o de Hoppe's 9

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Quick story about Hoppies.
We had a 3 day High power regional over at Oak Ridge TN.

After a long day the wife & I were cleaning our rifles, when the qt. bottle of Hoppes got knocked over. :eek:
The fist knock came just about 5 minutes after that, followed by other Shooters asking about the smell of Hoppies all over the hotel.

Lucky for us the whole place was filled with High Power shooters who all loved the smell of Hoppes # 9 ;)
We all had pleasant dreams about getting up at 05:00 & starting the day on the line, or in the pits.

1644162730432.png

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
.." when the qt. bottle of Hoppes got knocked over..."

Learned my lesson many yrs. ago.
I keep one of the small-sized glass btls. of Hoppes for cleaning my firearms, & I only fill it about 1/2 full..
That way (if ) when it gets knocked over, there's only a few oz. wasted.;)
You sir are a very smart man.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
These things are very weak. The smell did not last very long. For $3 each, not a good buy. 1649925085520.gif

I like the idea, but never again. 1649925271989.gif

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
These things are very weak. The smell did not last very long. For $3 each, not a good buy. View attachment 25498

I like the idea, but never again. View attachment 25499
That's too bad. I was in a gun store a couple weeks ago, and I bought a quart of Original Hoppes. When I got it home I opened it, and it smells like the real stuff, so will have to try it. Been too busy to get much range time in. :(

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't think they made the "old"Hoppes anymore.
The last 2 times I ordered it, the "new", weaker-smelling " synthetic" or 'new blend" version is what was sent.
Just checked on my current bottle, the label does say, " synthetic blend".. I believe this new version is not as strong as the old #9,
can't say for sure if it works as well, better, or not as wellas the old formula. I made a batch of Ed's Red and have been using it interchangeably with my Hoppes.
One thing is certain, it doesn't smell as strong..which leads me to believe it's weaker.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't think they made the "old"Hoppes anymore.
The last 2 times I ordered it, the "new", weaker-smelling " synthetic" or 'new blend" version is what was sent.
Just checked on my current bottle, the label does say, " synthetic blend".. I believe this new version is not as strong as the old #9,
can't say for sure if it works as well, better, or not as wellas the old formula. I made a batch of Ed's Red and have been using it interchangeably with my Hoppes.
One thing is certain, it doesn't smell as strong..which leads me to believe it's weaker.
I have no old Hoppes to compare it too. At least it still smells kinda like the real thing. :)

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an old GLASS quart sized bottle, with a few oz. of the good stuff still in the bottom....
& it smells a LOT stronger than the new synthetic blend.
Hopefully the new stuff will still clean decently

Latest posts