Remington 1911 problem (VIDEO)

Joncard

Fanatic
Ok, so I just bought a Remington 1911 .45ACP on Thursday. I took it out today, Sunday, and put 100 rounds through her, and ran into a problem. The gun supports an 8 round magazine. I would slam in the magazine and pull the slide back to chamber a round. I would shoot through once or twice, and then on the 3rd round, I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. The gun is not jammed, and the hammer is back. No matter how many times you pulled the trigger back, nothing would happen. I would have to drop the magazine out, and pull the slide back to eject the round that is chambered. I would then reload, pulling the slide back, chambering a round, pull the trigger and the gun would fire. It did this twice through 100 round test. What on earth would cause this to happen?

Photo of gun is attached. View attachment 1923

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 58

Joncard

Fanatic
Yeah, gonna have to send this baby in, I think. This is totally uncalled for. I don't think I have ever heard on anyone else having a problem like this before. Thanks guys.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Can you pull the trigger forward when this happens and the fire the gun? In other words is the trigger pinned to the rear when this happens or is it free? If the mag is impeding trigger travel the problem should resolve by dropping the mag, no need for a slide rack. If the trigger is free when this happens I'd think your disconnector is sticking and racking the slide wiggles it just enough to free it. Either way it's time to go visit a smith or send her back to Remington.

probably simpler than that; ill bet you didnt have the grip safety fully depressed. Are you familar with 1911's? amy chance this could be?
A low 2% failure rate is why I think its this. A mechanical issue would show up more often.

Joncard

Fanatic
Yeah, the trigger is free when this happens. The grip safety is fully depressed. You can pull the trigger back, it is not in a fixed position; like that of the safety being implied.

OK, moving on...
next question; why did you drop the magazine out to clear the round that was in the chamber? was it particularly hard to cycle the round out with the magazine in?
My next thought is that the gun was slightly out of battery; as little as a 10th of an inch of the slide not being fully forward will activate the disconnector and render the trigger non-functional and exactly what you said you felt.

What kind of ammo were you using?

Joncard

Fanatic
I always take the mag out to disengage a round that is chambered. Why? I do not know, just a force of habit. I was using Remington ammo. I usually stay away from cheap ammo like Tulo Ammo or the like. Ok, so with the slide not being fully in place like it should, what would cause that?

I always take the mag out to disengage a round that is chambered. Why? I do not know, just a force of habit. I was using Remington ammo. I usually stay away from cheap ammo like Tulo Ammo or the like. Ok, so with the slide not being fully in place like it should, what would cause that?

A dirty chamber, improperly sized ammo, weak spring, something rubbing the slide when its cycling. etc.

When you get a malf, and your first reaction is to drop the mag; that is a bad thing in a defensive situation. We always go back to what we know, or do (how we train/shoot), when in a gunfight.

Tap the mag so its fully seated, rack the slide, and then re-acquire target if necessary.
"tap, rack, bang"

thats all the speculating I want to do on your issue over the internet, without seeing the gun,.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Small chunks of dirt will tie up a tightly fitted gun and prevent it from going into battery. Put another 100 rounds through it, if it continues get it to Remington or a Smith. There's a laundry list of problems that it could have.

Joncard

Fanatic
A dirty chamber, improperly sized ammo, weak spring, something rubbing the slide when its cycling. etc.

When you get a malf, and your first reaction is to drop the mag; that is a bad thing in a defensive situation. We always go back to what we know, or do (how we train/shoot), when in a gunfight.

Tap the mag so its fully seated, rack the slide, and then re-acquire target if necessary.
"tap, rack, bang"

thats all the speculating I want to do on your issue over the internet, without seeing the gun,.

I know that is a bad thing to drop the mag, and then reload. In a defensive situation I would not do that. When I am out on the range or planking around the farm, I tend to drop the mag and start all over.

The chamber is nice and clean and the ammo was the correct size. I will have to take this back out of the range and find out what is going on. Maybe a weak spring I am not sure. When racking the slide back and letting go, the slide goes into its normal position. No where along the way does it get caught up. Maybe If I gently, with the aide of my hand, release and guide the slide in there might be a chance it snags somewhere. That might tell us what the problem could be.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Remington 1911

r39fW.jpg

dennishoddy

probably simpler than that; ill bet you didnt have the grip safety fully depressed. Are you familar with 1911's? amy chance this could be?
A low 2% failure rate is why I think its this. A mechanical issue would show up more often.

I'm betting on this. During some practice, was trying to get a high grip on my never-fail to shoot Kimber, and the trigger would not fall.

Figured out it was the high grip that would not engage the grip safety.

Latest posts