Surprised by gift of a Springfield Ronin, QC issues.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Was given a brand new 5" 45acp. Springfield Ronin. Two problems.
1) The slide catches on the slide release, with no fingers near the slide release. When you're manually sliding it back and forth, with no mag in, it catches, hesitates slightly, and it also rubs on the bottom of the left slide edge.
2) At the back, the slide to frame fit, on the left side of the hammer, is flush, on the right side of the hammer, the slide is protruding
I guess about 1.5mm. out from the frame. Where the slide meets the end of the frame. Not talking about the round ejector button protruding, but it is slightly as well.
I was SO happy to receive this gift! Haven't even fired it yet! Expected better. Called Springfield, have to do this, a bit confusing, return process. Totally bummed their QC isn't up to snuff.
My go-to gun store, not where it was bought, said he doesn't like: Kimber's or Springfield's, too many issues. Thanks buddy!
So, off to Springfield it goes. BTW, is it just me? Or, does the Ronin's mainspring seem excessively heavy for a 45?? Does to me. IDK. And the wood grip panels look GREAT! But are way too thin. And I have medium hands. Have to change them as well, to regular sized.
This was a surprise gift, so I'm not discussing this with the giver, my other half. She probably won't notice it gone for however long it takes to be "fixed". Bummer…

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Here we go! Pictures! The first picture is kinda fuzzy, but is the best at showing the slide pooching out from the frame on the right side of the hammer. Second picture is clearer, but not as good as the first. As I said, the slide is about 1.5mm over where the frame and slide meet, only on the RIGHT side. Not a big deal to many, but it really annoys me. It's sloppy. Along with the slide stop issue. And an update on that. It seems the slide stop hesitates in the middle of the slide stop. Curious, it hangs up at the half-way mark on the slide stop. Very strange. Being mailed to Springfield for BOTH issues TOMORROW! Probably last Springfield I'll ever buy. Some may trash Kimber, but at basically, the same price point, Kimber wins!! On fit and finish, and the stunning rosewood grips! Springfield has rosewood grips as well, but not even close to being as nice. Kimber wins. I LOVE beautiful wood! Ever seen how in a Rolls Royce, the wood laminates match perfectly? Or, how the gloss on them seems so deep? Hours of hand polishing! No, Kimber wood grips are NOT in the same league, but they ARE nicer than Springfield's. I'm not a Springfield fan anymore. JMO. Yours might be different. Damn, I WISH I'd gotten a gift card, instead of a gun. Don't tell my wife!! No Springfield 1911's, no hellcats, no Springfield nothing! As soon as I get this gun back, see it for sale on the big gun sales website. I'm buying a Dan Wesson next.
God bless everyone!! Happy easter!!! Forgive me of this link is totally boring. I'm human, I get upset. I despise SLOPPY workmanship. My daddy taught me, in cabinet making. "There are areas the buyer cannot see, but YOU know if you did your BEST work, even if the owner cannot ever see your hidden work." My daddy.

Attachments

• 4AB400EB-C7ED-4F7E-AC37-8ADDB6824BE4.jpeg
    4AB400EB-C7ED-4F7E-AC37-8ADDB6824BE4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • E5175B9D-2455-497A-9A9C-B58380994CD1.jpeg
    E5175B9D-2455-497A-9A9C-B58380994CD1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow from what I can make out the frame looks like it's been cut away on the right side. That side does not look even as far as shape, left to right but pic is blurry to be sure.
Can easily be fixed but refinishing will be the expensive part.

cxm

Active Fanatic
I don't like Springfield pistols very much (rifles are ok) and Kimber even less.

Hopefully you will have a better experience with Springfield customer service than I did...

For opening price point pistols, I would rather have a Rock Island (Armscor) or a Tias (Turkish) any day.

FWIW

Chuck

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
Really like my Colt Govt series 80,made in the early 80s.... and my Ruger SR 1911 commander model... especially my Kimber Classic Custom Royale from 1996... had a stainless Springfield milspec 1911a1 in stainless, was a great gun...

davidv

Fanatic
About 2 months ago I ordered a Garrison Stainless and where the ambi safety would be (Garrison does not have an ambi) there was a snail trail where the machine or person punched the pin in - I didn't take it because I do not think a gun should have a visual defect right from the factory.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
About 2 months ago I ordered a Garrison Stainless and where the ambi safety would be (Garrison does not have an ambi) there was a snail trail where the machine or person punched the pin in - I didn't take it because I do not think a gun should have a visual defect right from the factory.
Welcome from Eastern NC.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't like Springfield pistols very much (rifles are ok) and Kimber even less.

Hopefully you will have a better experience with Springfield customer service than I did...

For opening price point pistols, I would rather have a Rock Island (Armscor) or a Tias (Turkish) any day.

FWIW

Chuck
I pray so! They were easy to deal with, the mailing process was a bit confusing though. I'm sure there rifles are good. On that note, I found this crazy/stupid accurate inexpensive rifle, made in Finland called Tikka, like sub 1"MOA accurate! Your Turkish Tisas 1911's ARE intriguing! I have to find out who sells them near me. Sound like a real bargain!
Bummed about the Ronin. In the one picture you see the G10 regular thickness grips, look cool with the two-tone of the gun. If Springfield can fix the two issues, I might keep it, IDK. What do you think? Keeper? Or, sell?

