Self Defense Act (SDA) Seminar - Interest Thread

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
In another thread entitled "Why don't you carry" TroyF proposed a seminar by an SDA instructor covering some of the topics we discussed there in that thread, Topics that might get skipped over in the standard SDA class. Spencer Keepers (Prdator) expressed an interest in presenting such a seminar.

Topics could include (but not limited to):
  • Non-lethal threats
  • Mob mentality
  • Disparity of force
  • Justifiable force (deadly or otherwise)
  • Is Troy really fat?
This thread is to gauge interest in such a seminar and maybe discuss some additional topics that might need to be addressed.

The seminar would likely be in OKC.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm definately interested. With my travel schedule, I'm not available until October so if it's before then ...

I'm also interested in some discussions on imediate trama care that we might need on a range. Maybe after a match sometime we look at what everyone has in their IFAK and see if they know what to do with it.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
It might (read: would) be beneficial to find out if someone can wrangle a defense attorney with experience in this topic to discuss the civil process (read: aftermath) of self defense, how the SDA provisions of prosecutorial and civil exemption have played out in actual SD events (where is the fine line?), etc.

I can probably get a course set up in OKC and Tulsa (or at least one) that covers medical aspects of SD shootings and working with the IFAK as the base kit (with a few upgrades). I will start an interest thread for this after I get particulars and we can go from there.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
interested. Perhaps we could have sargen everett from the shooting range in Norman involved. Isn't he an attorney?

shooterdave

Uncivil Servant
As a soon to be instructor ( just waiting on my paperwork to come back from OSBI) I'd be real interested in hearing an experienced instructor's interpretation on the SDA, as well.

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
One topic that seriously needs to be addressed is "What happens when I cross the OK state line with my gun?"

Having taught CHL classes for different states including OK, I think the lesson plan supplied by CLEET is serously deficient in this area, and most OK CHL carriers I meet can't answer even the simpliest questions about going to other states. I add some handouts and discussion on this subject in every class. The advice to "call the AG in other states" is just ignorant when most states maintain an official web site and aren'st set up for everybody to call them.

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
Awesome!!
I'm working on a few ideas and some other posibilities for this class.

Let me ask this, is a small shooting portion after the Seminar needed/ wanted?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Awesome!!

More shooting is always good, however, since this class is more about the legal aspect of self defense maybe just some "blue gun" exercises would suffice. Plus if we are only doing classroom stuff we wouldn't have range fees to deal with. Just an idea

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Awesome!!

I'm always ready for more trigger time, but what would the purpose of the shooting be?
Do you have something in mind that might be beneficial in a self defense situation?
I think a portion geared toward draw & shoot for defensive purposes would be great.
If it's just shooting like the required shooting portion of the the licensing process, I think we could skip it.

Latest posts