Primers- regular vs magnum

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have heard of loaders using small rifle primers in pistol cartridges only if the firing pin will hit it hard enough.
All primers have different charges, we have seen this in primer test showing how strong an effect they have on the powder charge.

Use caution as you would after opening a new pound of powder from a different lot.
I know that the magnum CCI primers I used were stronger in igniting the Win 296 ball powder then the CCI standard primers.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I have heard of loaders using small rifle primers in pistol cartridges only if the firing pin will hit it hard enough.
All primers have different charges, we have seen this in primer test showing how strong an effect they have on the powder charge.

Use caution as you would after opening a new pound of powder from a different lot.
I know that the magnum CCI primers I used were stronger in igniting the Win 296 ball powder then the CCI standard primers.
Funny you should mention powder from a different lot. I recently found Unique to weigh differently. What used to weigh 5.9 grns weighs 5.3.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Funny you should mention powder from a different lot. I recently found Unique to weigh differently. What used to weigh 5.9 grns weighs 5.3.

I worked up a great .44 mag load using 2400 I had 3 lbs in stock.
After I bought a new lb. I loaded my favorite load & proceeded to bang the cases out from the revolvers cylinder &
ended up shooting them in a Marlin lever action. Way too Hot!

When you change anything, work back up again to a safe load.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I worked up a great .44 mag load using 2400 I had 3 lbs in stock.
After I bought a new lb. I loaded my favorite load & proceeded to bang the cases out from the revolvers cylinder &
ended up shooting them in a Marlin lever action. Way too Hot!

When you change anything, work back up again to a safe load.
I had been loading 45 auto rim with Lee Powder scoops, double checked against electronic scale when opening a fresh pound. That's when I caught the difference. So then I checked 2400 and Tite Group, still accurate. I leave my Dillon 650 set up for Tite Group, scale it before every loading session.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
Right, wrong, indifferent, I've saved myself a lot of grief the past decade or so by hitting dead middle on load data recipes when a big and low is present, this has been fine for sub of magnum primers in lieu of standard as well.
But your loads can't be optimized for accuracy?!!?
Probly not to the very best degree. Here is a little secret. I can't shoot all that well anymore anyways.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Right, wrong, indifferent, I've saved myself a lot of grief the past decade or so by hitting dead middle on load data recipes when a big and low is present, this has been fine for sub of magnum primers in lieu of standard as well.
But your loads can't be optimized for accuracy?!!?
Probly not to the very best degree. Here is a little secret. I can't shoot all that well anymore anyways.
I can relate to this. The eyesight and steadiness change with age. My guns and ammo are much more accurate than I am.

dennishoddy

Back during the Clinton years when there was a primer shortage, a lot of us were using every primer we could find on whatever shell we could stuff them in. But, as has been said, we backed off the loads and worked up.
My stock of large rifle primers is drying up currently but there are a thousand magnum rifle round primers in the reloading cabinet that I'll start using.
I know there are primers out there, but I'm not paying those gouger prices until my entire stock has been used up.
During the obummer reign of terror, .22 rimfire supplies were scooped up by hoarders and resellers.
I had thousands of rounds stocked up because i was shooting Steel challenges matches every weekend and .22 was the caliber of choice.
As the shortage and high prices continued, my stock dwindled. I had vowed years earlier that I would not buy .22 rimfire again until it got down to .04 cents a round.
Stash got down to critical levels before the prices finally got down to .04 cents and finally .03 cents during Trumps tenure.
I can assure you I will never run out of .22 rimfire until the day I die. Huge stash of it now.
Probably have a lifetime supply of spp and srp in stock.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My guns and ammo are much more accurate than I am.
There are times however. I shot High-power for 1.5 years with my new M1A & made Sharpshooter.
I had a Barnette heavy match bbl to replace the thin NM military barrel & made Expert in the next few matches.
Sometimes you can out shoot your gun, it pays to make sure your gun does out shoot you.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
There are times however. I shot High-power for 1.5 years with my new M1A & made Sharpshooter.
I had a Barnette heavy match bbl to replace the thin NM military barrel & made Expert in the next few matches.
Sometimes you can out shoot your gun, it pays to make sure your gun does out shoot you.
Doesn't ever seem to be a problem for me :)

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't detect any difference from one primer compared to another. If it fits the hole, I'll use it.
Works for me. Years ago I was loading on a Sunday, ran out of large pistol primers, got out a micrometer, checked the large rifle primers, they were identical. Used them in 44 mag. No issues. Since then I've used small rifle in .357, again no issues.

Latest posts