rainbow lol but it's quiet with suppressor.

Mine has a 7" barrel and usually has a suppressor on it, unless I'm shooting USPSA.

SBR in 9mm = fun town
SBR in 5.56 = dental visit + Advil

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried a PSA Glock lower with another brand upper and it ran like ****.

Doing it again I would invest in a better 9mm lower that will run reliably with other uppers. Quarter Circle 10 are supposed to be good to go.

Tyler Branstetter

Well-Known Fanatic
DenverDave said:
Also regarding the PSA offerings are the lowers compatible with other brands uppers or the other way around? The description does say it's designed to work PSA uppper/PSA Lower.
I'm running a PSA lower with a DPMS slick side upper and all JP internals. You aren't limited to PSA only stuff if you go with their lower like they say on their website. Smart marketing though to get people to buy only their uppers and lowers. The only issue I've had so far has been my drop in trigger and Rise is sending me a new one. I don't believe the lower is causing the issue.

But if you are building for a PDW... it's probably not a bad idea to go with one of the QC10 or JP lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I am trying to decide on which hand guard to run. Either get a 8" and have the muzzle flush with the end or go longer and hand the suppressor hidden under it with a 3lug mount. I might even scrap the 8" and go 4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts