Sushi for 50?

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
thumb_pre_1316542746__asian_carp_and_storm_019_-_copy.jpg

From my pond.
34 in Length
19 in Girth
21 lbs

My vintage 1978 Martin Lynx bow is still deadly.
Two more left to get out of the pond. Stupid fisheries biologist put six in ca. 10 years ago.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm out on sushi. But I have heard of people eating those.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Why did they put them in your pond?
OGK (Only God Knows). Our pond was young and had very little vegetation, yet my fisheries neighbor decided to put 6 of those damned things in. He moved to Colorado a year later, so he's probably been busy mucking up the fishing in that state.

As a result of the introduction we have no vegetation in the pond now. But the carp muddy up the water scavenging for detritus on the bottom.

The biggest one I've caught thus far was 29 lbs in 2008. Oddly, it took a floating Rapala I was twiching on the surface.

k

dennishoddy

Its a grass carp if I'm not wrong.
I think the "old" way of thinking in pond managment reccomends putting in some grass carp to reduce vegetation when the pond is new or renewed. 10 years ago, the thinking was no vegetation so the predator fish could manage the smaller fish that could cause stunting.

I'll bet with this drought, ponds getting low, no vegetation to add oxygen to the water, and fish kills, the thinking has changed.
The latest report I got was fish, eat the middle sized fish, throw back the bigguns after a pic, to prey on the little fish. There has to be a food chain.

I have a buddy with a new pond. He added a couple after two years to help. The Dunns Fish Farm folks said when they get to be around 8-10 lbs to harvest them. If not harvested, they will do exactly what has happened to you.

I like your way of harvest! :D

(btw, I was at the ODW office last week at Kaw Lake. A couple of the fisheries biologist were filleting some grass carp about the size of yours. Said they were tasty)

dennishoddy

No telling how many of them you have in there by now. :(

That got my interest up, as I didn't think they spawned in ponds, and didn't know why. A little google turned this up.

It is a semi-migratory fish; the mature broodstock migrate to the upper reaches of major rivers to propagate. Flowing water and changes in water level are essential environmental stimuli for natural spawning. The fish can reach sexual maturity under culture conditions, but cannot spawn naturally. Hormone injection and environmental stimuli, such as flowing water are necessary for induced spawning in tanks. Gras carp grow rapidly and reach a maximum weight of 35 kg in the wild.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
That got my interest up, as I didn't think they spawned in ponds, and didn't know why. A little google turned this up.

It is a semi-migratory fish; the mature broodstock migrate to the upper reaches of major rivers to propagate. Flowing water and changes in water level are essential environmental stimuli for natural spawning. The fish can reach sexual maturity under culture conditions, but cannot spawn naturally. Hormone injection and environmental stimuli, such as flowing water are necessary for induced spawning in tanks. Gras carp grow rapidly and reach a maximum weight of 35 kg in the wild.

And now I know why they are sterile.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
unfortunately the method to make them tetrapolids (and thus sterile) is not 100% effective. Alas, the Asian carp fiasco in the Illinois River system.

dennishoddy

unfortunately the method to make them tetrapolids (and thus sterile) is not 100% effective. Alas, the Asian carp fiasco in the Illinois River system.

Yeah, washing out of ponds during high water periods have put them into the ecosystem where they can breed. Just another fiasco of introducing a foreign specie into another.

Latest posts