NFA Trusts

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm becoming weaker and weaker in resisting the NFA temptations. A trust seems to be the way to go and the ability to efile for some forms makes it really appealing. Who here has made a trust? How did you do it? I've read of people to have made trusts on their own, used templates online, or paid attorneys.

I've read of a law office that has DIY kits online. Anybody heard good or bad about these guys? http://www.doityourselfdocuments.com/Estateplanning/Trust/nfaTrust.aspx

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
There is an attorney at my local range that does it for all of us that need or want one. I looked into doing it myself, but the difference in cost with having an attorney do it for me just wasn't worth me doing it. I'd hate to screw up something simple not knowing what I was doing.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
can someone school me on why i should do a trust if im going to get a supressor or sbr? if it makes any difference i share all my firearms and such with my dad brother fatherinlaw wife and kids...

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
this guy in above post doesnt recommend the trust... so i guess im back to my original question of why should i do a trust when i get ready to build my sbr and buy my silencer?

and by the way it is such a crock of $%(^ that we have to do anything to own these items!

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
It's faster (with Eforms), no finger prints, no CLEO signature, joint ownership with other people if you want it, easier to pass down...

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
It was my understanding that the rules on trusts had changed and that all parties on a trust now required fingerprints, clef signature and so forth.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Josh Beauchamp said:
It was my understanding that the rules on trusts had changed and that all parties on a trust now required fingerprints, clef signature and so forth.
They were supposed to take effect but have been postponed. If your trust is set up before it goes into effect, it's grandfathered in. You can't get LEO sign off in Hillsborough or Pinellas county here in FL. Neither CLEO will sign off for anyone. That's one of the reasons why trusts are popular here.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Had read of many people who used 199trust.com. Saw a deal for $69 on Gearhog and ordered one. Once I get it I'll start in on an SBR. I keep seeing reports of form 1 efiles being approved in 3-4 weeks.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Cameron Gonder (gondo) said:
this guy in above post doesnt recommend the trust... so i guess im back to my original question of why should i do a trust when i get ready to build my sbr and buy my silencer?

and by the way it is such a crock of $%(^ that we have to do anything to own these items!
Benefit of a trust in your case would be sharing the NFA items. You could add the people you want to share the items with as trustees and then it's legal for them to be in possession of them.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
FYI, efile form 4s is not expected to return to service until late winter at the earliest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
FYI, efile form 4s is not expected to return to service until late winter at the earliest. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sorry again im getting up to speed fast but what does this mean?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It means you won't be able to file for transfers (form 4) of nfa items until late winter. Only builds (form 1).

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
It means you won't be able to file for transfers (form 4) of nfa items until late winter. Only builds (form 1).
damn i though the efile system was going well and people were getting transfers in record time? form 4 applys to both sbr and suppressor?

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Cameron Gonder (gondo) said:
damn i though the efile system was going well and people were getting transfers in record time? form 4 applys to both sbr and suppressor?
If you make a SBR you have to do a form 1 because you are manufacturing it. If you transfer it to someone, you must do a form 4 for the transfer. Purchased suppressors are form 4. You can build your own suppressor if you have the tools and capability and do a form 1 for it because there is no transfer.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Washburn said:
It's faster (with Eforms), no finger prints, no CLEO signature, joint ownership with other people if you want it, easier to pass down...
So if I'm planning to SBR my 9mm AR do I do the Eform myself?

Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
FYI, efile form 4s is not expected to return to service until late winter at the earliest. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the still correct? I was going to do a form 1 (sbr) and form 4 (supressor) at the same time. Now doesn't the place I buy the can from do the Efile for me?