Recommendations, please

Joel Clouse

El Conquistador
Looking to buy a Glock 21 one of these days. Can you all give me some pros and cons between a standard 21 and a 21C? Why should I buy one or the other??

Thanks!

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't think the .45 is a high enough pressure cartridge to really benefit from being ported, but I could be wrong. If you plan to carry it, I would suggest not getting a ported gun for several reasons, one being if you had to fire from a close in position (retention as it's sometimes called) you could get a face full of gas. This can be mitigated by angling the pistol, not hard to train to do, but you better do it. Secondly, any added flash at the muzzle seems like a bad idea in a gun you might fire in the dark, in a self defense roll.

As a plinker, not a thing wrong with it as far as I know, not sure what the benefit is though, maybe some more enlightened folks will chime in.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
If you get the C and don't like it drop a non ported bbl in it. You can not easily or cheaply do it the other way.
Unless you have already decided on the 21 you might look at the 21SF.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You can mitigate muzzle rise by going with a lighter spring, so there's no real reason to go ported unless you can't change a recoil spring or pay anyone to do it. I was really interested in the G21 for a long time, but I don't see ever going back to .45ACP unless I receive lottery winnings or something.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
If it is for only self defense and plinking, I completely agree with Kevin's comments above.

If you ever want to use it for competiton, you won't ever be able to use it in USPSA competition if you get a ported barrel. I guess you technically could, but it would put you in open with guys running 30 round mags.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to have a 21SF and loved it. I had to switch to a 17 and 26 because of ammo cost.

I would recommend the Gen4 21.

Latest posts