Seth Martin - Production Log

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
So i am starting a new log dedicated solely to my Production shooting. I realized after the 2012 LPR Nats that i have been cheating myself by not following through with my training, and that stops NOW. I am starting my Pre 2013 Season training alittle early, tomorrow to be precise. I have written up the schedule i WILL follow but i haven't hammered out ALL the details(as in what drills to start with and such) i am working out those details this evening before i go to bed.

So here it is, my training schedule for the Pre Pre Training will be as follows:

Dry Fire(drills supplied by Anderson Shooting)
Monday - 7am-8am & 9pm-10pm
Wednesday - 7am-8am & 9pm-10pm
Friday - 7am-8am & 9pm-10pm

If i miss a training because of work i will make it up on the Tues/Thur following the day i missed.

Live Fire: 500rds Total
1st Sunday Steel Challenge Match @ ITPSC - Min. 125rds
3rd Saturday USPSA Match @ ITPSC - Approx. 150rds
4th Saturday/Sunday - Random drills from the Practice Deck

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Kudos to you for throwing this up. I too have slacked in my dry fire. I do t have the balls to make a list though. Good luck man!

Airic

I shoot.
and I just thought I was going to get a break from the reloading machine...

lol

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright people here is what was accomplished on my first day of dryfire. First off i only got one session in today because my holster didn't show up till about 2 BOOOO USPS, however YAY! to The Shooter's Source. I ordered it LATE saturday and received shipping notification that a shipping label had been created and was set for pick up on Monday morning on SUNDAY morning(they are my heroes), Makeup is tomorrow evening after work.

Basically i learned today that Drawing from a production holster is not as easy as you people make it look. Right now i have the following stats to write down(these are based on trying different par times and the FASTEST time i got 10/10 is the time i am using)

HAS to sight picture - 1.40s
WAS to sight picture - 1.50s
HAS Turn to sight picture - 1.80s
HAS Str Hand only sight picture - 2.00s
HAS Wk Hand only sight picture - 2.40s
Burkett Reload - 1.3s

That is all i had time for tonight. used up my entire hour and my arms hurt, but if it was easy to train EVERYONE would do it ALL THE TIME.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I am sure you are an experienced shooter but if you start to feel a little tennis elbow coming on I would encourage you to get a strap to put on your upper forearm
Good luck

Raford

Well-Known Fanatic
So Seth, What gun are you shooting in production?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Is this just to get a qualification in Production or are you seriously going to compete with Eric on a daily basis?

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
I am shooting a G34. Just ordered a set of Warren/Sevigny Sights, ZT Connector, ZT Comp Spring Kit, and a ZT Recoil Spring(12lb), and i plan on ordering a KKM Barrel in the next couple weeks.
Eric is gonna be my "Trainer" of sorts since i haven't actually shot production. I will be shooting production all next season at least. Maybe more depending on how i do.

My goal(however high) is to have the STUDENT surpass the TEACHER, LMAO.

Raford

Well-Known Fanatic
Stage planning will be the biggest difference for you. You'll be surprised how much you are going to miss all those extra shots you "Used" to have. My best advice is learn to count!!

Of Course you'd like to beat the teacher. But it always comes down to a line in a western movie about an old gun slinger who had taken a young "Quick" kid under his wing. One day they come up against each other, and it goes like this: The Kid - "Old man, you taught me everything know." The Old Man - "Kid I taught you everything you know, I didn't teach you everything that I know"

Best of luck to you! Sounds like we need to plan a trip to Indian Territory to check on the progress next spring!

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Stage planning at this point in my production career is minor. Right now i am more concentrated on getting to where my basic skills are tailored to production rather than limited. I think my biggest obstacle at this moment is my grip , which is WAY different than the 2011 i have been shooting for the last 18 years of my shooting career(i know 20 years of shooting and i still suck, lol) but i am changing that this year. Dont get me wrong i think stage planning will be huge once the shooting starts but i am taking this one step at a time so i dont form any bad habits. Plus i have my boy to help me with exact planning for awhile, i am already pretty good at planting the llan in my head and following it.

Lol i know everything he knows. 2 18 hour trips to vegas and all the matches we goto. He knows alot but that much drive time he spilled everything lol.

DEFINITELY come down to Indian Territory for a match soon. We are stepping up the stage design abit to go more towards our training. Gonna break out the swingers, get a few max traps, drop turners. Basically moving stuff, tight shots, and of course THE STEEL STAGE(32 pieces of steel, par time all u can get baby). It will be more towards the beginning of next year before that happens cause of weather and stuff but u get the point.

Raford

Well-Known Fanatic
Grip angle and feel is one of the reasons I went with the EAA Witness Pro for my production gun (Similar to a CZ). Same ole grip angle as every other 1911 clone I shoot from Single Stack to Open (with the exception of my Revo). I was wondering why you went with the Tupperware? When we get together next time, I'll let you try out the EAA and see how you like it. Problem is that by then Eric will have you accustomed to the Glock.

Part of my problem is, I shoot too many different guns instead of focusing on one division. Maybe someday, but right now I'm just enjoying shooting in every division USPSA has to offer.

Definitely want to come shoot with you guys so let us know when you're setting up the steel stage, heck, we might even be convinced to bring some more steel, or other moving targets, with us if we really want to have a blast fest. It will seem like a Ponce City Hose Down Stage! LOL!!!

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
I went with the glock because i have basically a "glocksmith" living a block away(eric) so if i have any problems i just show up at his house.

Just an FYI @ ITPSC EVERY MATCH has the steel stage in it. Basically i hate steel, and unless i keep up on it(moreso than anything else) i suck BAD at shooting it. Perk of being a match director i can ALWAYS set it up. Some people complain occasionally but most people either like it or deal with it.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Dryfire last night was an improvement i think. I don't have time to post the stats at the moment but i will later this evening.

Dryfire this morning was a disaster. 6am dryfire sucks but i will get used to it. Been along time since i MADE myself get up that early NOT for work. Stats on those later also.

Will probably wait till after my dryfire this evening and will just post them all

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
I know i stopped posting but i didn't forget about it. I have some work being done on my gun ATM but i should have it back Wed or Thur. Just in time to get alittle practice in on Friday then USPSA Match @ ITPSC on the 17th(Saturday) and i am shooting the Oklahoma State Revo match as Production on the 18th(Sunday). Updates/Video's of practice(dry and live fire) are forthcoming so stay tuned on my journey to being the best i can be @ Production.

One update that i do have is that Eric is being an awesome mentor and has taught me so much in 2 or 3 conversations that we have had. Starting from scratch has been alittle harder than i thought but with good teaching, a good practice schedule, and a wife that lets me have the time to shoot i should be good to go before next season. I AM EXCITED ABOUT SHOOTING MY FIRST MATCH ON 17NOV12!! Almost can't contain myself.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright so got my gun back from ExtremeShooters and it looks AWESOME. Shot it @ 2 matches this weekend and did suprisingly well actually. Got 2nd Overall at our Club match. Doug showed up with his open gun and whipped us all. however i didn't beat Eric. Eric beat Eric so i don't count it as a overall win... just as a "i get to say i beat him" win.

Shot the Revo Championship match @ SCRAP on sunday(as production) and got 4th Overall 1st production. only shot 84% of the points but i give myself another 3% becuase i had to shoot factory ammo because my reloader had a accident and burnt his reloading hand the day before, **** happens(just gonna have to make sure we always have a few hundred loaded at all times in case of emergency like that).

Here are the things i need to work on specifically:

Accuracy - I am not sure how hard i need to work on it becuase we are having a problem with bullets tumbling which is kiiling my accuracy after about 10 yards. but you can't go wrong with being MORE accurate

Reloads - I haven't had near enough practice going from a ICE Magwell to a glock SMALL HOLE.

Draws - Think i did pretty good. Had a couple of 1s draws at the club match and it feels VERY comfortable.

Trigger - Going from a 1.3lb STI triger to a 2.5lb Glock trigger is quite a change. My dry fire should take care of alot of that and Live fire will cinch it to the point i am running it like a STI. I know it can be done cause i have seen it and i will accomplish this before the season starts.

Dryfire routine starts again on Wednesday. Workout routine continues on Friday after Thanksgiving cause i am gonna have to work that extra weight off cause when my family eats thanksgiving dinner we EAT BABY. think we are having 3 turkeys this year of course there are 25 people gonna be there.

More later STANDBY

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright peeps. Thanksgiving week training didn't go as expected. i only got in 1 dryfire and 1 workout. Sad i know.

Workout was "Core Strength" and DryFire was drills 1-14 of Steve Anderson's 1st Book.

Nothing really remarkable about either one just a steady increase on Draws and reloads.

STANDBY!

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
My dryfire training will be done LATE tonight as i am hoping to work on my knowledge of Reloading this evening with the help of Eric. Here is my reloading knowledge as of now:

Buy the stuff
Deliver it to Eric
Pick up bullets

I am hoping to expand on that some so that if i need some bullets and he is hurt(like right before the OK Revo Sectional) then i can make my own and not have to buy factory or get some from my dad.
Tonight we learn the basic's on checking to make sure we have everything set up for my loads and make some test loads that i will chono tomorrow afternoon. If all goes well maybe tomorrow evening we can work on Mass Producing the 10k rounds i purchased.

STANDBY!

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Training is going good. With the little bit of space i have i can't really do much. but i am working as hard as i can on what i can do. Having a 10x10 computer room as your only dryfire space really hurts your training but that will change soon enough. Anyways my Dryfire draw is down to .9 seconds. My turn and draw has gotten ALOT faster. Match tomorrow so we shall see if all my hard work is paying off. Running 2 Dryfire trainings 3 days a week is tough with the schedule i have but I have been getting it done. Tonight is some more reload drills, draw and transitions.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Todays club match was a good learning experience. I learned:

I am not as comfortable with the glock as i was with my STI.
Changing a plan right before you shoot doesnt work out.
I am getting WAY better with strong and "other-strong"hand shooting
My draws are very consistant and feel great
My reloads are good and getting better everytime i do one
Shooting 95% of the points even at a club match is harder than it sounds

Latest posts