Quick verification of link size.

Cardplayer64

Fanatic
Anyone ever notice your barrel hood move ever so slightly when dry firing. ? Mistakenly installed a #4 link when the stock link provided good lockup. Thought I'd see a difference and I sure did. Vertical strings. Immediately knew the problem. No bushing drag or lug issues and plenty of upper lug lockup. Dry fired while looking thru my magnifier and was noticing the barrel hood rise upon the hammer dropping. Immediately changed back to my stock link size and there was zero movement. And for the record there was no barrel movement at all when pressing on the barrel hood in lockup with either link. It only showed the issue during firing or in my case dry firing. Which explained the. low vertical stringing.
Don't recall seeing this quick check for link size before anywhere but that doesn't mean it's not known .But it may serve as a quick check for for correct link size rather than assuming a longer link will provide better lug engagement and better accuracy...

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Anyone ever notice your barrel hood move ever so slightly when dry firing. ? Mistakenly installed a #4 link when the stock link provided good lockup. Thought I'd see a difference and I sure did. Vertical strings. Immediately knew the problem. No bushing drag or lug issues and plenty of upper lug lockup. Dry fired while looking thru my magnifier and was noticing the barrel hood rise upon the hammer dropping. Immediately changed back to my stock link size and there was zero movement. And for the record there was no barrel movement at all when pressing on the barrel hood in lockup with either link. It only showed the issue during firing or in my case dry firing. Which explained the. low vertical stringing.
Don't recall seeing this quick check for link size before anywhere but that doesn't mean it's not known .But it may serve as a quick check for for correct link size rather than assuming a longer link will provide better lug engagement and better accuracy...
Interesting experience. I learned from it. Thanks for posting.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
had the experience of watching my gunsmith fit a barrel to one of my 1911's... it was quite a learning experience.
I thought any barrel link would work on the replacement barrel I purchased. I was wrong.

Cardplayer64

Fanatic
No such thing as a drop in part.
Recently re-fitted higher EB grip saftey who's tab was relieved on the underside to disengage the grip sooner but did not quite tapper away enough toward the base from the trigger bow to allow free reset of the trigger. It was getting "stuck" or rubbing the trigger bow on reset. Seems to be a common problem or post. Point is; you may think your part dropped in but in more cases than not, it did fit, but didn't fuction as designed.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
link size is critical to proper function. So is proper grip safety blocking arm relief. So is proper fitment of all parts. The 1911 is so easy to detail strip that there are many kitchen table "gunsmiths" who modify the 1911 (many thanks to youtube) and do so unsafely. I only purchase new or , if used, face to face where I can inspect.
USUALLY the #3 link is proper, but not always. Good post OP and happy shooting