Springfield Armory Springfield Range Officer for first 1911?

David D

Active Fanatic
I'm going to take a minute to rant about Springfield. Do I think they are great pistols? Yes, absolutely. They have great tolerances for a production gun. The fit and finish of their entry models are top notch.

Now, would I ever give Springfield my money? No.

Several years back, when Illinois was passing legislation to require State Registration for manufacturers and gun store owners, Springfield, through their lobbyist, gave money to the lead democrat on the state legislature who authored the bill. The end result, they got an exception for manufacturers so Springfield and Rock River Arms did not have to comply with the new laws, while the average gun store owner did. This really hurt the mom and pop shops who could not afford the licensing requirements like the big corporations.

After the fact, and due to widespread criticism, the president of Springfield released a weepy video about how he was a huge proponent of the second amendment and would never betray the cause. You can search for it on youtube it is still there. Springfield said their lobbyist was the one who negotiated the deal and they didn't know anything about it. Meanwhile, if you research the lobbyist who worked for Springfield, there were two other names associated with the PAC the lobbyist formed, the presidents of Springfield and RRA. For those of you who don't know, a PAC is a way to funnel money to various politicians to gain favor and get them to support your cause. It allows people to effectively give more money when they are maxed out on personal contributions. Well, there were several contributions made to the democrat writing the legislation to the tune of thousands of dollars from the Springfield PAC. You can't tell me that the PAC was making expenditures and the two people who funded it did not know where it was going. That, and the guy is still their lobbyist. If he went rogue, why is he still lobbying on their behalf?

I remember Rob Leatham bullying some people on facebook years back saying they did not know what they were talking about and did not have all the facts. Didn't care for that bullcrap either.

I have to remind myself of this every time I look at their 1911s or consider buying one of their products.

Doug Abbott

New Fanatic
I have the RO pistols in both 45 and 9mm. Very nice pistols and have been super reliable. I had the 9mm customized at Springfield to be more competitive in IDPA and USPSA but even out of the box they were both reliable and capable of producing tight groups. I also have 1911's by Les Baer, Kimber, Colt and STI but still enjoy shooting the Range Officers.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I love my Springfield Range Officer chambered in 9mm. Very accurate, and hard to beat at that price point. No disappointments!

C9DEB384-AECC-4499-BE15-800217F2B14F.jpeg

Joker5

New Fanatic
Hi, new member here. I'd like your thoughts and opinions. I'm a grandmom who enjoys shooting when I can. I enjoy learning about guns and I own several, but no 1911 yet.

My oldest grandson (age 23) really likes 1911s although he doesn't have one. I'm thinking of buying one for him for his college graduation, although he thinks I'm buying it for me. (I'm trying to accumulate a small collection so that I can leave all my kids and grands a gun.) We would both like a classic styled one, .45, with wooden grips. I've heard good things about the Range Officer for that price level, and he likes the looks of it. We've never seen one in person. We want something that is good to go right out of the box. We don't do tournaments or anything, just some casual shooting. Hoping to keep the price close to $1000. I want something nice, but not high end of course, and not low end either.

He first wanted a Sig but I think he may have changed his mind after learning about this one. He is "helping me pick one out." :)

Pros and cons of the Range Officer for our purposes, and any other thoughts? I don't want to make a bad choice. Many thanks!
I bought a range officer in 9mm about 3 months ago. Have only taken to range twice but I really enjoy it. It is a lot more accurate than I am.
Hi, new member here. I'd like your thoughts and opinions. I'm a grandmom who enjoys shooting when I can. I enjoy learning about guns and I own several, but no 1911 yet.

My oldest grandson (age 23) really likes 1911s although he doesn't have one. I'm thinking of buying one for him for his college graduation, although he thinks I'm buying it for me. (I'm trying to accumulate a small collection so that I can leave all my kids and grands a gun.) We would both like a classic styled one, .45, with wooden grips. I've heard good things about the Range Officer for that price level, and he likes the looks of it. We've never seen one in person. We want something that is good to go right out of the box. We don't do tournaments or anything, just some casual shooting. Hoping to keep the price close to $1000. I want something nice, but not high end of course, and not low end either.

He first wanted a Sig but I think he may have changed his mind after learning about this one. He is "helping me pick one out." :)

Pros and cons of the Range Officer for our purposes, and any other thoughts? I don't want to make a bad choice. Many thanks!
I bought a RO in 9mm 3 months ago but have only taken it to the range twice. I can say I enjoy shooting it and it is a lot more accurate than I am.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Right now Grab A Gun has Remington R1 stainless, wood grips 485 after rebate. I have the enhanced stainless and been very happy with it

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome: I have all 4 models 9mm in 4" and 5", .45 ACP in 4" and 5". I also have a number of other Springfield 1911's and other pistols and rifles. Average price in my area for a RO in 9mm or .45 is mid to high $800.00's. You and your grandson will not be disappointed. Springfield has a great warranty and in my experience great customer service. They stand behind their products and for a production weapon it is a good choice. If you have a range near by most have rental guns that you can try out. Give one a good test drive and you will see what I mean. Best of luck..

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got 3 RO's. A 45 a 9 and a 9 Compact. They're good guns. However, if you look on Gun Broker, and have a little patience, sometimes you will find a new Dan Wesson at close to the price of a new RO. It's worth the extra change.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Another thing I really like about the RO, is that if you ever decide to go the route of a custom build by some of the great smiths, they have great slide and frame fit to serve as foundation for a build.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Another thing I really like about the RO, is that if you ever decide to go the route of a custom build by some of the great smiths, they have great slide and frame fit to serve as foundation for a build.

True. I went that route, love that gun.

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
True, I sacrificed my forged50895089 RO 9 frame for the new CO bulid for my Wife.

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmmm - does anybody start with a Colt anymore? I happen to like the sound of saying it's a Colt 45 and mine is Stainless Commander length. So I'm biased!
:cool:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmmm - does anybody start with a Colt anymore? I happen to like the sound of saying it's a Colt 45 and mine is Stainless Commander length. So I'm biased!
:cool:
If you start with the right one. I had a beautiful Colt government model with gorgeous blueing that was my dad's (and recently gave it to my son) but it was a rattle trap. Thirty years old but probably less than 2000 through it. Not sure how much that effected how it shot but it sounded terrible. I mean really loose. My RO on the other hand has far superior slide/frame fit. They would probably both be priced about the same if bought today.

cec2

Fanatic
Thanks again, guys! My grandson has been out of town and is working a lot this summer. We still haven't found one to see and handle, but we are liking the RO more each time we read more about it. Hopefully we can do something in the next month or so.

Good lookin' guns, all! :)

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks again, guys! My grandson has been out of town and is working a lot this summer. We still haven't found one to see and handle, but we are liking the RO more each time we read more about it. Hopefully we can do something in the next month or so.

Good lookin' guns, all! :)
I bought my stainless RO sight unseen and was not disappointed. I added the new shoes with flat bottom for the S&A magwell.

That gun has a lot more miles on it now as a match blaster.

cole982

Fanatic
That's an excellent starter, it has just about everything you need. My first was a SA Mil-Spec that I've lightly modified and upgraded. I did all of the work on it myself and learned how by reading up on it online and watching YouTube videos. It actually didn't turn out too bad. I had even refinished it in blue.
b59fb1a399e5b51c08f9b166ebc60beb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts