Pinned 1911 Front Sights...

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have to admit, this is a new one on me. Now, I got a Colt customized by Integrity Arms, and it had a pinned sight, so I guess I have seen it once before...

My Springfield RO I bought used a few years ago had a loose front sight. So loose I pulled it off with my fingers. Long story short, I got some good advice from Steve Owens, ordered the front sight he recommended, tossed the slide in a vise and got it installed with some minimal filing. (roll pin was a tad too long.)

It looks more "custom" than the fiber optic that was on the gun before. Not scared of a little bubba 'smithin... :cool: front sight.jpeg

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have to admit, this is a new one on me. Now, I got a Colt customized by Integrity Arms, and it had a pinned sight, so I guess I have seen it once before...

My Springfield RO I bought used a few years ago had a loose front sight. So loose I pulled it off with my fingers. Long story short, I got some good advice from Steve Owens, ordered the front sight he recommended, tossed the slide in a vise and got it installed with some minimal filing. (roll pin was a tad too long.)

It looks more "custom" than the fiber optic that was on the gun before. Not scared of a little bubba 'smithin... :cool: View attachment 25903
Nice job. I've seen some boogered up slides by some people who changed a front sight. I saw one that someone tried to drift (read...pound) a front sight out with the pin in it. At least he used a brass object to hit it. There were brass marks on the slide where he missed a time or four.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Thanks! I used a brass punch with a paper towel between the punch and sight. The supplied roll pin was a tad too long, had to back it our and file it down, so the top of the roll pin is silver colored. Sharpie took care of that. :cool:

I am liking the Kensight on this one. It has the tritium inside a white circle. This is my shooter, of all my 1911's, this one shoots the best for me. I plan on testing it Sunday, just to make sure the new sight shoots as well as the old one.

Latest posts