Shooting hard cast bullets through a glock?

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I was told not to shoot lead through a Glock, That it can cause over pressure and crack the barrel? Any thoughts? Is hard cast okay?

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I have Glocks I shoot not so hard cast through and I had one that after 5 rounds I would stop. Sold that last to a buddy who had more money than i had need. I think it depends on the shooter, the load and the bbl. BTW cleaning technique as well.

To each their own. A 100.00 bbl is cheap insurance.

backer

Well-Known Fanatic
Hard cast lead and coated lead bullets are the only thing my G22 has ever seen. I have had 5k lead bullets pass through my barrel just fine! Keep your barrel clean and you should be just fine.

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I have Glocks I shoot not so hard cast through and I had one that after 5 rounds I would stop. Sold that last to a buddy who had more money than i had need. I think it depends on the shooter, the load and the bbl. BTW cleaning technique as well.

To each their own. A 100.00 bbl is cheap insurance.
BBL????

dennishoddy

I'm on the fence on this. Hard cast lead is softer than a copper jacketed bullet. I don't see how this can damage a barrel. I have thousands of cast rounds through my Kimber .45.
The barrel is not cracked, nor leaded up. Run a bore snake through it on occasion. Do a complete clean on it once on awhile, and it runs.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I shoot lead through mine on occasion, but before I leave the range I run a couple FMJ's through it to clean out some of the lead build up.
If you're really worried about problems you could just get a lone wolf barrel that has the regular rifling. You can find em used for $75-$85 usually.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The leading does show in a Glock barrel, but you can generally shoot lead projectiles just fine. I did it for a while, and mostly cleared it out using jacketed bullets every few hundred rounds. You'll have to clean it more often than never. BTW, "bbl" is a crappy holdover from the days of the petroleum revolution, and means "blue barrel".

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
Provided the bullet is hard enough you won't have any issues. The warning was intended to warn against using cowboy/pure/nearly pure lead bullets.

I put 4,600 lead bullets through my old G22 while trying my hardest to have a kB. But it wasn't happening.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Hard cast bullets are okay to shoot but you must give your Glock barrel a thorough cleaning afterward. Do not shoot the soft lead/cowboy bullets through it. The rifling in the Glock barrel is different than that of 1911 pistols. The Glock barrel doesn't have lans and grooves so lead will get in the troughs and cause the gasses to not escape, creating overpressure. Shooting some copper FMJ after shooting some lead and an excellent cleaning with a lead solvent should clean your barrel enough to not worry about it.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Glock bbls have polygon and hexagon rifling.
The warning is for all cast.
A lot goes into a cast bullet other than the hardness.
Normally you get a build up in front of the chamber. This can cause higher pressures and bad things to happen.
In my first post here I think I stated I had one Glock (bbl) that I wouldn't shoot more than five rounds through. Others depending on the load and bullet I might shoot a few hundred.
If you shoot lead you need to build up and see what your bbl load will take if it will take it.
Those that saw me at Heartland know I shoot mostly lead, so it is from a point that I shoot lead, but also know it is very dependent on everything from the bbl to the powder, to the vel, to the fit, to the lube, and even if the bbl is hot or not if your bbl can tolerate that load / bullet/ bbl combo.
Want a little insurance and no worries purchase an after-market bbl. Want to save a few pennies shoot a few rounds and check the condition of your bbl from both ends in strong light and keep doing it until you are uncomfortable with the build up which shouldn't be any.
Just going out and shooting lead with no worries is foolish until you know what your load/ bullet and bbl can take in a Glock.
You will also have to know what your bbl can take after your cleaning procedures. Again take note just in front of the chamber.
Lastly to each their own, but if anyone screws up using lead don't blame Glock.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Polygonal and hexagonal rifling. Compare the Glock barrel to a 1911 barrel. They are completely different.

Latest posts