Permit question

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
My son and his family are moving from Indiana to Florida for his job. He asked me if they would have to get new gun permits when they get settled, as they both have IN. lifetime permits now. Not sure how that works, I know IN. permits are valid in FL., but not sure about moving there. Any gun law smart Floridians care to jump in here? Thanks in advance!

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I think a true California oxymoron would be "intelligent politician", wouldn't you agree? I've lived out there three different times, twice in the military, and once contracting to Pacific Bell, building their PCS cellular system in the 90's. It was fun in the Bay area in the 60's, after that, all downhill. Today, not on a bet.
You have my sympathy!

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I believe @HooDoo Man is correct on the residency. I know up here in the Northeast (CT to be specific), an Out-of-State resident can apply for an Out-of-State CCW permit. However, once you become a resident, you need to apply (yup...they make you go through the whole process, even if you already have an Out-of-State permit) and get a Resident CCW permit. I think alot of States are similar....with the exception of those moving to Constitutional Carry....

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always used this site:

When you click on it for FL it says 'IN res permit only' meaning that technically once he converts to a FL resident he'll need a FL permit.

A FL permit is a good one to have; I've both a FL and a TX CHL (or CWP or whatever). FL and TX have the greatest reciprocity of any CHL.

FWIW, the IN permit will likely work while he's in the transition; it's just once you get the FL DL and don't have some address anymore back in IN that things can become problematic.

Latest posts