Shoulder Holster Advice?

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Getting old and my back is killing me!

Trying shoulder holsters to take the weight off my waist. Any recomendations for EXCELLENT shoulder holsters?

I have tried the cheap ($20) blackhawk canvass shoulder rigs and like them if you remove all the rings and custom fit them. they are cheap enough that you can buy a few and customize for each gun and purpose. I got another leather rig but the leather was too thin. Got one from Tom at Weapons Education and it is very nice but $$$.

I have never liked the Galco rigs. I really hate units that ride (and are exposed) on your neck instead across the back. I prefer broader shoulder straps BUT WHAT I REALLY PREFER IS CONCEALED (not high riding exposed on the neck), WELL MADE AND COMFORTABLE.

What's an old man to do?

Appreciate all advice, recommendations and tips.

thx

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It's the Jack ass for me, it beats having the 1911 pants drag down LOL.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Getting old and my back is killing me!

Trying shoulder holsters to take the weight off my waist. Any recomendations for EXCELLENT shoulder holsters?

I have tried the cheap ($20) blackhawk canvass shoulder rigs and like them if you remove all the rings and custom fit them. they are cheap enough that you can buy a few and customize for each gun and purpose. I got another leather rig but the leather was too thin. Got one from Tom at Weapons Education and it is very nice but $$$.

I have never liked the Galco rigs. I really hate units that ride (and are exposed) on your neck instead across the back. I prefer broader shoulder straps BUT WHAT I REALLY PREFER IS CONCEALED (not high riding exposed on the neck), WELL MADE AND COMFORTABLE.

What's an old man to do?

Appreciate all advice, recommendations and tips.

thx
I have no idea what would be best, I do know that my back bothers me with or w/o a gun on my person. It sucks getting old! I remember when I was a kid I'd dream of having a Lawrence shoulder holster. I think it was the model 7 maybe? My memory is getting hazy as I get older. I believe it had a wide spring in the leather to hold the gun in.

Last edited:

Cooperwannabe

Fanatic
I use Perry suspenders to transfer the weight to my shoulders. They attach to your belt instead of your trousers.