Still using gunbroker.com now that they collect taxes for the state(s)?

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Beginning 4/1/2021 gunbroker.com began collecting taxes on behalf of +/- 30 states on all transactions private and not.

Are you still shopping gunbroker?

Will you switch to gunsamerica.com Or some other auction site?

Are there other or better up and coming auction sites not sucking state sphincters?

Old_Man

Fanatic
Beginning 4/1/2021 gunbroker.com began collecting taxes on behalf of +/- 30 states on all transactions private and not.

Are you still shopping gunbroker?

Will you switch to gunsamerica.com Or some other auction site?

Are there other or better up and coming auction sites not sucking state sphincters?
wow, i got in just under the wire...i wondered why my Python sale did not include state sales taxes...

Old_Man

Fanatic
Sorry to say but it was and is only a matter of time before all states collect sales tax on every sale on every site!! Online sales are a cash cow they were never going to leave alone!
yeah, i get a statement yearly of all the items i purchased on a particular website, for computer parts.

needless to say, i just do not shop there anymore.

from the time i buy something, until that statement comes in, i have totally forgotten the purchase.

it's just best the retailer charges us at the time of purchase.

with all states squandering money on useless things like, free public transportation, they gotta make up the money somehow.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Really? I have only come accross One scam listing in 12 years. Remarkably, GB has such poor customer service they are no help if there is a problem. In fact, they are so hard to reach it's as if they are hiding.

That said, the tax collection really SUCKS and that co-operation would seem to go against our grain but what site is better? AuctionAmerica has substantially less selection and is more difficult to use.

Who else do you frequent fliers use if not gunbroker.com??

Bender?

Rifleman1001

Fanatic
I have been a member of GB for about ten years now, all with good experiences except for one a few years ago. I always said that most people dealing with firearms are pretty honest people. Under the username Rifleman1001 I bought and sold, about twenty items including firearms and ammo this year. I worked very hard to earn glowing feedbacks over the years and had 177 as of the end of March. At the end of March I traveled to Texas to visit some of my children and grandchildren. While there I tried to log into my GB Account and received the message "Wrong Password or Username". I knew that was a mistake but went through the process of using my email to retrieve my password and was told that they did not have my email on file. I thought that I would wait until I returned home to straighten this out. When I returned home I received a message from a woman asking how to pay for a Colt pistol that she bought from my account. It turns out that my account was hacked and the scumbag sold three pistols and scammed three people out of a lot of money. At this point I have communicated with all three people, they know it was a scam, and we are all working with different law enforcement agencies to get their money back. I have eight emails to GB Customer Service reporting fraud along with six phone messages. I have had zero contact from GunBroker! That's correct None , No replies! After changing my passwords on all of my account I have received notices from each and every company notifying me of the change. I never received anything from GB. They must have a very weak IT department or just don't care. Sellers and buyers beware, you are on your own. GunBroker could care less. The most help that I have received so far is from the Better Business Bureau. They are working hard to rectify this situation and GB is dragging their feet and stonewalling.

Rifleman1001

Fanatic
On another note, I recently joined Guns International. The same day that I signed up I received a personal phone call from the gentleman that administers the site in Florida. Very surprised to have that personal contact. I have sense bought a firearm from a private seller on GI and was very pleased. (No Tax)

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
At best, gun broker.com has terrible customer service.

Always seems to me like they are hiding from their customers.

When there is actual visible fraud in an ad or on an account it is very hard to get a timely response or even any response from them at all.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I have used Gun Broker for about 10-12 years and have been lucky. I am also on GunsAmerica.com. I placed a bid on an AR for a low ball price just to see what reaction I would get. I got an email the very next day from GunsAmerica notifying me that the seller was found to be a scammer and not to send any money , and if I had already to contact them at a special email address and they would help to get my money back. Thankfully I hadn't sent any money.
I did figure out that some of the sellers on GunBroker use shills to inflate the selling price. I have found the same bidders name on certain sellers page that kept upping the the bid to get the final price where the seller wants it to be. These are the "no reserve" dollar bids, not all but I have caught a few. You must be careful and do some due diligence to keep from getting scammed.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
On another note, I recently joined Guns International. The same day that I signed up I received a personal phone call from the gentleman that administers the site in Florida. Very surprised to have that personal contact. I have sense bought a firearm from a private seller on GI and was very pleased. (No Tax)

I don't use gun broker, never have, but I have used Guns International and had nothing but good experiences. Seems like a higher class of seller there? Perhaps vetted more deeply? I have no idea. While I don't use gun broker I do browse occasionally for current pricing and have seen several for sale ads that were likely fraudulent.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Interesting. I joined gunsinternational.com on Monday and I didn't get a phone call.

Rifleman1001

Fanatic
Update! After a month I just had my GunBroker account restored with scam negative feedbacks restored. If it were not for a complaint filed with the BBB and their follow up help this would not have happened. I still have never been contacted by GunBroker. Buyers and sellers beware.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Update! After a month I just had my GunBroker account restored with scam negative feedbacks restored. If it were not for a complaint filed with the BBB and their follow up help this would not have happened. I still have never been contacted by GunBroker. Buyers and sellers beware.
Thats good to know , I will look into GI always looking for a good place to do business . Thanks for all that info .

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
Never to say never, I've pulled in my horns on GB, for a bit anyway.

The state sales tax thing was good while it lasted but it's now going to be collected by all on-line sales. That makes it a shoulder shrugger, not a sole reason to look elsewhere.

Scams and GB indifference or lack of response doesn't instill confidence though.

Shipping is very messed up right now. That's cooled my jets on everything from Ebay to Amazon.

I'm a worrier, plain and simple. I'll always check feedback before buying. Then I'll check shipping details about 20 times a day until I have the firearm in my hand.

All of these factors have combined to make what should be enjoyable into a stressful deal.

Then ya got the ammo shortage that has me flinching every time I pull the trigger at the range.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
F gunbroker. I bought my Dan Wesson from that site. Was listed as a "demo", but was a blem. Tried to contact GB, crickets. The only thing I use them for is pricing a used gun if I am looking at buying one. GB can kiss my ass.

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm that guy you've heard about that bought a Dan Wesson Pointman Carry for 300 above MSRP.

I had been shopping this one on-line for a month or so. First I heard that they had been discontinued. I verified that by noting a bump up of a couple hundred bucks on the ones I had been watching on GB.

I decided that it was now or never so I got serious.

By now Covid panic had met election day panic and I was caught in the crossfire.

I couldn't sleep on it much less whistle a happy tune or even count my lucky stars.
The train was leaving the station so I better just buy a ticket.

It just so happened that one of the GB sellers was a brick and mortar down in San Antonio. A 90 mile drive took all of the shipping worry and an FFL fee off the bottom line... So I'm going to.

Well, I did.
Now I'm the proud owner of a new/discontinued pre-Colt Dan Wesson/CZ . Stupid tax, thumb tax, carpet tax all paid in full.