Non-Lethal methods

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
This topic is a little different than the norm, since we are a firearms oriented group. This might be best answered by a professional but anyone can chime in.

Sometimes we are forced to go unarmed for whatever reason (another thread) What is the favored method of non-lethal self-defense. i.e kubaton, asp, pepper spray, knife (although could be lethal), keys, head butt?

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry a Ka-bar TDI anywhere I go that I can't have a gun, I have thoughts about an Asp, but not sure about those. I have had police tell me that it would be illegal for non LE to carry one, I assume that is wrong. Kinda curious about what some of the guys with experience will have to say about the merits of carrying those. I also wonder about the legal issues that could arise from beating someone senseless for pulling a knife on you...

dennishoddy

Traveling is tough for me. I have to stop at every towns PD and register my hands as lethal weapons.

Actually I carry a pocket knife, and if possible something heavy or the wife's umbrella to fend off somebody if necessary. Shoot, even a tightly rolled newspaper or magazine can be used to strike somebody under the chin with quite a bit of force. If we have to go to the ground, I'll try to remember the old high school wrestling techniques, and go for the eyes or nards

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Traveling is tough for me. I have to stop at every towns PD and register my hands as lethal weapons.

Actually I carry a pocket knife, and if possible something heavy or the wife's umbrella to fend off somebody if necessary. Shoot, even a tightly rolled newspaper or magazine can be used to strike somebody under the chin with quite a bit of force. If we have to go to the ground, I'll try to remember the old high school wrestling techniques, and go for the eyes or nards

Just like our fellow primates. Ever watch REAL chimpanzees and gorillas fight? It's not like in the movies. The first things they attack are the face and genitals. Sometimes at the same time!

TroyF

TheBearcat
Troy, what are your thoughts on the original question?

I like the kubaton. Quite a bit actually. Have one on my key ring. It can be used to manipulte small joints (wrist), strike vital areas, activate pressure points, etc......
A small can of OC (pepper spray) is also a very good option. Spray and run away. The effect of OC is to distract and disorient. It does a pretty good jon of this.

TroyF

TheBearcat
I might add that a quality flashlight can take the place of a Kubaton. All the same techniques with added benefit of illumination....

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
can you snap a cell phone picture of your kubaton and post it?

2012-02-08_13-50-55_791.jpg

I like the kubaton. Quite a bit actually. Have one on my key ring. It can be used to manipulte small joints (wrist), strike vital areas, activate pressure points, etc......

TroyF

TheBearcat
Yes. It is aluminum. I've used it for wrist throws and wrist drags. If it were plastic, it would flex too much for that.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to have a kubaton on my key chain until I started working here.

Latest posts