Problem with trading in a Kimber with a 5” barrel ?

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
The take on Kimber all over the place, worst 1911 ever made to best ever made, James Yeager even said they are a 600 round pistol, he's certainly not stupid but that's a stupid blanket statement, I have a sample of 6 and based on that sample I would not hesitate to buy another

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had a couple 3 inchers , just really didn't care for them , 4 inch is a good compromise , easy to conceal . The Pro Carry II is a 9mm , alloy frame , easy to shoot . Super Carry Pro is a 45 alloy frame , and a little snappy , Pro TLE is all steel . I've also owned a Raptor , SIS , Classic Royale . Should've never sold the Classic Royale , but I got a good deal on a Wilson .
So jealous! I LOVE the SS RAPTOR II !!! Cannot find one! Bass Pro does have one for sale, but they display their guns in sharp cornered clear plastic holders, and the holder has totally scratched up the underside of the gun forward of the trigger guard. . Also, it's a 5" barrel model, and I want a 4" one. So close, yet, so far.... I have no idea how you would take out all the large scratches from the frosted finish of the underside of that Raptor 5" for sale, where on a: Glock, or Sig, an accessory rail is located.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Kimber is an AMAZING at Marketing their Products and most of the time their pistols will have issues because of Poor Quality Control! Companies like Wilson Combat and Nighthawk Customs WILL NOT take a Kimber in for Custom Work NO Matter How Much Money to Throw their Way!!!! Kimber has advertised that they Provided the USMC with the Official MEU-SOC 1911 Pistol before Colt walked/Stole the Contract from Springfield but the TRUTH is that a couple of West Coast Command Purchased Kimber Pistols because they Undercut the Price of the Springfield Armory Professional Operator by more than half the price and rumor is that the Supply Officer in charge was paid off too but the Pistols DID NOT Survive the 6 month Deployment and all the Pistols were Trashed after about 3 months into the Deployment but a deal was worked out and those Units Received SA Professionals Operators from the Unit that they were Replacing! The USMC MEU-SOC Operators Shoot their Weapons almost everyday and they put a couple of hundred rounds daily to keep their Skill Level at the Highest Possible Level their weapons need to be Surgical Instruments and the Kimber Could NOT Make it BUT they have Sold thousands of 1911 Warriors and Desert Warriors because they have great Marketing and ONE of the Clauses of the Contract that allowed the Marines to get the Pistols so cheap was that they could use the Story for Marketing just like Kimber did with the LAPD SWAT and SIS it is very interesting how Kimber Makes all this DEALS with California Based Governmental Agencies!

OMG!! I believe you, I got my Kimber for free. I was/am willing to pay my $$ for a new SS Kimber Raptor II, because it's so unique and cool looking, but would NEVER be a workhorse gun like my Glock 19, or Sig 365, or my Walther. All those get regularly thrown in my glovebox, but I wouldn't do that to a Kimber Raptor II !! I just LOVE how it looks!! GREAT design! Nothing else like it! I did hear about some in the military and also about the LA, Ca. SWAT TEAM uses Kimber 1911's. But I really didn't think they were THAT bad!!! WOW!! So, of you have say, $800.00 MAX, what brand of 1911 would you buy??

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
I own a Raptor. Excellent shooting gun. No problems; accurate, has a tritium front sight, feels good, excellent looking. my favorite carry gun, ( have a Nighthawk on order), see absolutely nothing wrong with the Raptor. If you get it ; you won't be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SO want a 4" SS RAPTOR II !!! Cannot find one for sale : (((((

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
My three favorite gunsmiths here will not touch a Kimber. The last one I had I found out the hard way that the barrel is in the white after my daughter took it to Minnesota for two weeks. She does know how to maintain a pistol. I took it to Robar and they told me that was one of their biggest items to refinish. They love them!
Barrel in the white? What does that mean? And why would a gunsmith refuse money by not working on a Kimber?? I owned a high-end bicycle shop in the late 90's. Average bike price was north of $1500.00, and up to $5K+. But we worked on/repaired Walmart bikes all the time. $$ is $$! Why would a gunsmith refuse $$?? Makes no sense to me. But I LIKE to make money! If that entailed fixing $125.00-$200.00 new bikes, so be it!! Some customers are cheap, some have little money. Not for me to judge, or be a "snob". I was happy to make them happy!! : ))) And Kimber's are NOT Walmart priced guns!! WTF? Do NOT get that at all!

