Parts Cleaning

Oleg Tolmachev

Well-Known Fanatic
Perfect tool for cleaning small gun parts - my wife's sonic jewelry cleaner. I bought it for her 5 years ago and she never used it. Now its mine!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 32

dennishoddy

Yeah, they work great. A guy at work bought a commercial model thats big enough to put the BCG, and receiver from his AR'S into. He said it cleans around the locking lugs really good.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I use a mixture of odorless mineral spirits and some hoppes#5 solvent (although next time I will try a different solvent just for experimenting sake) and it works good. I always disassemble the BCG and drop it in the pan with the OMS mixture and then proceed to clean the rest of the rifle. By the time I'm done, the OMS mixture is a dirty gray color and a lot of carbon and crud has settled to the bottom. Take the parts out, scrub them some, wipe them dry, and oil them. And the best part, I can pour the OMS mixture back in the jug and reuse it next time, most of the crud doesn't go back in the jug but if some does it settles to the bottom and doesn't get poured back out next time. Its made cleaning my AR's easier, especially after shooting suppressed a lot.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
Wormey- where do you get the OMS? Whats the ratio of that to hoppes?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Wormey- where do you get the OMS? Whats the ratio of that to hoppes?
Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware... And just because it's odorless doesn't mean it won't turn your brain to mush, so get ventilated.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Ya I got mine at Walmart. It still has a strong odor but was told to get the odorless kind because its more filtered or something. I just dumped a 3/4 bottle of hoppes in it I had laying around. I got the big jug of OMS. Any type of solvent should work. It just adds the extra little 'kick' to the OMS to really get the crud and carbon off. And I wear rubber gloves or use pliers to get the parts out of the solution, I don't think that **** is good to get all over your hands. Probably absorbs through my skin into my blood stream and is turning me into a zombie or something.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
To give credit where credit is due. Quib has taught me A LOT about AR's when I first got into them.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1607-QUIB-S-ODORLESS-MINERAL-SPIRITS-CLP-BOLT-CLEANING-PROCEDURE

dennishoddy

I wear rubber gloves or use pliers to get the parts out of the solution, I don't think that **** is good to get all over your hands. Probably absorbs through my skin into my blood stream and is turning me into a zombie or something.

It WILL absorb through the skin. You don't want to inhale it either.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Mineral spirits are organic solvents

After they enter the body (inhalation and absorbed through skin) they settle in fat and organs
Read the MSDS and back of the can

Good thing I'm a skinny punk.

But seriously do they ever pass or leave? Are there any major health concerns or is it just something to be aware of?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
(safety guy in real life )

I'd find some of those cheap green chem gloves at the hardware store if your gonna be in it much
Ventilation.....
Common sense

For giggles do a google search: msds for .... And you will come up with the msds sheets for whatever product you type in.
Of course ... Most of the basic stuff is on the box or bottle most chemicals are packed in.

Organic solvents don't come out in the body wastes.... They collect in the liver and body fat. Chronic over exposure can cause all sorts of trouble

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I usually use it once very few weeks and have been avoiding getting it on my hands. I use it in my garage so ventilation probably isn't the best but I have two ceiling fans and central heat and air in my garage so maybe I'll be ok. The fumes have never bothered me but I don't like to get it on my hands anymore.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea MEK is an awesome cleaner! funny how 20 years ago it was fine now if you say anything about MEK you hear OMG what did you say! the more we figure out about chemicals and what they do to your body really has me wondering what's gonna happen to my body and what has already happened. I'm safer with things these days but what's already happened can't be taken back. Later,

Kirk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
So all those years of cleaning with MEK was bad for me ??? huh might explain a lot. Later,

Kirk
MEK is bad ****. I worked in aerospace and we used so much cleaning solvent that MEK was basically outlawed for us, not only by OSHA but Boeing, Lockheed, etc. didn't allow it as an approved solvent, they were probably just being PC to satiate their .gov contracts. But MPK is much much safer and is pretty much the standard that MEK used to be. Doesn't clean as good but it's not a bad cleaner either. We bought multiple drums at a time.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Damn I spill that crap all over the place when I tumble brass! Now wonder I got fat. I am carrying mineral spiritis around with me. I might turn into a zombie soon.

Sonic Cleaners rock. Trying to find one big enough for an entire upper.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Damn I spill that crap all over the place when I tumble brass! Now wonder I got fat. I am carrying mineral spiritis around with me. I might turn into a zombie soon.

Sonic Cleaners rock. Trying to find one big enough for an entire upper.

Look up medical grade ultrasonic cleaners. Like the ones from Steris. They used to make them big enough to fit a couch, but the new ones can only fit a small engine block. They will also cost ~$$,$$$.

I think there's guy who makes them out of New England, named Gary. I think his are only a few thousand dollars. You might be able to find one much cheaper from a dental supply company.

Latest posts