Springfield frame. Question

Humbarger

Fanatic
I have a Springfield ss 1911 frame with no ejector pin hole. Has anyone tried rockset instead of green loktite
to secure the ejector. I know from experience that when rockset is used to secure muzzle brakes the
brakes are on for good!

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
If your not going to pin it, Red Loctite 609 I believe would probably work OK. You'll have to heat it to about 500 Deg. to loosen it. How old is the Springer frame? I'm surprised it isn't pinned. That being said I'm not familiar with rockset. Sounds something like JB Weld, never comes off.

Humbarger

Fanatic
Rock set is truly bad ass stuff. A tiny vial of it usually comes with high end flash suppressors / suppressor adaptors. The weird thing about it is THAT THE ONE AND ONLY THING That will loosen it is
Boiling water. The frame is at least 25 years old. I'm building it into a 40cc / 10mm pig gun.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have not heard of Rockset however green loctite is way too weak I believe for this app.
Can you have the pin hole drilled? I send a bit through before final fitting.

Red LT would be easier to remove than JB or any strong mastic.
Rock set sounds great for a muzzle brakes however the temps this will withstand will make it very hard to remove.

Last edited:

Humbarger

Fanatic
The problem with useing red loktite is that high heat / propane torch heat is required to loosen it. I dont like to use high heat on a 1911 frame. The BIG advantage of Rockset is the factory method to loosen it. Boiling water thats all! We have tested it in the shop heating a Rockset secured suppersor adaptor to 1500 degrees +. Still tight as hell. Would not even budge useing a 24" pipe wrench!
Thats tight. Applied boiling water per factory instructions came loose easily. Don't know the chemistry of this stuff but its some damn tough stuff.

Humbarger

Fanatic
We've never seen it for sale. I have only seen it in a small single application tube when it comes with suppressor adaptors.

I just checked Amazon. Rocksett is available in 2oz applicators. $10.00 each

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
That Rockset stuff sounds good. Can you get it online? I want some. Could have used it on my EX-Mother-in-laws lips.
This could prove useful for some areas you may want removal without damaging heat applied to the part.

I left a link above for Brownells they have Rock sett as well.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
surprised a springfield frame thats 25 years old hasn't got ejector pin hole drilled?? My experience is all the newer frames come undrilled but all older ones I've owned or fondled have hole drilled.

I hate they don't drill the hole, pita for the owner.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Springfield ss 1911 frame with no ejector pin hole. Has anyone tried rockset instead of green loktite
to secure the ejector. I know from experience that when rockset is used to secure muzzle brakes the
brakes are on for good!

Rocksett isn't good for a part that is going to receive repetitive impacts like an ejector. It's great for high heat, but think of it like ceramic, it's rather fragile when struck

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
The problem with useing red loktite is that high heat / propane torch heat is required to loosen it. I dont like to use high heat on a 1911 frame. The BIG advantage of Rockset is the factory method to loosen it. Boiling water thats all! We have tested it in the shop heating a Rockset secured suppersor adaptor to 1500 degrees +. Still tight as hell. Would not even budge useing a 24" pipe wrench!
Thats tight. Applied boiling water per factory instructions came loose easily. Don't know the chemistry of this stuff but its some damn tough stuff.
Rocksett breaks loose very easily if the tooling is struck with a sharp blow from a 2# mini sledge

SoCal1911

Fanatic
If your ejector has come loose contact Springfield customer service, it should have lifetime warranty.
I picked up a used EMP and the ejector was loose they pinned it for free and paid for shipping both ways.
If you fix it yourself, the warranty could be denied. Just my 2 cents.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
brakes are on for good!
Is it a 1911? On a 1911 you take or pull down the firing pin slide or lock pull out the firing pin & slide the ejector out pulling it out of the hole. Had to look at a couple of Springfields to be sure. If it's a 2011 that a different story.

aegiswa

Fanatic
I have had a several of mine drilled (SACS and local 1911 smith) as the ejectors were "glued" on they were LW Operators and a SS TRP - I like having them pinned, but from what I understand even if the "glue" comes loose the ejector will continue to function but it would come out if the slide is removed. I will add I had never had an issue with the "glue" prior to pinning.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
After examining a new "defender" series springfield 1911, I found the ejector was indeed pinned in place with frame drilled thru from the factory, hey well done. However, the plunger tube I found to be glued in place rather than properly staked. What?

If the ejector comes loose it will not tie up the pistol. If the plunger tube flies off, had this happen years ago on an old springer GI, it will definitely tie up the pistol. So springfield has traded one questionable build practice for another. Puzzling.

Not much of an issue for me as I have the tools to properly stake on a new plunger tube. I will pick up a new tool steel tube from Nighthawk Custom next week and have it on hand for when the glued in tube fails. Simple staking in the oem tube isn't possible due to the short "legs" springfield uses on its oem plunger tube.

Latest posts