Stoeger M3k 3G VS FNH SLP

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
So I haven't shot a 3G match since SW regional in April. My JM Pro did give me some trouble. It's has north of 2k rnds through it. I now find myself owning a M3K and SLP. Both have been modified and barely used. I know I need to go shoot the snot out of both but if you have shot both shotguns or just think you know it all (JT and certain gunsmith) which one would you keep?

Thanks

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
What's the JM Pro doing? 95% of the problems with that gun are the shell stop getting sharp, or the recoil spring plunger getting burrs. Both can be fixed with a file.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
There was a guy local to me that had a Benny Hill VM for sale I was a couple hours to late so I picked up the FNH this week. I'm a hoarder.

Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
What's the JM Pro doing? 95% of the problems with that gun are the shell stop getting sharp, or the recoil spring plunger getting burrs. Both can be fixed with a file.
It's double feeding 2 rounds in. Someone mentioned a spring that catches the shell my need to be replaced.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
Take the shell catch out,clean up the grease and mess behind it. Polish the edge of the catch where the shells touch, lightly regrease to hold the spring on the catch and reinstall.

There can be build up behind the catch that causes problems. And might as well polish it while you have it out.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'd keep the Stoeger. The SLP had its chance to be a viable 3-gun shotgun 4-5 years ago and couldn't hold up long term.

The guys posting ahead of me have a pretty good point. You've got enough invested now that you could have bought the best from the get go with an M2.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
cajunautoxer said:
So is the M2 loading port the same size as M3K?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
They are both 3" guns so the port is similar in size. If you get a 3 1/2" gun you get a larger port. But I don't recommend buying an M3500 or SBE specifically for 3-gun even though they are viable options.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
I was wondering bc I recently used a buddies versa max and man I swear it has a gravitational pull towards the shells

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I had an SLP, couldn't pay me to have another one.

I had the heavy piston sealed and ended up running a pair of Glock extractor springs to keep more downward tension on the lifter. Even then the gun wouldn't go 200 rounds without some kind of issue.

I bought an M1, had the lifter welded, and put on an extension. Best shotgun money spent.

Go buy a stock M2, have the lifter welded, put on an extension, maybe get the loading port opened up. You now have a shotgun that in the right hands can win matches.

martinga111

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been shooting the Stoeger M3000 for 2 years now in local 3G matches. I had some initial issues with Winchester and Estate shot shells, but once I settled on cheap Wal-Mart Federal GP shot shells, I have had no operational issues.
I was on a budget and wasn't sure I would stay with 3G and at the time, I couldn't find a Benelli M2. For sure the M2 is the way to go, but for the money, the Stoeger works for me and I'm not looking to change it now, even though I'm now hooked on 3G and could afford a M2. By the time I get a M2 into 3G condition, I will have $1300-1500 in it and a lot of time in it modifying the loading port. That is more than double what I have in my M3K. As for the JM930 Pro, I don't see many of them at 3G matches anymore and everyone that I know that bought one in the past for 3G, got rid of them and bought either a Steoger or a Benelli. There is another Brand out called Breda B12i, which is made by the same Benelli consortium of companies and they are looking to get into the 3G game. it looks like it already has a generous loading port mod from the factory. You can see them at http://ironcityrifle.com/collections/breda-shotguns. I was told they are $1299, so same price range as the M2, but comes with the loading port done already.
IMG_1625_grande.JPG
IMG_4731_1024x1024.JPG

Chad King

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike Pinto is using a Breda Shotgun not sure if thats the model he is using or not tho. So he might be a good person to message about them. Another alternative if your looking to pick up a better shotgun then the M3000 is the Franchi Affinity you can find them for around $700 and have them 3 gun ready for less then $1000 depending on what you want to add to it. I'm about $950 into mine with a +9 nordic tube, TTI extended lifter, nordic BFB charging handle, and a Redneck tactical bolt release tab. So far just about all the parts for the Benelli M1/M2 have fit on it and we have a whole thread kinda detailing it here http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php/topic/20539-franchi-affinity-as-an-alternative-to-stoeger-m3000-m3k-or-benelli-m2/.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
so this maybe a stupid question. So when ordering a Nordics extension set is it standard for shotguns from the factory to be 4 rounds?

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
cajunautoxer said:
so this maybe a stupid question. So when ordering a Nordics extension set is it standard for shotguns from the factory to be 4 rounds?
Not necessarily. For example, the Benelli Nova is 4 +1 from the factory and the M2 is 3 +1.

Latest posts