Stored Gasoline

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Gentlemen,

Maybe some of you have some experience with this and can provide some insight.

I have some gasoline in 5 gallon steel Jerry cans. It's pure with no ethanol. It has Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in it. The bottle says it keeps gas fresh for up to two years. Since the gas is ethanol free, I'm thinking it may be OK for more than 2 years.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Nothing more long term than through winter for the yard equipment and garden tractor, power washer, crap like that. Use too much gas to store it for two years:-(

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Keep it cool. 4ozs of Marvel Mystery per 10 gallons will extend better than Stabil alone, it helps keep the Gas from congealing.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
good that it's ethanol free gas, but I think even 2 yrs. is too long to store any gas..
I've had to clean carbs on a m/c that had stabilized gas in it, (it was a 4 cyl. w/ 4 carbs), was NO fun, though
bike ran great after doing a thorough carb cleaning.. Not something I'd like to do again.

I am hopeful that this current gas crisis will be resolved in less than a year..

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
good that it's ethanol free gas, but I think even 2 yrs. is too long to store any gas..
I've had to clean carbs on a m/c that had stabilized gas in it, (it was a 4 cyl. w/ 4 carbs), was NO fun, though
bike ran great after doing a thorough carb cleaning.. Not something I'd like to do again.

I am hopeful that this current gas crisis will be resolved in less than a year..
Yep!
1646922339505.gif

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I always add stabilizer (Sta-Bil) to the gas tank, run the motor until I can smell the stabilizer in the exhaust fumes, then top off the tank, then let it sit.
In the Spring, add battery, start bike, get it up to temp. turn it off. Drain rest of stabilized gas from tank & refill with fresh gas.
Been doing this for many years.
The drained stabilized gas gets added to my truck gas tank.. ( it goes thru gas quickly ).
I have just run the gas thru the bike, but prefer to drain it out, as it can leave an oily residue on the plugs..leading to rough idle,..etc..

a few oz. of Seafoam added to a full gas tank at start of season cleans out any stuff in the fuel system & bikes run great.