Solid Copper Bullets

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I see many loads using the 110 gr.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
What is the .300 HAM'R vrs. the .300 Blackout?

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
What is the .300 HAM'R vrs. the .300 Blackout?

Longer case length. Heavier powder charge. The 300 Blackout won't get to 2440 fps. Minimum velocity is 1500 fps. With Lil' Gun powder, I think I can get up to around 1900 fps.

dennishoddy

I love copper bullets. Used Barnes in the Muzzleloader with perfect expansion and 99% weight retention to take many whitetail. Use the Barnes TTSX in the 30-06 to take 10 elk in 12 trips. They rarely take a step with the last at 590 yards. Complete pass through.
I've moved from a .44 mag revolver to a S&W 10mm pistol for bear defense. Since penetration is more important than expansion, went with the Underwood 200 grain copper monolithic bullets. Hopefully never have to use them.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Longer case length. Heavier powder charge. The 300 Blackout won't get to 2440 fps. Minimum velocity is 1500 fps. With Lil' Gun powder, I think I can get up to around 1900 fps.
I looked at the advertising and the claims quite fantastic and not very believable
Terminal performance testing on over 2000 Texas feral hogs and various game animals as large as 800 pounds has proven it to kill much more effectively than the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62×39 or 300 Blackout.
To be fair the 300 blackout is based on the 300 whisper that was designed to be a suppressed cartridge with 220 point bullets at subsonic speeds. Means a small powder charge and I have no doubt that people can design more powerful loads for the AR15 rifle.

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I looked at the advertising and the claims quite fantastic and not very believable

To be fair the 300 blackout is based on the 300 whisper that was designed to be a suppressed cartridge with 220 point bullets at subsonic speeds. Means a small powder charge and I have no doubt that people can design more powerful loads for the AR15 rifle.
The 300 Blackout was designed to use standard AR15 hardware other than the barrel. It can also be loaded to run subsonic as well as supersonic. It's primary use is CQB.

The video is demonstrating a Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos bullet shot at 2440 fps in a rifle with an 18 inch barrel, chambered in 300 Ham'r. This is a supersonic only caliber that the advertising is for

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
The 300 Blackout was designed to use standard AR15 hardware other than the barrel. It can also be loaded to run subsonic as well as supersonic. It's primary use is CQB.

The video is demonstrating a Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos bullet shot at 2440 fps in a rifle with an 18 inch barrel, chambered in 300 Ham'r. This is a supersonic only caliber that the advertising is for
It was direct copy of the 300 whisper and many 300 black out chambers will accept a loaded 300 whisper round. The whisper is a proprietary brand name. The blackout is a SAAMI spec version of the 300 whisper. Just what was change that significantly changes the performance of the 300 blackout vs the 300 whisper. Just the loads that are put into the rounds.
Google factoide: The 300 Whisper and 300 Blackout have small differences in their brass dimensions: Blackout 0.004 larger in the neck, 0.018 longer case length and 0.16 longer OAL. Also the Whisper is a wildcat while the Blackout is SAAMI standardized. Apparently those differences make the Blackout the more attractive of the two.

I plan to use 300 whisper dies for reloading 300 blackout and then I will find out if things work or not. If the shoulder is not right on, I might have a problem and will need to get the correct dies.

dennishoddy

Gotta admit, never used solid copper bullets. Good info. I've got a bucket of pennies. I'll be at the reloading store tomorrow, I'll have to scope copper bullets out.
You won't go back to lead except for plinking rounds when you do.
For many years I've seen the writers in the gun mags lament how they lost game because the bullet didn't perform, losing too much lead, blah, blah.
That will not be an issue with copper. I've recovered around 5-6 bullets from elk and one from a deer.
All retained 99% of their initial weight with perfect expansion. I'm sold.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I have some copper that I plan to load for combat loads 7.62x39 and 300 blackout. They do well on barriers and also on flesh. They seem to raise pressures a bit for full loads.
1671249611339.png

The grooves in the copper as i understand it are meant to require less force (less Pressure) when the bullet is being engraved by the lands.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have some copper that I plan to load for combat loads 7.62x39 and 300 blackout. They do well on barriers and also on flesh. They seem to raise pressures a bit for full loads.
View attachment 29751

The grooves in the copper as i understand it are meant to require less force (less Pressure) when the bullet is being engraved by the lands.
"The grooves in the copper as i understand it are meant to require less force (less Pressure) when the bullet is being engraved by the lands."

That makes sense due to less surface area contact.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm supposed to have some 115gr Controlled Chaos bullets delivered today. I think they will be a bit better for 300 Blackout than anything any heavier than that. I'll load the 125gr. bullets too, but the 115gr will be the ones I keep a mag full of.

These bullets are very well made. The claim is that they are CNC machined. I can confirm that. I examined one under magnification and I can see the machining marks. They are too uniform to have been done any other way.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm supposed to have some 115gr Controlled Chaos bullets delivered today. I think they will be a bit better for 300 Blackout than anything any heavier than that. I'll load the 125gr. bullets too, but the 115gr will be the ones I keep a mag full of.

These bullets are very well made. The claim is that they are CNC machined. I can confirm that. I examined one under magnification and I can see the machining marks. They are too uniform to have been done any other way.
115 grain wts can be driven a little faster that helps with trajectory.

dennishoddy

Every Barnes bullet is individually machined on CNC machine tool.
It's not like the old days of machining when the operator had to stop the process, make a measurement and reset the cross feed on the lathe. It happens quickly now with the computer-controlled process.

Latest posts