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow from what I can make out the frame looks like it's been cut away on the right side. That side does not look even as far as shape, left to right but pic is blurry to be sure.
Can easily be fixed but refinishing will be the expensive part.
That will be on THEIR dime. Or, it goes to auction for sure!!! Don't really get the hate Kimber gets. I think their 4" SS Raptor is one of the coolest looking 1911's! Hard to find though. Only saw a used one, selling at MSRP (no thanks), in last two years. I'm seeing prices coming down a bit, maybe I can FINALLY find a new one for sale. I'd trade the Springfield for a down payment on a Kimber SS Raptor in a SECOND!

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
It was the best I could do with my iPhone to take a close-up of the right side of where the slide and frame meet, that's the best it would focus, but even blurry, you can see the issue clearly. Not good. Most people probably wouldn't even care. It's just when you "see" it, it might as well be glowing neon. The slide stop hesitation is a more serious issue. Maybe because of the rabid COVID gun sales, Springfield is just on overdrive getting product out. I cannot see how THAT issue was not identified after assembly. Never mind the poor slide to frame fit. Oh well. I've got bigger fish to fry than my guns. My mother is depressed, and my sister REALLY depressed. A LOT of people are depressed!! It's very sad. So the sloppy Springfield isn't a biggie. We will see what happens. When it returns.
God bless everyone! Keep your powder dry!

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
That will be on THEIR dime. Or, it goes to auction for sure!!! Don't really get the hate Kimber gets. I think their 4" SS Raptor is one of the coolest looking 1911's! Hard to find though. Only saw a used one, selling at MSRP (no thanks), in last two years. I'm seeing prices coming down a bit, maybe I can FINALLY find a new one for sale. I'd trade the Springfield for a down payment on a Kimber SS Raptor in a SECOND!
I understand and I have a Kimber that I love, my only issue is some of their models are a little overpriced for what you get but like mine, which is a full size custom II, is at about the correct price for quality that you get. I also like classic looking firearms, all my 1911s are basic looking classic styles.

Petard

Active Fanatic
Agreed! I have a TLEII that I have had for 10 years and no issues with. I wanted a round-butt and was looking at the Master Carry. "Let" my wife talk me into buying a Master Carry Pro. It works fine, but I just don't love it. Not sure if it's the laser grips (seemed like a good idea at the time), the light-weight frame or the commander size. What ever it is...just doesn't feel right in my hand. I see it becoming a 10mm or .38Super in my future. lol Have a Taurus stainless (friend was getting divorced) which really isn't that bad. My EDC? Emperor Scorpion. Will carry a full size (even here in the Free State of Florida) until my hands say I can't.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Here we go! Pictures! The first picture is kinda fuzzy, but is the best at showing the slide pooching out from the frame on the right side of the hammer. Second picture is clearer, but not as good as the first. As I said, the slide is about 1.5mm over where the frame and slide meet, only on the RIGHT side. Not a big deal to many, but it really annoys me. It's sloppy. Along with the slide stop issue. And an update on that. It seems the slide stop hesitates in the middle of the slide stop. Curious, it hangs up at the half-way mark on the slide stop. Very strange. Being mailed to Springfield for BOTH issues TOMORROW! Probably last Springfield I'll ever buy. Some may trash Kimber, but at basically, the same price point, Kimber wins!! On fit and finish, and the stunning rosewood grips! Springfield has rosewood grips as well, but not even close to being as nice. Kimber wins. I LOVE beautiful wood! Ever seen how in a Rolls Royce, the wood laminates match perfectly? Or, how the gloss on them seems so deep? Hours of hand polishing! No, Kimber wood grips are NOT in the same league, but they ARE nicer than Springfield's. I'm not a Springfield fan anymore. JMO. Yours might be different. Damn, I WISH I'd gotten a gift card, instead of a gun. Don't tell my wife!! No Springfield 1911's, no hellcats, no Springfield nothing! As soon as I get this gun back, see it for sale on the big gun sales website. I'm buying a Dan Wesson next.
God bless everyone!! Happy easter!!! Forgive me of this link is totally boring. I'm human, I get upset. I despise SLOPPY workmanship. My daddy taught me, in cabinet making. "There are areas the buyer cannot see, but YOU know if you did your BEST work, even if the owner cannot ever see your hidden work." My daddy.
I have several Springfields and they all look and work as they should. Mine all except one are early ones, and all but one are Mil Specs. The on that isn't a Mil Spec was one that I bought so another jerk wouldn't get it. I could not stand that man. I worked behind a gun counter for years as a second job. This guy was a gigantic pain in the arse! Miss LD and I were in a gun shop and this fool looked at the gun. I told her that if that he doesn't buy that gun I'm sure as hades going to, so he won't get it! It Has been thru Springfield Custom shop in It's past life. It is again an old one. It has a beautiful trigger pull, a Wilson Barrel, a spur hammer, and had some Springfield adjustable rear sight on it. I hated that sight and had it replaced with a Grizzly Custom retro rear sight. Two tone, Blue slide, stainless frame, Tight slide to frame, and shoots FAR better than I'm capable of. I guess from what I've seen I wouldn't buy any new Springfield 1911. Sorry you got a disappointing one. Springfield doesn't appear to be what they once were.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks so much! Love 1911's!
Welcome aboard, It's nice to have you. If you're a 1911 fanatic for sure you'll fit right in. Greeting from West Mi. home of grinchmer. Hoping that that POS is gone after next election, along with all the rino's, and the other democraps too.

Latest posts