Angel Feliciano

Fanatic
Barrel in the white? What does that mean? And why would a gunsmith refuse money by not working on a Kimber?? I owned a high-end bicycle shop in the late 90's. Average bike price was north of $1500.00, and up to $5K+. But we worked on/repaired Walmart bikes all the time. $$ is $$! Why would a gunsmith refuse $$?? Makes no sense to me. But I LIKE to make money! If that entailed fixing $125.00-$200.00 new bikes, so be it!! Some customers are cheap, some have little money. Not for me to judge, or be a "snob". I was happy to make them happy!! : ))) And Kimber's are NOT Walmart priced guns!! WTF? Do NOT get that at all!
1911 Gunsmiths will not work on Kimber Pistols because they are a PAIN to work on because Kimber does NOT Use Standard Parts in their Pistols, the Holes in the majority of their pistols are not the Standard/Mil-Spec Size, and each pistol that leave the factory is basically has a 50/50 chance of becoming a hand grenade because their so call in house frames and slides are usually either TOO Hard or TOO Soft! Basically they are a HOT MESS!

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
OMG! Glad mine was given to me as a gift!! Can it be as bad as these $400.00 S.A. made 1911's on YouTube, they say are as accurate, and reliable as a Sig or Kimber?

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
OMG! They REALLY are THAT bad??? A lot of people RAVE about them!! Including that retard on YouTube, weapons education. Have you seen this idiot??? Does have a hot wife.

Angel Feliciano

Fanatic
OMG! Glad mine was given to me as a gift!! Can it be as bad as these $400.00 S.A. made 1911's on YouTube, they say are as accurate, and reliable as a Sig or Kimber?
Springfield Armory Mil-Specs are Awesome Pistols to build Up! I took a NM Serial Number Mil-Spec and turn it into a very nice USMC MEU-SOC pistol but from the early days with Millett Sights No night sights. I have 2 Sig 1911s both are TacOps one is a 5 inch the other is the 4.25 and you get allot of PISTOL for the MONEY! Sprinfield Loaded Parkerized is also a GREAT Carry Pistol that was my first 1911 and I got one back in 2008 and I still have it. The only issue with the Loaded mode from Springfield is that the Night Sights DO NOT use Standard Novak front Sight Dovetail so it is a PAIN in the ARSE to get them swapped out and I am in the Process of getting my Night Sights Replaced in my Loaded. Sig Uses Standard Novak so that is EASY to just POP OUT the old ones out and New Ones IN!

Angel Feliciano

Fanatic
Right now with the Social Chaos and the Pandemic Shutting Down many of the Weapon Manufacturing Lines Prices are OUT of Control!!!! I am a FFL Dealer and a Custom Weapons Manufacture but I cannot GET ANYTHING RIGHT NOW from my Wholesalers and Distributors!

SJO

Fanatic
I have had my share of problems with Kimbers, especially with those made in the last years. Presently I have two stainless Raptors ( cdr & full size) that have been a night mare since day one. To make it worst their customer service is one of the worst.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Kimber is an AMAZING at Marketing their Products and most of the time their pistols will have issues because of Poor Quality Control! Companies like Wilson Combat and Nighthawk Customs WILL NOT take a Kimber in for Custom Work NO Matter How Much Money to Throw their Way!!!! Kimber has advertised that they Provided the USMC with the Official MEU-SOC 1911 Pistol before Colt walked/Stole the Contract from Springfield but the TRUTH is that a couple of West Coast Command Purchased Kimber Pistols because they Undercut the Price of the Springfield Armory Professional Operator by more than half the price and rumor is that the Supply Officer in charge was paid off too but the Pistols DID NOT Survive the 6 month Deployment and all the Pistols were Trashed after about 3 months into the Deployment but a deal was worked out and those Units Received SA Professionals Operators from the Unit that they were Replacing! The USMC MEU-SOC Operators Shoot their Weapons almost everyday and they put a couple of hundred rounds daily to keep their Skill Level at the Highest Possible Level their weapons need to be Surgical Instruments and the Kimber Could NOT Make it BUT they have Sold thousands of 1911 Warriors and Desert Warriors because they have great Marketing and ONE of the Clauses of the Contract that allowed the Marines to get the Pistols so cheap was that they could use the Story for Marketing just like Kimber did with the LAPD SWAT and SIS it is very interesting how Kimber Makes all this DEALS with California Based Governmental Agencies!

Wilson might be a little picky on what Kimbers they work on, but they will work on Kimbers.

"* We will perform custom gunsmithing work on most of the following manufacturer's 1911 Pistols: Colt, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Kimber, Les Baer, Remington, Rugar, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Springfield."

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Wilson might be a little picky on what Kimbers they work on, but they will work on Kimbers.

"* We will perform custom gunsmithing work on most of the following manufacturer's 1911 Pistols: Colt, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Kimber, Les Baer, Remington, Rugar, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Springfield."

Lots of internet misinformation out there about Kimber . I've never had an issue with their customer service or their guns . Wilson has also been fantastic to deal with . The only time I saw a gunsmith turn down working on a Kimber was because someone else had modified it . I find if you're calm and polite with service rep you get farther .

