Re shaping checkered front strap

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
James @ jrj has been great, timely communication and can fit me in now but, I’m going to try John Larson @http://www.jplprecision.com/
John is local to me up here in the Seattle area and knows Tim Bacus from back in the 90’s when he lived here in Washington state....anyway John said he’d like to take a look especially when I told him the frame to slide at the front was out .018-020 plus, I’m going to drop it off tomorrow afternoon to see what he thinks.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a “made in Brazil” model. Slide to frame fit looks to be quite normal for one of these models.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up this Springfield recently and didn't notice from the photos how square/blocky the shape of the front was, for me it's not horrible but it does feel odd and cosmetically it just doesn't look right.

My question is, am I just out of luck here or would it be possible to re shape it to a more standard radius? I'm assuming if this was attempted some of the existing checkering would still be present and if enough of the existing checkering is still in place could I use it as a guide for a checkering file and re checker?

BTW it's 30LPI and possibly hand checkered as it was built by Tim Bacus back in 2002

View attachment 5710
Do you have a copy if the sales listing?

woodlands747

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe this is the sales listing.

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you have a copy if the sales listing?
Here is the ad, the P.O. Bought it from TRRK trading
I had a chance Friday to swing by jplprecision and have John Larson take a look at it and besides the slop in the frame the rest of the pistol looked good, his comment on barrel fit was “pretty good” and probably shoots decent groups but barrel hood to breech face was just OK with about 40% contact but appeared to have good barrel lug contact and no front to rear movement, slide stop to barrel feet contact was a little high. Ignition parts are quality and fitted very well.

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
“Slide to frame fit”

From the video, I call bullscat on the above.
^^^^^^^^My thoughts exactly!!!!!!
Here are the measurements
Rear of slide .755
Front of slide .755 this was taken where the frame rails align with the slide while in battery.
Rear frame .753
Front frame .743
In defense of both previous owners this pistol doesn't feel near as loose as it actual is when fully assembled, I think it's because of how tight the frame was machined out for the ramped barrel (.001-.002 side to side play) and how tight the barrel fits into the slide.
One other thing I noticed is the slide seems to only be making contact with the front frame rail on the left side , I can see where the dust cover is hitting the spring plug tunnel on the left and at the front left frame rail is the only sign of wear/contact, no wear at the front right, rear frame rails look equal on both sides.

Last edited: