SBR Recommend BCG / Buffer System ?

Spanishcop

New Fanatic
Hello Everyone,

NOTE: First build and first time posting here.... Hoping for a great community experience and support for each other.

I'm working on a lightweight AR15 Pistol 5.56 until I can get my tax stamp for the SBR to compete within my dept and surrounding agencies, and I'm trying to keep weight down to a minimum. Though I'm aware that 5.56/223 really does not have much recoil, I"m attempting to lower the recoil to a minimum to help with followup shots. I have pretty much everything I need to build my pistol except the BCG and Buffer/Spring Setup (I do have the JP SCS, but within window to return it if another setup is recommended).

Here is a list of some of the parts I currently own:

Battle Arms LW-BAD556 Receiver Set
Timney Trigger Single Stage Trigger
BAD-ASS Ambidextrous Safety Selector
Phase 5 Extended Bolt Release Ver 2
V7 Weapon Systems - Mag Release
V7 Weapon Systems - Titanium Grip Screw
V7 Weapon Systems - Ultra-Light Takedown Pins
V7 Weapon Systems - Trigger/Hammer Pins 0.154
V7 Weapon Systems - Buffer Retainer/Spring
V7 Weapon Systems - Castle Nut
V7 Weapon Systems - QD End Plate
V7 Weapon Systems - Titanium Barrel Nut for BCM-KMR
EFAB Hybrid Compensator/Brake
KMR 9" Handguard - Keymod
Raptor - Ambidextreous Charging Handle
Hogue Grip
Carbine Buffer Tube
Shockwave Buffer Tube / Shockwave Pistol Stabilizing Brace
---------------------------------------------
10.5" Noveske barrel
SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
JP - Silent Capture Spring - Still within window to return if needed

* Ammo I mostly use is 55gr and 62gr

1) Question about Boomfab BCG.... Will this work with the JP Silent Capture Spring system combined with a 10.5" barrel? JP Enterprises claims it will be just fine since I have an adjustable gas block, but wanted to get input from users, and if recoil is reduced and noticeable.

2) Is there a better buffer system setup for a Lightweight BCG such as the Boomfab or silmilar BCG that you would recommend for use with a 10.5" barrel? I read some discussions about using the Taccom buffer system with standard carbine spring and this would probably help me reduce additional weight instead of the JP SCS. I'm also not very familiar with the mentions of flat springs and whether I would benefit from it or not.

3) I was hoping to stay within the $350.00 range for the BCG and not spend a fortune on a Boomfab if possible. I saw a few people mention a Red X Arms Titanium BCG.... does anyone have any experience or know much about this carrier? http://shop.redxarms...TITANIUMBCG.htm. I see people mention it, but I have not found any reviews or experiences on it anywhere.

4) Is there any recommended alternative to Boomfab for a complete BCG of low weight? If you recommend one, could you be kind enough to place a link reference user feedback or some kind of a review please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually I would like to build a 2nd upper and use the same setup BCG/BUFFER system with a longer barrel for 3Gun matches at my local Sportsman's Club.

I really appreciate any help you can provide me with getting this narrowed down so I can complete this AR.

Thanks you in advance,
Mike

1) Question about Boomfab BCG.... Will this work with the JP Silent Capture Spring system combined with a 10.5" barrel? JP Enterprises claims it will be just fine since I have an adjustable gas block, but wanted to get input from users, and if recoil is reduced and noticeable.
The JP spring system is heavier than just a spring, isnt it? boomfab is nice when you get the gas right.
2) Is there a better buffer system setup for a Lightweight BCG such as the Boomfab or silmilar BCG that you would recommend for use with a 10.5" barrel? I read some discussions about using the Taccom buffer system with standard carbine spring and this would probably help me reduce additional weight instead of the JP SCS. I'm also not very familiar with the mentions of flat springs and whether I would benefit from it or not.
You have a lot of variables going on, and you might as well get used to the strong possibility that you may have to swap stuff after the build based on any issues you might get into, unless you find someone who has already built up a clone of what you have planned..

4) Is there any recommended alternative to Boomfab for a complete BCG of low weight? If you recommend one, could you be kind enough to place a link reference user feedback or some kind of a review please. why not a JP low mass carrier?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing I would say is you probably don't want a muzzle brake on a 10 1/2" barrel. Unless you like getting punched in the face repeatedly!

Spanishcop

New Fanatic
Well spring and buffer is lighter... But I also heard the JP SCS is smooth like ball bearings and willing to keep that even if a little heavier if it still reduces noticeable recoil along with the gas adjustment.

Reference the break comment... The one (efab2) I got is a hybrid and based on reviews it's a good combination of all.

My curiosity was going with lightweight bcg and lightweight buffer/spring and use gas block to adjust recoil and I've heard it's next to almost nothing... Just trying to get some ideas of combinations to try.

I'm know it's trial and error to get the right setup... Being my first build I'm just hoping to get some suggestions and learn more about it all works and what adjustments change what.

Understanding when to make buffer heavier, lighter... Hard Springs, flat Springs etc... Trying to learn but also trying to be as cost effective as possible.

So please any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you again.

Best regards,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
yes, the JP SCS will work with any of the low mass carriers unless they require a proprietary buffer.
No, you don't want the Taccom ultralight buffer with an ultralight carrier. It's great for low mass carriers, but isn't recommended for ultralight carriers like the Boomfab.
You'll definitely want adjustable gas so you can dial it in to what your rifle needs.

Mike is right, the JP low mass carrier is great.

Latest posts