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
1911 Gunsmiths will not work on Kimber Pistols because they are a PAIN to work on because Kimber does NOT Use Standard Parts in their Pistols, the Holes in the majority of their pistols are not the Standard/Mil-Spec Size, and each pistol that leave the factory is basically has a 50/50 chance of becoming a hand grenade because their so call in house frames and slides are usually either TOO Hard or TOO Soft! Basically they are a HOT MESS!
I hear ya. It seems to be black or white. Kimber's are ****, or, my Kimber has shot 50,000 trouble free rounds-I LOVE Kimber!!! Not much in between. Makes me wonder.... My next 1911 will be a Sig STX. as I cannot afford: Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, or, Wilson Combat. Inspected a new Wilson Combat, damn near $4,000.00!! It better do more than shoot bullets at THAT PRICE!!! WOW!! No idea what an Ed Brown costs, as I've never seen one! But, if you can drop your AMEX Centurion on a $4,000.00+ gun, god bless you! I cannot on a teacher's salary. Wish I could! Wish I could have a BMW M-6 convertible to go with it!! And a supermodel in the passenger seat! A Sig STX 1911 is as high as I will go. I have a Kimber, and I had a great honeymoon, but now, I want a divorce.... Too many scary stories. And the honeymoon ended when it was BRAND new, and I ran a clean patch with gun oil on it, thru the barrel, and it was black! That PISSED me off! My new: German made Walther was test fired as well, they give you the test target in the box, barrel, you could eat off of it! Same for Glock. They give you the fired shells in a little envelope. Barrel perfectly clean. But Kimber? $800.00+tax, and they cannot clean the gun?? One year warranty? NOT AGAIN! Hello Sig!

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Lots of internet misinformation out there about Kimber . I've never had an issue with their customer service or their guns . Wilson has also been fantastic to deal with . The only time I saw a gunsmith turn down working on a Kimber was because someone else had modified it . I find if you're calm and polite with service rep you get farther .
I'm not sure about "misinformation". See my "I bought a new Kimber!" Post above. Too lazy to clean the barrel after test firing it? One year warranty? NO warranty on the finish that the Kimber plastic bag scratched slightly? What happens to the finish if I put it in a holster?? Glock refinished my entire slide, no questions, NO CHARGE! In 2 days! Because it scratched in a leather holster. And gave me 2 round extensions on my six mags for free! They just asked me if I wanted them. I was amazed at their customer service! And free: chrome logo metal pins,(lapel and tie pin). Glock nylon logo patches, pens, 2 key lanyards, two keychains with little highly detailed plastic model 19 guns attached, a Glock journal, their annual magazines you read, stickers, and a Glock pencil. All free. All you have to do is either go there, or call them, give them your guns serial #, and they mail all this free stuff to you! Kimber? Uh.. No. Fix finish wear, nope, not covered.

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
OMG!! I believe you, I got my Kimber for free. I was/am willing to pay my $$ for a new SS Kimber Raptor II, because it's so unique and cool looking, but would NEVER be a workhorse gun like my Glock 19, or Sig 365, or my Walther. All those get regularly thrown in my glovebox, but I wouldn't do that to a Kimber Raptor II !! I just LOVE how it looks!! GREAT design! Nothing else like it! I did hear about some in the military and also about the LA, Ca. SWAT TEAM uses Kimber 1911's. But I really didn't think they were THAT bad!!! WOW!! So, of you have say, $800.00 MAX, what brand of 1911 would you buy??
Have the Raptor SS II and it is awesome. Accurate, great feel shooting, and great to carry.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Have the Raptor SS II and it is awesome. Accurate, great feel shooting, and great to carry.
I'm now eyeing a Sig STX 1911. I love how the Raptor looks! But I think the Sig is a better investment, now that I've learned so much from this forum about 1911's. Had zero education when buying the Kimber. Impulse buy. And THREE Sig mags with it! Wow, what a concept! Hello Kimber? Where are my missing two mags?

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
"Guy on YouTube said"

without knowing the details it's hard to know where he is coming from.

I have said this before but will say again.

I have volunteered at 2 different ranges as a NRA certified RSOfor about 10 years now. Of the 1911's I have personally witnessed with problems the overwhelming majority are Kimber.

But that doesn't tell me anything. They probably sell more 1911's than most manufacturers. So we see more on the range.

That also doesn't tell me anything about how the gun was maintained or the quality of the magazines they were using.

I shake my head at someone who spends $1,200+ on a pistol and then uses nothing but "6 dollar gun show special" magazines.

I think I have seen the fewest issues with Colt's. But again, Colt probably produces the least volume of any 1911 manufacturers now. The Colts seem to have a greater number of "Government Models" that have not been updated and run really well

in the local online gun sale site it seems like there is always a bunch of Kimber's for sale that seem to take a bit to sell when the Colts and Springfield's seem to go pretty quick. (And heaven help the poor guy trying to recover the money he spent on the Sig's. LOL)

But all that is strictly a sample and does not really tell anyone much.

My beef with Kimber is the models I would be interested in are $1,200+. And that is close enough I will buy a Dan Wesson.

Latest posts